Why be an NRA Member?

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by USMC - Retired, Mar 10, 2007.

1. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Today I got a PM from a member asking why they should become a member of the NRA. More specifically, what direct benefits they would receive with membership. After putting together a response I thought it might be good information for the rest of our membership. It's a bit long but well worth your time to read.

GPO Member,
    Besides being and Endowment Life member of the NRA, I am also a Official NRA Recruiter. What that means to you is I can get you a membership at $25.00 a year instead of the normal $35.00. This is a deal I offer to all GCO and GPO members. I have been a member of the NRA for twenty six of my forty two years of life and a life member for the last Twenty. I joined the NRA because I realized that our rights were under attack and they were the only organization at the time that was doing anything about it. Just as the GCO is fighting in Georgia to fix our local laws the NRA fights at a national level to defend the second amendment. They can be effective and get the recognition that they do because of membership numbers. You may think a single membership would not make a difference but the effect is exponential. I have found that when I sign someone up in the NRA that I am soon signing up their family, friends, coworkers and so on. Once you start reading the publications you get and seeing what the NRA does for all gun owners you’ll want everyone you know to be a member. Now, as to your question of what you get directly as a member, I have drawn some info from the NRA website and summarized a list of membership benefits for you.

These basic membership benefits are automatically included with your NRA Annual Membership or Life Membership, along with special members-only discounts and services.

An official NRA Membership ID card - showing your Membership ID number and expiration date or Life Member status. You should carry this card with you at all times to receive discounts and other benefits of membership.

With all regular memberships, you will get a choice of subscription to American Rifleman, American Hunter, or America's 1st Freedom, These publications will keep you up to date on second amendment issues as well as things going on in the firearms world. In my mind, just the magazine alone is worth the cost of membership.

Annual members receive $5,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage at NO COST to you. The plan covers accidents at, or to and from, an NRA event; and accidents that occur during the use of firearms or hunting equipment while hunting. Insurance must be activated at time of renewal. (Does not include Junior membersip.)

Life members receive $10,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage at NO COST to you. The plan covers accidents at, or to and from, an NRA event; and accidents that occur during the use of firearms or hunting equipment while hunting. Insurance must be activated at time of upgrade to Life member status

Law Enforcement Officers, that are NRA members, killed in the line of duty will have $25,000 in coverage.

$1,000 of ArmsCare coverage with your NRA membership. This plan covers insured firearms, air guns, bows and arrows against theft, accidental loss, and damage. For special provisions and limitations of the ArmsCare Plan see the NRA website.

New and Enhanced insurance coverages through the NRA Endorsed Insurance Programs. You can enroll on-line for Life, Health and Accident and Individual Property and Liability insurance or call. New Commercial Property Liability Insurance Program for NRA Affiliated Clubs and Business Alliance Members,

The most important benefit of NRA membership, however, is the defense of your Constitutional right to keep and bear arms. NRA-ILA tracks the issues and alerts members about legislation involving firearms and hunting at the federal, state and local levels of government. Successful legislative action begins with you -- the individual member.

If you have any questions of wish to take me up on the membership discount offer please let me know. Thanks for your interest in joining the fight for your rights!

2. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

Because they called the ATF "jackbooted thugs," :) .

The First Freedom mag that you can choose free with your membership is neat. This month, they had two interesting features: a "required reading" book list about guns and the second amendment and another about the most successful sniper in the world, a Russian lass that had 379? confirmed Nazi kills. The reading list contained some great stuff I've put on my Amazon wish list, including a book that's pretty research exhaustive on the legal and cultural justifications/support of the rights of individuals to own firearms, etc.

3. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Every gun owner or American even remotely interested in individual rights should join because they are the biggest boy on the block. They tend to aggravate a few people, but I attribute that to the old adage "You can't please all the people all of the time". I am pretty confident that without them we, as gun owners would not have it anywhere near as good as we have it now. I send them 5$ checks throughout the year when I have extra cash. Every little bit helps. Joining the NRA, writing letters and joining grassroots efforts like GeorgiaCarry are our BEST bets!

Thanks for the post btw! I didn't know the NRA gives life insurance to LE! My girlfriend is one and I don't know why I didn't get her a membership earlier. Heck, while I'm at it, I may get memberships for my nephews!

4. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

That is the money quote! I belong to both for that reason.

I've seen a change in the NRA since Ms. Froman has been president. They used to have opposition to anything not invented at the NRA. Now, they are working with other gun groups. An example is the combination of the Second Amendment Foundation and NRA with the lawsuit against New Orleans.

Working with the niche organizations maximizes the NRA effectiveness and I'm glad that I belong to both.

BTW - First Freedom is a really good magazine for keeping abreast of second amendment issues. Its worth $25 on its own.

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Depending on how much money I spend on spring break I may talk to you in a week about getting an NRA membership.

