Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dove season opens next weekend I'll get to try my new Benelli out....I went to the skeet range once and have shot it around my house...I think it will be a blast. The farmer said there were more birds flying this year than last and we shot almost non stop last year!!!

Then we move on to Archery Season for deer the next Saturday.

Hopefully it will be a good time as long as the heat doesn't kill me....

who else is getting ready?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
I wouldn't mind trying out some form of hunting. I'm working on the hunter certification thing now. By the way, what's the mag cap in GA for hunting?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3 for upland and water fowl....and as far as big game im not sure ive always just had my 5 rd clip for my 30_06 or my .280 for some reason 10 rings a bell in my head but im not sure if there is one.....I will check the regs later and update if someone doesnt chime in first.

Not sure if you are any where around me but im always intrested in taking someone hunting that wants to get involved.

Can even do a bird hunt one day.....we can go upto the plantation and we can do a quail, chuckar, or Pheasnet hunt. Ive got my bird dogs.

I also deer hunt, we have hogs too (but haven't seen any in a while)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,313 Posts
I'm always up for wing shooting. Missed the rut last year for deer hunting. If anyone's got a boat, my wife's folks have a place on Lake Seminole; we can talk about forming a hunting party.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AeroShooter said:
I'm always up for wing shooting. Missed the rut last year for deer hunting. If anyone's got a boat, my wife's folks have a place on Lake Seminole; we can talk about forming a hunting party.
How big a boat i have access to a small 70 HP little cruiser......you could still shoot out of it though.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
I'm a pretty good ways from you, luke. I don't really have a hunting rifle, per se. I guess it would look funny with an AK or AR out there, but you can get 5 and 10 round magazines for them (AK for sure, not 100% on the AR).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ptsmith24 said:
I'm a pretty good ways from you, luke. I don't really have a hunting rifle, per se. I guess it would look funny with an AK or AR out there, but you can get 5 and 10 round magazines for them (AK for sure, not 100% on the AR).
Ive got all you need.....riffles, shotguns, bow what ever you feel like shooting!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,313 Posts
luke0927 said:
AeroShooter said:
I'm always up for wing shooting. Missed the rut last year for deer hunting. If anyone's got a boat, my wife's folks have a place on Lake Seminole; we can talk about forming a hunting party.
How big a boat i have access to a small 70 HP little cruiser......you could still shoot out of it though.....
I should've been more detailed. Whatever boat we have for this venture, one of the requirements is to camouflage it... so the larger the boat, the more camo required... I'm assuming this is a pontoon boat? Could be ideal... like a floating duck blind... some ripped canvas with vegetation zip-tied could possibly do the trick... if there's a top on it, we could remove it... hmmm... options, I like them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No its not ponton...I'm not a big boater is more or less just a crusier that has two seats in the back where you sit and steer then on the bow you have a the beench seat where you can stand it can hold 4-5 people....Like we do up in Lake Lanier you just see the ducks and geese in the cove and blaze in kill the motor and shoot when the start flying!!! You can't shoot with the motor running.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,215 Posts
luke0927 said:
No its not ponton...I'm not a big boater is more or less just a crusier that has two seats in the back where you sit and steer then on the bow you have a the beench seat where you can stand it can hold 4-5 people....Like we do up in Lake Lanier you just see the ducks and geese in the cove and blaze in kill the motor and shoot when the start flying!!! You can't shoot with the motor running.
I also believe you can't shoot while still in motion that resulted from being under power....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
USMC - Retired said:
luke0927 said:
No its not ponton...I'm not a big boater is more or less just a crusier that has two seats in the back where you sit and steer then on the bow you have a the beench seat where you can stand it can hold 4-5 people....Like we do up in Lake Lanier you just see the ducks and geese in the cove and blaze in kill the motor and shoot when the start flying!!! You can't shoot with the motor running.
I also believe you can't shoot while still in motion that resulted from being under power....
Hmm i will have to check on this one :-$
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,313 Posts
luke0927 said:
USMC - Retired said:
luke0927 said:
No its not ponton...I'm not a big boater is more or less just a crusier that has two seats in the back where you sit and steer then on the bow you have a the beench seat where you can stand it can hold 4-5 people....Like we do up in Lake Lanier you just see the ducks and geese in the cove and blaze in kill the motor and shoot when the start flying!!! You can't shoot with the motor running.
I also believe you can't shoot while still in motion that resulted from being under power....
Hmm i will have to check on this one :-$
I concur with Gunny on this. The guide I was with last year was operating under this guideline.

