Who's got a Benelli or shot one.....

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by luke0927, May 3, 2007.

1. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Well before dove season and upland bird season opens latter this year i want to get a new shotgun....ive been considering the Benelli super black eagle....but the $1300 price is the only thing holding me back...

Just wonder who has shot some of the Benelli line of shotguns and then some of the Remington or mossburg simi autos that can handle 3" to 3 1/2" and give a comparison

currently i have a Remington 1100 thats only for 2 3/4" and i mossburg pump for turkey hunting but im looking for a semi auto to handle the bigger shells

Thanks

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Well, I have an Hk Entry gun with a 14 inch barrel. Some other people here have shot it.

Because Hk makes no shotgun, it is, in reality, contracted out to Benelli, and, as far as I can tell, it is a black-assault-looking-cut-down version of a Benelli M1 Super 90.

I think Fabrique Nationale makes Hk shotguns le-.

I like it fine, but I am not sure this helps with what you are asking. Birdshot will not always cycle it. Buckshot and slugs work great. :D

3. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Mine is a pump (DU Edition Nova) so I can't help out on the autoloaders either...

4. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Yep I love a good pump shotgun too...but im looking for a fast cycling auto that i can shoot bird shot or all the ways up to 3 1/2" turkey load.

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I've never fire one. A former customer of mine swore on day, that his will fire 4 shots before the 1st empty shell hits the ground. I told him that he was full of :bsflag:. When he proved it, it cost me lunch and a beer.

6. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Damn now thats funny!! i know when we are bird hunting you can hear people sounding off with them and they are fast....

7. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

my dad-in-law hunts with a Benelli / HK autoloader 12 ga. I wondered at first WTF is this? because its marked Benelli but also Heckler & Koch. Its a lefty. So it kinda dumps the shells right out past my face, but hey its his gun and he's a lefty.

I forget which model it is, I know its probably at least 10 years old? Anyways, its a friggin BEAUTY. Hardly any recoil. Can shoot clays with it all day long. Great accuracy and handling. Its shot a LOT of animals over the years, and a zillion clays. And its easy to take apart to clean.

on shooting an autoloader rapidly, yes my hunting buddy can in fact empty the weapon before the first shell hits the deck. His is a Stoeger Model 2000, so its just a bargain-basement Benelli. He did have a fail to cycle once after he shot at a deer with a slug and missed, his second shot just went click as it did not cycle the weapon. But he sent it back and its fixed, that was also only about 200-300 rounds in so it was barely broken in.

Another buddy of mine won a Franchi I-12 at a DU banquet (i never win anything but he also won a Charles Daly youth 20ga pump), that thing shoots very nicely. First time out shooting it, we could empty the 4+1 before the first shell hits the ground. very fast cycling.

Any Stoeger, Franchi, or Benelli autoloader will serve you right.

Basically, the Inertia Driven system RAWKS. :shock:

I am a huge Mossberg fan, but for autloaders I look elsewhere. I've heard a bunch of problems with the Mossberg 935 auto, so I'd go with a Browning, Benelli, or Beretta (seen that Xtrema2 video yet?).

Luke which Mossberg do you have? I'm assuming a 500 if you say it wont shoot the 3.5's --- I have an 835 which handles the 3.5" cartridges. I also have a slug bbl for that sucker with a scope, drops deer dead where they stand.

If the $1300 price for the Benelli is what is the problem, price out the Franchi and Stoeger counterparts. They are pretty damn similar, made by Benelli.

OBTW Benelli/Stoeger/Franchi service rocks. I had to send back a single shot and it was great to deal with them.

8. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

No my mossburg will shoot 3.5" its just a pump.....

9. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Luke, I hope you don't mind but I want to slightly borrow your thread.
    Pump vs auto? What's your preference and why? This is one of the next purchases on my list (a good home d shotgun). I originally started out thinking that a pump was the way to go. That sound is just too distinctive and intimidating. But staying on target is harder, firepower is less, and if you don't keep a round chambered then the BG gets a tip off as to where you are. I'm not sure if the "noise" is worth what you give up.

10. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

For home D, I like a pump reason I still have kids at home and do not like to leave a round chambered. Plus the sound is a natural stop or else for anyone.

11. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Ooo, kids aspect. Good consideration that I should think about.... (hope to have one before tooo much longer)

12. USMC - Retired

I like pumps because you know it's going to cycle every time. Some autoloaders will fail to cycle properly if not firmly mounted in your shoulder when firing, something that you can't always be sure of in a hunting or defense scenario.... Besides, the slightly extra time it takes you to cycle the action on a pump makes you refocus on your target.

13. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Had a Mossberg 500 and the short barrel and pistol grip are great for in home action, never seen a auto scatter gun that you can have them.

Just my :2cents: , to each thier own.

14. Blackadder

Blackadder Guest

The SBEII is an incredible gun. I have shot one at a clays tournament and was really impressed. If you want to avoid the $1,300 price tag and can get by shooting 3" shells, you might want to consider a Franchi (also made by Benelli). I've shot a Franchi I-12 and couldn't tell that it wasn't a Benelli.

I have a Beretta Xtrema II and could not be happier. The price is similar to the SBEII, but it points better for me and seems to have less felt recoil. Also, don't rule out the Browning Gold. I'm pretty sure they make a version of that with a 3.5" chamber.

15. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

For bird hunting i just prefer an auto loader...I do find that i waste more shells :D but nothing like having a double fly and up and all you have to worry about is aim and shoot...no pumping need....

For home defense i would have a pump.

16. USMC - Retired

That's why my gun of choice for bird hunting is a SxS. Plus I find that since I grew up shooting SxS's that I instinctivly use the barrels to help judge lead....