Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got some reloading equipment, Lee Loader in .38, and hope to get some ammo cranked out. Just not quite sure where to get the necessary supplies. Yes, there's online, but I'll probably hold off on bulk purchases until I get a few loads that I like a lot. Would like to get small amounts at first, experiment with a few loads, find what my guns like, and then buy enough to last me a while.

I've got a few shops nearby, but never really looking at their reloading stuff. Nicks and Pannell's on Canton Road are probably the closest. Deercreek is within reasonable driving distance. Cherokee Pawn and Gun is a little further, but is usually worth the drive when I've had other stuff to purchase. Then there's Dicks, but I don't recall ever seeing reloading stuff there. Does Wal-Mart carry anything?

Can't wait to get started. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Hi Caliber and Big Woods Goods are my local places. Dicks does not sell reloading supplies.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
For the best prices, I shop online, except for powder and primers which are subject to the hazmat fee. If you can get a bunch of reloaders in your area together to order powder and primers in bulk and share the hazmat fees amongst the group, this can work out really, really well. But most of the time it is like trying to herd cats getting everyone to pony up the cash up front, agree on where to meet to pick up the goods, and when. So I just go and simply purchase powder and primers locally at gun shows and the like.

I've never seen reloading supplies at Walmart, just muzzleloading powders and bullets.

Forsyth County Pawn and 400 Loan & Jewelry both have reloading supplies. I noticed that Bass Pro Shop also now carries an aisle full of reloading supplies, much more than I have seen out in the open previously.

But hey, there is a giant RK Gun Show this weekend at the Atlanta Expo Center, and there are usually at least two or three vendors there selling LOTS of reloading supplies. That is where I usually go when I need to stock up on powder and primers. I am hoping to get there this weekend if I can. Plus, there will certainly be other private vendors amongst the 2000 tables that will also have smaller quantities of reloading supplies. Might be worth your time to check it out!

Best of luck to you, and welcome to reloading!

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
SongDogSniper said:
But hey, there is a BIG RK Gun Show this weekend at the Atlanta Expo Center, and there are usually at least two or three vendors there selling LOTS of reloading supplies.
:exactly:

Bring a cart or hand truck and visit the GCO table.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I'm so new to this it's ridiculous (as in I've only loaded about 600 rounds), but I'd have to agree with SongDogSniper.

I'll also note that I've found some good deals on the local forums that you have to snap up fast. Got about 7k primers that way at about 50% of retail. Some pretty good deals on bullets that way too.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
a_springfield said:
Hi Caliber and Big Woods Goods are my local places. Dicks does not sell reloading supplies.
Yup, though I wish BWG had more available.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Greetings,

I buy all my reloading supplies from powdervalleyinc.com and wideners.com. Sometimes I buy from grafs.com.

When I buy, I buy large quantities 9In fact, I always try to get as close as 45 pounds as I can) so the shipping costs are absorbed to the maximum.

BTW, I put 3.3 grains of bulleye in my 38 spl under hard cast bullet. The cost of my round is exactly 7.38 cents.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
kestak said:
Greetings,

I buy all my reloading supplies from powdervalleyinc.com and wideners.com. Sometimes I buy from grafs.com.

When I buy, I buy large quantities 9In fact, I always try to get as close as 45 pounds as I can) so the shipping costs are absorbed to the maximum.

BTW, I put 3.3 grains of bulleye in my 38 spl under hard cast bullet. The cost of my round is exactly 7.38 cents.

Thank you
That is only enough powder to load 95,454 of those .38 spl :sly:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Greetings,

LOL! Last time I bought from powdervalleyinc 1x 8# of Bulleyes, 1x 8# of Unique, 2x 8# of 4095 and a few tens of thousands of primers. It is about 1# per thousand.
About 2 months ago, I bought 6x 8# of WC844 (same thing than H335) from hi-tech ammo. If you buy between 4 and 6, they pay the hazmat fee.

BTW, Bulleye is NOT fro beginners. You can 4x load the 3.5 grains in a 38spl. Even a 2x load will probably a kaboom in a 38spl revolver (maybe not in a 357mag revolver, but I would not pull the devil by the tail). The best powder for beginners is Unique. You can rarely double charge with it.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Sorry, I don't completely buy into that. Unique is not the answer to poor technique. Reloading ammo is not for everyone. The price of inattentiveness and a lack of concentration can be rather high.