I'll check the literature and get back on this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,984 Posts
I thought that there was no mag. capacity limit for hunting in GA except for shotguns?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,215 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
I thought that there was no mag. capacity limit for hunting in GA except for shotguns?
This is true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Here you go.

ptsmith24 said:
I wouldn't mind trying out some form of hunting. I'm working on the hunter certification thing now. By the way, what's the mag cap in GA for hunting?
ARCHERY: Longbows, recurve bows, and
compound bows are allowed for hunting
any game or feral hog. Crossbows (scopes
legal) are allowed for hunting feral hog and any
game except waterfowl. Arrows for hunting
deer, bear or feral hog must be broadhead
type.
CONVICTED FELONS may not possess any
firearm while hunting unless that individual’s right
to carry has been restored (OCGA 16-11-131).
This does not apply to archery equipment.
DEER & BEAR FIREARMS: Modern Rifles
and Handguns: Centerfire Only, .22-cal. or larger
with expanding bullets.
Shotguns: 20-gauge or larger loaded with slugs
or buckshot. Buckshot is not allowed on WMAs,
unless otherwise specified.
Muzzleloaders: .44-cal. or larger, or
muzzleloading shotguns 20 gauge or larger.
Scopes are legal.
Primitive Weapons: Legal weapons during
primitive weapons season include crossbows
(scopes legal), bow and arrow, and muzzleloading
firearm.
TURKEY FIREARMS: Shotguns with No. 2 or
smaller shot and any muzzleloading firearm.
FERAL HOG FIREARMS: Any deer, bear,
turkey or small game firearm.
SMALL GAME & FURBEARER FIREARMS:
Rifles and Handguns: Any .22-cal. or smaller
rimfire, air rifle, or any muzzleloading firearm.
Shotguns: Any having shot shell size 3.5
inches or smaller in length with No. 2 or
smaller shot.
Shotguns (Waterfowl): Any 10-gauge
or smaller loaded with federally approved
nontoxic shot of size “F†or smaller. Lead
shot may not be in possession while hunting
waterfowl.
SPECIAL FIREARM RESTRICTIONS:
Plugged Shotguns: Shotguns must be
plugged to a maximum capacity of 3 shells
(magazine and chamber combined) except for
deer, bear & feral hog hunting. For deer, bear
& feral hog hunting, shotguns are limited to 5
shells. Plugs must be one piece and incapable
of being removed through the loading end of
the magazine.
Silencers: Silencers may not be used for hunting.
ALLIGATOR EQUIPMENT: Hand-held ropes
or snares, snatch hooks, harpoons, gigs, or
arrows with restraining line attached. Lawfully
restrained alligators may be killed with any
caliber handgun or bangstick.
NONGAME FIREARMS: For unprotected
species onlyâ€"any firearm.

Hope this will answer any questions on weapons for the 2007 season.
Bye the way it looks like you have to be born before 1961 in order not to take the hunters safety course. I would recommend it any way.
:rifle:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
I'm finally finished with the online part. Now I have to bring my printed results for a review and test session in Portal a week from Friday. The session is 2 hours long. The full course (classroom only, instead of the online part, looks like it would be 10 hours on a Saturday..no thanks).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,984 Posts
Silencers: Silencers may not be used for hunting.
:x
Is this a law or regulation?
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top