6. USMC - Retired

foshizzle,
    When your ready to sign them all up make sure to PM me so we can get you the discounted rate.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I may wish to take you up on the membership, but I have a quick question, since I have not read any of the magazines listed above for keeping me up to date on second amendment issues in quite some time. Did they mention in those magazines the brief the NRA filed against the plaintiffs being reheard en banc in the Silveira v. Lockyer second amendment case in the Ninth Circuit, after the Ninth Circuit held that there basically was no Second Amendment existing in the Ninth Circuit?

Did they mention the efforts they undertook to get the attorney to drop the case?

Did the magazines mention that the NRA's attorney (Stephen Halbrook) tried to forcibly consolidate the Parker case (yeah, the opinion that just came out) with the NRA's Seegars case in DC, which was screwed up (dismissed for standing and dismissal upheld on appeal) and named the United States as a Defendant, which would have brought the entire resources of the United States out against the plaintiffs rather than just the resources of the DC legal department?

When that attempt by the NRA failed, did the NRA mention in its magazines that the legislation they introduced through Orrin Hatch to allow residents of DC to keep a functioning firearm in the home would actually moot the Parker case so that it would be dismissed?

Did they cover, in the interest of keeping members informed on Second Amendment issues, the Cato Institute's testimony on that bill?

I notice their press releases sure trumpet the result in the Parker case now.

I am serious about perhaps joining, but I would like to know whether the magazines really keep members informed about what the NRA is doing for the Second Amendment.

8. USMC - Retired

MP,
    I get the American Hunter magazine which is oriented more towards hunting and firearms issues relating to hunting. They do have a section that covers second amendment issues and updates but not in the depth you are describing. I'm not sure how deep the other two magazines get into it either, as I do not get them. I do however get periodic mailings discussing legislative issues from the NRA-ILA. I know from our previous discussions that you don't agree with the NRA's approach to the issues at times. And to tell the truth I have had times when I was not pleased with the direction the NRA chose on one issue or another. But as a whole I feel the NRA is the reason we still have the rights we do and though we may not always agree on how to get there, our goals are the same. Whenever I talk to a fellow firearms owner that is anti-NRA I ask why and it is usually because they feel the NRA didn't act they way they would have in a given situation. Then I ask what actions they took to try to change it. This is the point that I usually get a blank stare. My point being is change can only be effected from the inside. As a member I have the power of the vote to decide who is on the board of directors. I can contact NRA headquarters and voice my concerns as a member, not someone from outside. I guess I look at being an NRA member the same way I look at being a Republican. I may not always agree with what the GOP does or the direction it takes but it sure beats the heck out of the alternative.

9. Malum Prohibitum

OK, I'll join.

10. Malum Prohibitum

And don't take my post the wrong way - they do a lot of good stuff. It is just that those examples, above, are really, really bad stuff that, frankly, make no sense, and, I believe, harm their own membership.

11. USMC - Retired

That's why we need more folks like yourself that not only talk the talk but also walk the walk.

12. Dusty

Dusty New Member

I feel the same way. I don't like how the NRA does their politics. I did, however, recently join the NRA for one year.

13. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I definitely have a problem with some of the things NRA has done in the past. I finally decided to join since they are the 800 lb. gorilla. I remain optimistic that we'll see more cooperative efforts in the future and less of the territorial and vindictive behaviors we've seen in the past.

USMC, are the discounts for the 1 year memberships only?

14. USMC - Retired

At this time those are the only discounts I have available. Are you looking to become a life member? The NRA now offers life memberships on a payment plan! Much better than having to fork over a big wad all at once like I did!

15. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

No, I'm not ready yet. I'm still waiting on my packet of NRA cool-aid. Or does that come with the life membership? :)

I saw they have that payment plan, but you aren't really considered a life member until you're all paid up. Right?

16. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

USMC, I joined last year as a $10 member. I think it was called an associate membership. I did not receive the magazine. My membership expires at the end of April and I would like to re-up especially for $25. If you can get me in for $25, I'm in. I would enjoy of the magazines.

17. USMC - Retired

You are correct, the Life Membership payment plan makes you a life member when it is fully paid. Until that time you are considered a regular member.

I may have some spare NRA cool-aid packets laying around somewhere... I think I left them in the garage with my collection of tin foil hats... 8)

18. USMC - Retired

PM sent

19. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

I submitted my life membership in full at the beginning of the year and I haven't recieved a confirmation or a new membership card. I know they received it because the check was cashed and on my American Riflemen magazines, the mailing label changed from "regular" to "Life".

20. USMC - Retired

I submitted my life membership in full at the beginning of the year and I haven't recieved a confirmation or a new membership card. I know they received it because the check was cashed and on my American Riflemen magazines, the mailing label changed from "regular" to "Life".[/quote:dgtajzhi]

Call 877-672-2000 and let them know that you have not received your life member credentials. They will take care of it. If you have any trouble PM me, but you shouldn't need to.