Who's Up for Police Qual Test?

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by gunsmoker, Jul 23, 2018.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I'm putting this thread in the competition section rather than "training" because what I'd like to see is some shooting range to host a shooting match that duplicates the Georgia P.O.S.T. law-enforcement qualification shoot.

How many of you folks at Georgiapacking would be interested in doing this, if I found a range in the ATlanta area that is willing to host it?

************ EDITED: Okay, we've got a plan. We need a head count of interested persons now,and before the range will set aside a block of time for us to do the match, we must have commitments from several people. *************

It would have to be a special event where the range is off-limits to others while we do this. The Georgia L.E. shooting test involves having two targets spaced a yard apart, and it involves shooting from behind a barricade at times, and it also involves movement around the firing line, including dropping to a kneeling position.

The qualification test also requires drawing rapidly from a holster, which some ranges do not normally allow.

There are two types of Georgia law enforcement qualification shoots: one intended for full-size duty pistols, and another intended for smaller lower capacity back up guns or off duty guns. Those of us who would like to take this test with our compact concealed carry pistols or small frame revolvers could do the back up qual which features shorter ranges and lower round counts without having a magazine swap on the clock. No speedloaders, either, for wheelgun shooters.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  2. HCountyGuy

HCountyGuy Well-Known Member

Legacy38 just had a “test day” at a local range with various qualification courses. I believe they ran the FBI qual, GA POST and a Rangemaster qual.

magnum1b likes this.

3. rabbivj

rabbivj My Name is Inigo Montoya

We ran actually 4 COF...FBI Qual, GA POST Qual, Rangemaster Qual, and Federal Air Marshal Qual.

magnum1b likes this.
  4. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

The Rangemaster course that we ran is the Short Skills Course. I run it at the end of my Defensive Pistol Skills class as it tests all of the shooting skills used in the class. There are other Rangemaster courses such as the Instructor Qualification Course and a Bullseye course similar to the FBI's Bullseye Course.

I'm certified by the FBI and GA POST as an instructor. I provide documentation to students who pass both the FBI and GA POST shooting courses.

If there is enough interest, I can run another Test Day and include the GA POST BUG course.

5. rjinga

rjinga Member

I'm interested.

6. rabbivj

rabbivj My Name is Inigo Montoya

7. ForsythGlock

ForsythGlock Member

I would be interested in shooting the GA POST BUG course. Does a Glock 26 qualify?

8. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

9. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

magnum1b likes this.
  10. gunsmoker

I wasn't thinking of anything that has a $100 price tag for the event, even though what First Person Safety offers gives a lot more ; it is a training clinic, exposes you to multiple law enforcement qualification shoots, and and documents your performance with their certificate of completion (if you want to be all official-like ).

I was hoping for something with a lot lower cost, more casual scoring system, and the only official record of it would be that the scores get posted on the range's website. (If you're interested. If you object to that info being posted , due to privacy concerns, you could always shoot under an assumed name! Harry Callahan? John McClain? John Wick? Barry Obama?)

11. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

I might be interested, if it is on the NW side of Sheattlanta, OTP, and costs $10 or less.

12. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

In order to get a closed range it will not be $10 or less. Going to an open range will cost more than that to begin with. You are also asking the range to pay someone overtime for opening the range during off hours, paying the extra utility bills, running the evac system and waiving some of the range rules. If you can get under $80 per shooter it will be a bargain.

13. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

Then I guess I'm not interested in participating. Have at it, those who are.

14. legacy38

rabbivj likes this.
  15. legacy38

Exactly. Just getting a single lane at the local indoor range is $12.

I've rented out indoor ranges for classes, and the price range runs anywhere from $150 to $300 just for the range rental alone, and that is a flat fee. Some also want a specific insurance ride too.

16. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

If you are not busy Saturday, Izaak Walton League range in Amherst County Va is having a shoot with 3 stages, one will be IDPA type, one USPSA type and one a Steel Challenge type.

If you are an IWL member cost will be $10 and $15 if not. But is about 450 miles, figuring starting point of Atlanta so plan now. Pistol caliber carbines are usable also.

Nemo

17. gunsmoker

Okay, let's get a head count.

I may be able to get us set up at an indoor range within 15 miles of downtown Atlanta.

The day and time would need to be early Sunday morning, prior to their regular public hours.

Cost would be $65 per shooter.

You could choose the standard LEO duty pistol qualification OR thr back-up gun qual.

No "official" reporting of scores or certificate. But if you want proof that you passed and I am there and I watch you shoot the course and I know you passed, I'd be happy to make a note of that and sign your target as a witness to your accomplishment.

Bring your own gun--no rentals will be available.

18. legacy38

I'm not trying to pimp my classes on this forum. I will clarify that what I offer is not a simple certificate. It's a letter specifying that you passed the courses as administered by an instructor certified to administer the course(s) of fire from both GA POST and the FBI. I've also been recognized in court as an expert witness in regard to firearms training and tactics. I make a fair to middlin' witness should one be needed to testify as to the administration of the courses and my observations.

That's worth something to some people; it's not worth anything to others. To each his own.

tmoore912 and DonT like this.
  19. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Legacy: This isn't a class. Your class is worth it's weight without question. This is a fun shoot doing something you can't do on a range full of other shooters. No course of study or test other than their own actual skills as they are at present. Bragging rights also can be worth something to some people as well.

moe mensale likes this.
  20. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Just FYI, Lee is a very qualified handgun instructor, as are others he uses to help him during the event. They can assist even an experienced shooter in improving certain fundamentals. I highly recommend his class to others.

I understand this thread is not about a class but just a "fun" shoot. I just wanted to chime in and speak from experience, having taken one of his classes. It was better than any range day I had whilst a police officer.

rabbivj, DonT and Wegahe like this.