Which firearm is best for home defense purpose?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Samuel16, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Samuel16

Samuel16 New Member

I was planning to buy a new firearm for home defense. But I was in a dilemma to choose one from the AR-15 pistol and 1911.

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

AR pistol, if you keep the weapon light enough and compact enough that you can effectively use it one-handed, thus keeping your other hand free to operate a phone, a flashlight, lock a door, or pull loved ones to safety.

But the model 1911 pistol in 45 caliber isn't a bad choice either.

Samuel16 likes this.

3. Samuel16

Samuel16 New Member

Thanks for the suggestion

4. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

If its your first handgun, strongly consider a revolver.
    They work, you don't have jams and are easily to load and unload as well as reload.
    If you have a misfire you just pull the trigger again and have a fresh round under the hammer.
    Its near impossible to have a negligent discharge when cleaning one.
    Chances of needing more than 6 rounds are rather small and with a bit of practice and a speed loader its a few seconds back to full battery.

If its your first handgun, strongly consider a revolver.

Colt, Charter Arms, Ruger, Smith and Wesson are all good quality reliable wheelies. Go with at least a 38sp. There are others also. Some have plastic in their manufacture. Go steel. I gave up plastic guns at age 10.

Nemo

torp, NTA, FrontSight and 1 other person like this.
  5. Hombre

Hombre PITA

Another thing to consider is that if you shoot a .45 without hearing protection (and especially while indoors), then your hearing will be permanently damaged.

If you do that with .223 (especially through a short barell), then your hearing will be very, very, very permanently damaged. They are obnoxiously loud, and you can feel the shockwave thump your chest...hard. So can anyone else anywhere around you.

That is one more reason I am a big fan of .45 ACP. I'm not sure if there any +P or +P+ .45 rounds that go supersonic, but generally, .45 ACP is subsonic. No sonic boom crack to damage your hearing even more. Plus, as they say, while a 9mm may expand, a .45 will never shrink. And a big rock almost always hurts more than a small rock. Sometimes, old, short, fat and slow gets the job done best. (I wish more women thought that) :mrgreen:

NTA, Smilodon, atlsrt44 and 2 others like this.
  6. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I might be wrong but your avatar is the same avatar of a troll we had a while back. And if you're from Tampa, FL why are you asking this on a GA gun board? You do know there are several active FL gun forums, don't you? Are you planing on moving to GA?

It's possible I'm wrong and I'll apologize if I am. And then, maybe I'm not.

7. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

U ain't.

8. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

moe being accurate is always a question unspoken.

My reply is solid gold fact. 2* highly regarded, well respected gents here agree with me.

Nemo 8)

*Make that 4 now.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  9. Hombre

Hombre PITA

Damn. It seems that I've been unwittingly feeding the troll. Sometimes I like to throw bread crumbs to carp in a park pond too, though.

10. henry321

henry321 Member

I hadn't thought about the hearing damage aspect indoors in this scenario. Good tips.

11. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with any of the responses though. Somebody will find them useful. :righton:

henry321 likes this.
  12. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

An AR-15 pistol and a 1911 are so different that I couldn't possibly see where there could be a "dilemma". My troll meter went beyond 50% on that one. Can I have the ban hammer please?

Harhib and NTA like this.
  13. gunsmoker

They're both very popular models that get mentioned often on gun related websites. So a spambot that combs through other websites (or even our own) looking for key terms to put into a spam post might use those .

14. gunsmoker

But, I can envision realistic circumstances were somebody would ask about the choice between
    (1) one of the most popular self defense handguns of the last 100 years
    and
    (2) one of the most popular combat-oriented
    rifle platforms of the last 50 years!

Also, he may have access to one of these guns already and he's considering buying the other kind.
    Or maybe he's got a special deal available on one of these guns which would not exist for some other make and model.

Perhaps his father or uncle is about to leave him one of these guns in a will or an inter vivos gift.

The two long guns In my safe that are kept handy and loaded for home defense scenarios are quite different from each other. I would only grab one, not both, yet I can't say ahead of time which one I would want in a given scenario because they are so very different from each other!

15. Smilodon

Smilodon Active Member

They are probably similar in price these days.