Who here reloads?

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by viper32cm, Sep 7, 2007.

1. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

Title says it all.

I'm starting this coming week. I've had a press for 2 months, and I finally got around to buying bullets and some extra dies that I needed to make .38 and 9MM.

2. gunsbillygun

gunsbillygun Member

i started about 6 mo. ago, i like the handgun reloads, and im just now fixen to get started on rifle.

3. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

I shot my first 50 9mm last weekend.
    Dillon SDB, 9mm & .40. In another few months I'm going to pick up another press for .223, or I might sell the SDB and upgrade to a 550.

4. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

I'm on a Lee Turret Press.

5. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

That's probably what I'll have for .223
    I decided noto to try for 1k rounds per month on a turret or single stage :lol:

6. Claire

Claire New Member

I used to reload shotgun shells

I plan to set my loader up again

fun/good mental therapy ;)

7. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

I do. Dillon 550. I currently reload for 9mm, 45acp, and .45 colt.

Do you have a good reloading manual? If not, get one or two or three.

What i've found:

9mm, eh, not much savings on cash.

.45s, make s a huge difference in what it costs to shoot.

Take your time, start slow. Be careful and only reload when you are in the mood. For me, double charging a .45 colt load could be bad. That's why i only reload when i am in the mood and have my mind on what i am doing.

Here soon, I'll be reloading .223, 30-30, and .450 marlin. 223 because the brass is piling up and a good bit of ammo for that thing is always a good thing. .30-30 because i was given a lot of brass and for my birthday next week, i'm gonna pick up an old Winchester. 450 marlin because 35.00+ a box for 20 rounds, well, you get the idea.

Be safe, and read that manual and be clear about what you are doing. Take your time and have fun picking up brass like you just found gold on the ground. From now on..... if it ain't brass its arse.

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I may get into reloading before too long. I need .40, .223, .22, 7.62x39, and 7.62x54R. I won't bother reloading the 7.62x54R because I don't shoot much of it; the 7.62x39 because I'd have to get brass (all the stuff I have now is steel cased; the .22...well..that's obvious. I plan on saving up .40 and .223 brass now. I guess it's never too soon for that. I thought about starting out with one of those Lee Anniversary Kits just to begin. Worth it? I don't plan on a whole lot of volume quite just yet.

9. gunsbillygun

gunsbillygun Member

pay attention to the powders you use, look carefuly at what powder the book say. 4227 or h4227, little things when your in a hurry or not paying attention can get you or your gun hurt.

10. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

I started out thinking a Lee Anniversary Kit would be the right thing to get but I was quickly convinced to get a Turret Press, at the very least. It does save labor because you don't have to constantly change out dies when you go from resizing/decapping to expansion to seating to crimping.

This site has some good info

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Thanks for the link.

12. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

I've toyed with the idea or reloading, mostly for cost. I hear it's hard to save much (if any) over WWB in 9mm. What about .40S&W or 12ga? Are there any calibers that really make sense from a cost standpoint, or is it always just a hobby?

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

It takes a little while to justify the cost (I think), but some people do it for customizing loads to what they need. I see it as a hobby and possibly saving some money.

14. gunsbillygun

gunsbillygun Member

after the anitial cost of set up, powders ,dies, primers, press, casings , bullets, books, calapers, tumblers, case holders, ect. you can save some money, i got all my tools, press, dies , ect. in trades, off the internet. you can save money in the long run, not much at first, but it does add up. you can go to out door ranges and pick up all kind of brass, it is very fun to reload, its very exciting to shoot your oun reloads, then if you hunt , its great knowing that what you did actualy works in the real world, not just on paper targets.

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I'll be there eventually. One more thing to add to the hobby.

16. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

I'm loading 9mm for just over $10/100 using decent quality FMJs. if you've got a gun that will take lead, it'll get even cheaper.

17. gunsbillygun

gunsbillygun Member

revolvers use lead very easly, i use a 320 gr wlngc , w/ 21n gr of h110, for hunting black bear out of my 629-1, 44 mag. got some kick to it .
    also never ever ever, use more powder than the book says, you and your gun will both regret it.

18. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

I'm definitely going to get into reloading.

Buying .308 is EXPENSIVE.

19. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I picked up a small load of .223 brass at Richmond Hill yesterday.

20. merlock

merlock Active Member

Something I'm going to consider in the longer term. 8)