Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. . . a Roomba® for leaves? ? ? :(

I'd buy one.

Anybody have any opinion on what kind of MPH and CFM in a leaf blower it takes to make the job a bit less tedious? My electric handheld is decidedly wimpy for this yard.

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
I did the blow&vacc thing in the front yard two weeks ago; just a small plot about 30x50. It filled four trashbags full with finely shredded leaves :? . At first I put the bags out to the road and then I thought better of it and used it as mulch so the yard could get a few nutrients as it all decomposed.

I don't know how well a bagging 'Yardba' would work but one that just ground up the leaves and left the remains on the grass as fertilizer wouldn't be a bad idea. There are already self-controlled mowers out there, so the concept wouldn't be hard to modify.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Rugerer said:
. . . a Roomba® for leaves? ? ? :(

I'd buy one.

Anybody have any opinion on what kind of MPH and CFM in a leaf blower it takes to make the job a bit less tedious? My electric handheld is decidedly wimpy for this yard.
A mower set up for "composting" (re-chops, does not discharge) is the best thing you can do.

Bagging is simply removing nutrients from the lawn.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,516 Posts
Not an automated Roomba, but several companies make yard vacs that you tow behind a yard or garden tractor.

·
Registered
555 Posts
When it comes to leaf blowers MPH means nothing, the only number that matters is CFM. You need to move a tremendous volume of air to banish leaves to your neighbors yard. Buy the blower with the highest CFM your wallet allows.
Here's an example, imagine air coming out of a drinking straw at 200mph then consider the air leaving a garbage can size opening at 200mph. Both speeds are the same, which one do you think will work better at pushing those evil leaves into the abyss. Similar situation when it comes to pressure washers, 2500psi at 1.5 GPM vs. 4 GPM.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
suttree said:
According to composting books I have leafed through (pun intended) leaves don't have much value.
And yet, they have some. Yes?

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
phantoms said:
Not an automated Roomba, but several companies make yard vacs that you tow behind a yard or garden tractor.
Yard tractor is on my dream list, somewhere below some amount of pistolery. (To keep on my boat, of course).

galvatron said:
Buy the blower with the highest CFM your wallet allows
I wondered a time or two what it'd be to rent an aircraft engine to run for 10 minutes on the side of the yard. :D

It wouldn't be so bad, except I seem to have two kinds of trees, early and late. By late Oct, the yard is covered deep, and I have to blow them before they mat up. (I let one year go too long and regretted it big time). Then by early Dec, the yard is covered again. So I have to do the chore at least twice a year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts