Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Super Moderator
75,250 Posts
TippinTaco said:
Now lets extend the right to carry openly in public to every gang member in the Us that has never been caught . . . Dumb idea.
You have to be kidding me. Georgia is one of only 13 states that require a license to carry openly. Others include states like New Jersey, Maryland, Massachessetts, and Hawaii.

Please, TippinTaco, please, tell me what is happening in the majority of states in the United States that have no law against carrying a pistol openly without a license.

Your picture, meant to appeal to emotion (in this case hysteria, coming from a Greek word for a certain part of uniquely female anatomy), has long guns. Even fewer states regulate the carry of long arms openly. Not even Georgia does that. It is legal for children to carry long arms openly in Georgia, so please explain why I, as a full grown man, must have a license to wear a holstered pistol openly?

I know why - Jim Crow.

Kind of sounds like the argument you are making comes from 1906. http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/wp-cont ... n-laws.pdf

I sure would like to hear about the downside to "the right to carry openly in public," since this is the majority rule in this country. Georgia is the odd man out, and not for a whole lot longer if I get my way.

· Super Moderator
75,250 Posts
gunsmoker said:
I want to keep a permit requirement to carry a gun in public, other than transporting an unloaded and encased gun, or briefly "carrying" the gun a short distance from your vehicle to your home (let's say you have to park on the public street and walk 20 feet of public sidewalk before you get to your own property).
That is stricter than Georgia law is now!

gunsmoker said:
I think that having a permit lets good guys show they are good guys, and it lets cops arrest hoodlums, thugs, and other assorted irresponsible people who ignore the law (a very easy law to comply with) and carry without a permit.
While I am quite sure that the permit "lets" me show I am a good guy, what if I simply refuse to show it? What if I am one of those weirdos who takes the Fourth Amendment seriously (and the Second)? How is the police officer to distinguish me from the hoodlums, thugs, and other assorted irresponsible people whom you think he should be arresting every time he sees an armed person who does not display a permit upon demand?

Do you really want to show a license multiple times a day to any officer who wants to detain you? Really? Is that the kind of world in which you want to live?

Not me.

Tommy Something or Other said:
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

· Super Moderator
75,250 Posts
kwikrnu said:
In Tennessee our Constitution was changed in 1870 to allow for the prohibition of carry for the blacks.
The same year as Georgia's public gathering law.

The history of Georgia's licensing law is that it was passed for one reason - to disarm the *******.

It is an evil law with evil motives.

It serves as an excuse for official harassment and unjustified detainment.

It serves to chill the exercise of a fundamental right.

· Super Moderator
75,250 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Please, TippinTaco, please, tell me what is happening in the majority of states in the United States that have no law against carrying a pistol openly without a license.
Or you can just ignore it and keep posting hysterical hypotheticals.

· Super Moderator
75,250 Posts
EJR914 said:
Also, it could just be as simple as obeying the law, but some Law Enforcement guys think you're mentally off for wanting to open carry in a place that THEY don't like. You're a material risk to the public... and they can also do it without due process or fair trial.
Maybe the license is an excuse for them to stop you and "explain something" to you. :wink:

· Super Moderator
75,250 Posts
kwikrnu said:
It wasn't so long ago, 1986, that the government declared weapons which are in common use by us soldiers to be illegal to sell to the average citizen. It wasn't so long ago that machine guns, short barrelled rifles and shotguns, and anything else thought dangerous were banned/taxed/caused to be registered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.