If someone is not capable of understanding and focusing on what they are doing, or otherwise not sufficiently attentive to detail to the point that they are double, triple and quadruple charging cases :bigshock: , they should be purchasing commercially loaded ammunition and not manufacturing their own ammunition.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Greetings,

I agree with you to a certain level and I won't get into a shooting match. :mrgreen:

The point of using Unique is because it is a high volume powder. If you look into each case (like I do) you will notice easily if you double charged or if there is a problem with the powder quantity. With Bulleye, it is a lot more difficult to notice a difference in charge because the volume is lesser. With 9mm, for example, 5.5 grains of Unique cannot be double charged because the case will overflow. With Bulleye, a normal charge (I think it is 4.0 grains, but don't count on it) it will not overflow.

For beginners, because there are so many little details, using a powder that can avoid double charge is a supplemental safety.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I agree with buying in bulk. My dad ordered 16 lbs of varget and 3000 cci br-2 primers from powder valley. We are going to split it down the middle.
Total cost with shipping is 424.24
212.12 each.

I can't name one place locally where t I can buy 8 lbs of varget and 1500 cci br-2 primers for 212.24.

jhvaughan2 said:
I find that the cast bullets from GA arms to be a good bargain.
http://georgia-arms.com/selectbycaliber-2.aspx (Lower right corner)
Missouri beats them.
.452 200 grn SWC...36.00/500 Missouri
.452 200 grn SWC...25.00/300 Ga Arms

Disregard PM as I thought both were for 500.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hi Fellows,

kestak & I have split a few large reloading orders in the past!
It brings the price way down, if you can afford to layout the cash.

kestak, streetriots & I know a guy that finely stopped reloading after he destroyed four maybe five firearms. :(
Four high quality pistols & one Sako 7mm Mag rifle. :shattered:

We never did figure out what he did wrong, but sadly he was very consistent! We talked to him & he seemed to be doing things correctly. He even bought a second scale to check the first one & a set of checkweights!
It got so bad, that when he came to the range, all the regular shooters would stop shooting & have a coke so they could watch him in action!
How in heck do you reload a 45 acp so hot ,that the primers fall out of almost every case.

I wish him well with his new hobby.

Best, broom

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Greetings,

On the other side, Broomhandle reloads his rounds so mild that sometimes we have to pick up the bullet 2 feet in front of him when he shoots! :drink:

Just kidding!!!!

Thank you

·
Clueless
3,707 Posts
drtybykr said:
You obviously do not know how much him and his lady shoot. Thats weekly their weekly .38spl. Okay I exaggerate a little, its monthly. :sly:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
streetriots said:
drtybykr said:
You obviously do not know how much him and his lady shoot. Thats weekly their weekly .38spl. Okay I exaggerate a little, its monthly. :sly:
yesterday after work, she ran through 400 rounds of 223 at the range... :shock:

My day Today:
1 - Clean the AR
2 - Reload reload reload reload reload reload reload reload reload
3 - She comes back home and complain I did not vacuum the carpet!!!!!!! :help:

·
Clueless
3,707 Posts
kestak said:
streetriots said:
drtybykr said:
yesterday after work, she ran through 400 rounds of 223 at the range... :shock:

My day Today:
1 - Clean the AR
2 - Reload reload reload reload reload reload reload reload reload
3 - She comes back home and complain I did not vacuum the carpet!!!!!!! :help:
Well vaccuum the carpet. You also better have dinner cooked! :shattered:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hi Fellows,

God bless you guys that have multi-talented women in your life!

Kestak & Streetriots ladys are lovely as well, as being good shooters.

I on the other hand have the EVIL witch of the North to shoot with! :cantsay: :shattered: :help: Honey,
I was making a joke ! After 47 years you know I love you! :love:

As for your (light load) comment Kesak, just so long as they all go in the same hole, I'm OK with it! :D :wink:

Best to all,
broom

1 - 20 of 20 Posts