Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if anyone saw this article yet. It was nice to see an article that gave specific defensive reasons for "high capacity" magazines instead of the 2nd amendment reasons. (Not that 2nd amendment reasons are not valid but most "normal" people ignore that argument).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 06709.html

I especially liked the closing.

Those who would ban extended magazines, will say that although hundreds of thousands are in circulation and thousands more will surely be sold before a ban is enacted, it will be worth it if it saves just one life. But the other half of that question must be asked, too: Is it worth it if it costs just one life?

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,894 Posts
That's pretty good considering it came from the often liberal Washington Post.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,102 Posts
I disagree that a Glock with a 33 round magazine in place is no longer concealable.
It is not "daily carry" concealable, but it can be carried in a shopping bag or big purse or briefcase (whatever is appropriate for the environment). It can be concealed by being wrapped in a jacket or covered with a folded newspaper, even.
It is concealable enough that a fanatical killer bent on a mass-shooting spree could take one to a public gathering and open fire on the crowd. If there is a security checkpoint where people will be searched for weapons, the killer could stay outside of the security perimeter but fire into it.

I agree that a 33 round magazine is useful for home defense if your castle is invaded by a gang of pillaging Huns. I'm just saying that a 33-round magazine is a SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT in effectiveness for good purposes like self-defense but a HUGE IMPROVEMENT (which is a bad thing) in the capacity for murder and mayhem when used by a lone gunman against a crowd of victims in public.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
EJR914 said:
That's pretty good considering it came from the often liberal Washington Post.
The article was written by Stephen Hunter. He wrote the 7 book Bob Lee Swagger Series & "The Master Sniper". Loved "Dirty White Boys" & "Point of Impact". "PoI" was made into a movie (Shooter) starring Mark Wahlberg.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_hunter

·
Custom User Title
1,663 Posts
The magazine destroys the pistol's essence; it is no longer concealable.
I have to disagree here. I can cc my G17 with a 33rnd mag. It may limit my ability to lean over, but walking around you would never know it was there.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think he meant concealable from a standard conceal-ability standpoint. I think he would agree that you "could" conceal it with a 33rnd mag but it isn't practical or really concealed well.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I always thought that the nice thing about glocks was that they accept all larger capacity mags in the same caliber. So you could conceal a g19 with a small magazine, carry a 33 round in a briefcase, cargo pocket, car center console etc, and if the SHTF you could swap out easily after the first mag is done.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
gunsmoker said:
I disagree that a Glock with a 33 round magazine in place is no longer concealable.
It is just as concealable as a sawed off shotgun, something you stated was not concealable in another thread.

Consider this, a so-called high capacity mag may be better at preventing mass killings. Many lower priced mags of that type are very unreliable. The lower priced ones are the ones more likely to be purchased by those that would do bad things. So instead of a killer having a few stock reliable mags, he has one that often jams, etc.

Wasn't the Arizona shooter wrestled to the ground when a feeding malfunction occurred? Do you really believe that someone with reliable stock mags would give bystanders ample time between mag changes? And last but not least, what color smoke comes out your mouth when you blow it? :screwy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts