While at the Bookstore...

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by AeroShooter, Aug 30, 2007.

1. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

I had a pocket full of GCO cards... which I strategically placed inside particular books.

Here was my selection:

Armed America (Clayton Cramer)
    Armed America (photo essay by another author)

It Takes a Village

Don Cheadle's book on Dafur... 'cuz the second admendment is one of the key reason why America is not like those places.

Guns, Germs & Steel

2. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

3. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Isn't that the story of an infantry platoon in vietnam?

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

That isn't a bad idea at all. I wonder how the bookstore would like it, though. I'm not sure they would really find out, though.

5. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

Yes, it is a bad idea. I friggin' hate those damn spam messages in the books I pick up at the store. I used to think the last bastion of entertainment, free of advertising, was literature. Not so anymore.

I'm currently trying to read a lot about home buying, as I'd like to purchase a home in the near future. It's like magazine subscription blow-out cards: every time I pick up a book, these crap fliers and leaflets fall out telling me to call some crap 888-number to learn how to make $50K a year from my home with no down payment needed. It's awful, annoying and it may very well off-put the people who see it for what it is: a guerrilla advertising tactic.

I say keep advertising classy and traditional. Guerrilla advertising (casting with a big net) reeks of desperation, low funding, un-professionalism and poor planning.

6. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

So whats the difference between Guerrilla advertising and Viral Advertising?

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

So GCO is spam? It's not a 1800 number or anything. And, by putting them in relevant books, the audience is more likely to be interested.

8. AeroShooter

Bingo! I generally avoided books that, in my estimation, would not reach our most likely candidates. Except for the one card that I put in Hillary's book, ('cuz I ran out of on-topic books & I couldn't help but think I might razz a liberal)

9. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

I always want to put Hillary's books' dust cover on a book by Ann Coulter

10. AeroShooter

I remember hearing about a guy that took a Hilliary dust jacket and slipped it around a copy of Mein Kampf and tried to get her to autograph it at a book signing. Alas, his plot was uncovered during the execution.

11. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

:idea:

I can see that now

I hope you enjoy this book, I put a lot of thought into it.

Best wishes Hillary,

[​IMG]

And I ran across this one LOVE IT!!!

[​IMG]

12. VolGrad

I would have to agree with this statement. Although, it was really funny to me to hear you put the card in the Hillary book. To us GCO isn't SPAM but to someone else it might be. To some folks the other crap we call SPAM is gold. Somebody must buy into that crap or they wouldn't keep doing it.

You have to know if one of us saw some card for the anti-2a movement in one of our gun books we would be on the phone or back in the store immediately raising some kind of He!!.

EDIT: Sorry about the mis-quote. Once start quoting and double-quoting I get so confused. Honest mistake.

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I didn't say that. Honest mistake, I'm sure. But, by putting the cards in relevant books, the chance of that happening is slim to none.

14. VolGrad

I edited my message to correct the quote. Sorry for the mistake. If cards were only placed in relevant books, no funny business, then it might not appear as bad. However, I still wouldn't do it. But, that is just my opinion.

15. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I would not put GCO info. inside of any books without the store's permission. I don't think it is right. It was a good idea but there are better, more classy, ways of getting the GCO message out there.