Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin ... ostcount=1

incredipete said:
OK, I never expected to actually ever have to draw my weapon. Certainly, I'm prepared... I train regularly, I participate here, I have many friends involved with CCW... still, you never think you'll be in a situation where you'll have to make a decision.

I was anointed to sit in on what was expected to be a tense termination of an employee. They wanted a witness, and wanted extra muscle in the room should it get physical.

It was the most intense reaction I've ever seen, and I've personally done more than 40 terminations. He was belligerent and threatening, and three of us had to forcibly remove him from the building.

He drove off, and we thought that was the end of it. However, about 30 minutes later, I saw his vehicle coming back around the corner to the front of the building. Of course, my first thought was "He went home and armed himself."

Without even thinking about it, I jumped up and ran to the front door and shouted to another manager who is CCW and a veteran of Vietnam and Dessert Storm. We took up flank positions and were waiting for him as he exited his car, 12 gauge pump action in hand. I yelled at him that if he even started to point his shotgun in our direction, we would fire and we ordered him to leave the property. After yelling a few obscenities, he jumped in his car and drove away.

I think he was completely surprised that we were ready for him... he thought he'd be able to march right into the business and do whatever it was he planned to do.

I'm glad it ended without anyone having to fire a shot, but now I know for sure... with adrenalin pulsing... I went into autopilot and the training I've taken took over. My hands were surprisingly steady, and I'm confident I could have shot accurately if it had come to that. Now my adrenalin is wearing off, and I'm physically drained!

Now the situation is in the capable hands of law enforcement, who incidentally were very supportive of CCW and thought we had probably prevented a major catastrophe. One LEO asked if I'd had to fire, would I have aimed for his arm or leg... I said "If by arm or leg you mean head, then yes." He laughed and replied "Good man!"

Oh yeah... I almost didn't carry today... I was not really dressed to conceal, and all I could manage was my little P3AT. Just goes to show that it's never a "safe" day to leave your gun at home.

·
68,929 Posts
Wow. He and the other manager should be terminated immediately for having pistols at work.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
wow....It's a shame that will never make the news.

·
hu huh, you said "Member"
585 Posts
I dont worry about needing a gun while actually at work, but I sure as shit want one when I go to lunch in fuggin SMYRNA and/or lower Marietta (*cough* I mean Mexico). :shock: Too bad I can't even have one in my vehicle so I can protect myself when I'm off-base. But hey I have a pocket-knife and a bad attitude! :roll:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Luckily we have an unarmed security guard part of the day at our building. That makes up for our company policy against ccw. :rotfl:

·
68,929 Posts
Rammstein said:
wow....It's a shame that will never make the news.
Interviews with him ought to run on prime time every night for three months.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tdporter said:
Luckily we have an unarmed security guard part of the day at our building. That makes up for our company policy against ccw. :rotfl:
Our company policies don't mention weapons. 8)

·
Registered
116 Posts
"I was anointed to sit in on what was expected to be a tense termination of an employee. They wanted a witness, and wanted extra muscle in the room should it get physical."

Ive run into this situation where I work. Fortunately we have an AP office we call if we suspect trouble and they arrange for LEO to be on sight at the time and as long as needed for days to come.

If any threats are made they are arrested then and there.

BTW, Im not saying these guys did anything wrong , but I wonder if they had any other proactive options for security prior to the actual termination knowing it could be a tough one.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I guess I've just been blessed. I've never worked any where I wasn't encouraged to carry. Well, since I turned 21 anyway.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
I have searched our HR rules and regs many times as well as that of our parent company and never found any mention of the words "weapon" or "firearm" listed anywhere.

I'm still a little skeptical though. I've been going back and forth in regards to inquiring as to whether or not they are listed anywhere. I'd like to know for sure, because if they are not barred from the jobsite, then I don't see what recourse they would have against me should I choose to CC at the office. On the other hand, I don't want to ask and then be labeled as "that guy."

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
wsweeks2 said:
I have searched our HR rules and regs many times as well as that of our parent company and never found any mention of the words "weapon" or "firearm" listed anywhere.

I'm still a little skeptical though. I've been going back and forth in regards to inquiring as to whether or not they are listed anywhere. I'd like to know for sure, because if they are not barred from the jobsite, then I don't see what recourse they would have against me should I choose to CC at the office. On the other hand, I don't want to ask and then be labeled as "that guy."
Don't ask.

If it is not in the handbook then it is not prohibited.

·
Registered
964 Posts
wsweeks2 said:

Remember, Ga is an "employment at will" state
EMPLOYMENT AT WILL

Georgia recognizes the doctrine of employment at will. Employment at will means that in the absence of a written contract of employment for a defined duration, an employer can terminate an employee for good cause, bad cause or no cause at all, so long as it is not an illegal cause.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
So if they don't prohibit it and then used that reason as cause to fire me, wouldn't I have a case - or would the discrimination against gun owners case be better. :?:

·
68,929 Posts
Do they list pooping in your pants and failing to clean it up before dealing with customers?

If they do not prohibit it, and they use that as an excuse to fire you, do you think you might have a cause of action?

:lol:

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Only if I can throw my poop at customers at 1400 fps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts