Who Does that Facebook Thing?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Nemo, Jul 21, 2018.

1. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Don't do it personally. Company has one and my kids teams sort of have to have one so I have some experience with them but I don't have one personally and never will.

2. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Not just No but Hell No.

If some entity requires that I use facecrap to use their services I find another entity.

MaricopaKid and Scout706 like this.
  3. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

I have one I never post on. Use it to monitor the political extremism of my friends and relatives.
    They do get suspicious of me for not posting similar and 'like'ing their crap.

gunsmoker likes this.
  4. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

It's only surveillance when the government does it, not when Facebook (or Google or Twitter or ?) does it. And, besides, it's FREE! :woohoo::rotfl2:

The only thing that could possibly be even better is having "Alexa" and "the internet of things" in your house. Quietly protecting you from the evil bad guys while ordering a loaf of bread. :shakehead:

No, I don't use that crap, never will and try to avoid it whenever possible. Although I just read the other day that some tire manufacturers are embedding RFID chips in their tires. :tinfoil:

5. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

6. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

For me, it's unavoidable. My employer advertises on FB. GeorgiaCarry.org, of which I'm a member and a volunteer, communicates to its members and prospective members on FB. Instructors and gun outfits I work with, communicate and advertise on FB. Everybody in the gun world is on FB. It is what it is. If something better were to come along, we'd all jump to that platform, I suppose.

7. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

FB still allows people to say the word gun on there? Wow!

Nemo

8. DonT

Yep, pretty much. FB just mostly frowns on the phrase: "this gun for sale"

9. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

Cherokee Gun in Canton uses facebook exclusively to advertise.

10. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

They and many other businesses do not want to pay for a domain name and website hosting so they opt for a free Facebook account to save money. I think it's risky. Facebook will eventually go the way of MySpace. That process if already underway.

Almost no one under 40 uses Facebook. It specifically caters to Gen-Xers and Boomers who can't figure out how to create and host a real webpage.

11. DonT

The business I work for does multiple platforms, website plus various social media. And I find that is the case with many firearms instructors and gun companies.

12. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Some of us Boomers can and some have the basic intelligence to stay away from FB. Sorry for those folks that have job related needs that require it. You are correct about it going the way of MySpace. Just a matter of time.

13. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

FB lost about 25% value of its stock today. Zuck was down about 16 billion dollars.

Nemo

14. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

I don't see the risk for them. If FB goes away, I'm sure they will either have a website built or go with whatever replaces it. Money saved in the meantime might account for their low prices.....good for me. Lots of younger people in that place filling out 4473's whenever I go in.

15. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I've been building web sites since the days of Lynx. One of my first was a social media web site which stared as a Usenet News open topic board before we had HTML. I'm well over the 40 year old mark. I'm even over the 60 year old mark which puts me in the boomer category. My kids are in their lat 30's and my grand kids are from 3 to 15 all but the 3 year old use FB. I have never used FB but my wife spends a lot of time on FB. The problem I have with FB is it is not an open site where everyone can get to it. It restricts access to business that only have FB as a web page to only people signed up with FB. A web site is not that expensive to have anymore. Where a web site would cost $10,000+ a year or more can now be had for a few hundred per year. Lots of low cost providers and lots of free development software to build a site. Easy to use for anyone with a couple of weeks to learn how. I still code the old fashioned way by hand using notepad as a text editor.

16. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

I used to have an account. When I learned what FB really is, and does, I permanently closed it. FB lies and says it is deleted (it isn't). I went to the step beyond just disabling it, which FB also lies about and says closes an account. I had to jump through hoops to permanently close it, and they made me go through a 1 or 2 week waiting period before it took effect.

I don't knowingly and willingly support the enemy. Not only do they mine and sell every bit of your personal information they can gather (from your entire network), but they are libtards. And Zuckieboy is a lying POS.

I have also distanced myself about as far away from Google as I can, while still owning a smartphone. Google is just as slimy and evil as FB.

I don't like supporting anti-gun libtards. So I try not to do so.

17. moe mensale

But not exclusively. They also use email and a website.

DonT likes this.
  18. moe mensale

You're giving androids a bad name. And Phuckerberg doesn't come with an "emotion" chip like Data does. :lol: