Which 357 mag to get.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Barry l., Apr 11, 2018.

1. Barry l.

Barry l. New Member

Looking to get a new 357 mag with a 3 inch barrel. I can’t decide on a GP100 or a Smith. Rather have 6 rounds (or more). My current carry is a Rossi 461 which I really like just want a slightly longer barrel. Does anyone carry a 4in barrel? Because I’m not opposed to those either.

2. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Look at at the S&W 686. Those are generally 7 round cylinder.
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/Smith-Wesson-Centerfire-Revolvers/706576.uts

I would also look at the Ruger SP101.
    https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com...uctDetail/Revolvers/prod99999032776/cat137904

But also look at the Charter Arms Mag Pug.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...ter+Arms+73520+Mag+Pug+5RD+357MAG/38SP++P+2.2

My wife has a Mag Pug as her EDC. 2.2 inch barrel, stainless steel, vented barrel and just plain fine machinery. The nice thing about CA is they only do wheel guns. And (imho) they do them well.

Note- compare prices on the links above.

Nemo

3. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Depending on budget I would go with the GP 100. The S&W 686 comes in both 6 and 7 round models and are great firearms but a little pricey. The 686 and the GP 100 both comes in 3'' and 4'' barrels. Another point on the GP 100 is it is every bit as good if not better than the 686 IMHO. I have both so I can make that personal comparison in my personal opinion.

4. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

I've wanted to ask someone that had both this question for a while - which trigger is smoother and break better?

5. Barry l.

Barry l. New Member

Thanks for the great input. The 686 is nice but indeed pricey.

6. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I have tried the Ruger at the store and fired the CA. IIRC the Ruger is a bit smoother. The CA is not good yet not bad, imho.

I have no good recollection on the S&W. Been a while since I handled one.

Nemo

7. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

My first ever carry gun was a GP100 4" barrel. Very bulky, if you prefer to conceal. A 3" barrel Ruger SP101 would be much more suited to CC.

8. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

On mine the Ruger has the better trigger. The caveat emptor to this is I personally did a trigger job on it. Prior to this the 686 may or may not have been any better. Sometimes I felt like the 686 was better but it was hard to tell most of the time. Over all with or without the trigger job I still prefered the GP 100. For some reason either it was more accurate or I was just more accurate with it. I can't give a definitive answer as to which way it was.

9. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Thanks. I've tried both in the LGS but there's no substitute for live fire over time.

10. johnski

johnski Active Member

Find a Dan Wesson 15-2 for around 4-500 dollars, and you can switch out barrels you can find on ebay from 2", 4", 6" 8" and occasionally 12", typically around 2-300 dollars for the barrels.

11. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Well???????

The OP was about the choice between the GP 100 or a S&W. And here we have someone talking about a Dan Wesson for $500 + $300 more for a barrel. Dan Wesson is just a very over priced S&W that offers little if any advantage over the Ruger or the S&W.

Sorry but I am not impressed with anything Dan Wesson has in the firearm market for the price. Mostly bragging rights for those that want to over pay for the firearms.

12. johnski

johnski Active Member

The 15-2 Dan Wessons are quality firearms and you can find them for anywhere from 4-500 dollars. That actually includes a barrel, believe it or not; the other barrels are optional but a nice option to have. S&W quality has gone down quite a bit. Mis-aligned barrels that have to be sent back, grips that leave the shooters hand bloody because they were made wrong, bad finishes, et. al.

I would encourage the original poster to try a Dan Wesson 15-2. They are well liked by their owners and there's a reason the extra barrels are 2-300 on ebay long after they stopped making the 15-2.

Taurus revolvers are a good option as well.

13. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Here lays the problem with Dan Wesson firearms. Resale value is the pits. Ruger and S&W will retain more of their value over other brands. The only way to get a 15-2 is to buy one someone else wants to get rid of because they just don't make them anymore. Why would there be so many replacement barrels available if they were quality barrels in the first place? If you have links on the above mentioned problems with the S&W brand I for one would like to see them. Either post or PM doesn't matter as long as the links are credible and not just S&W bash sites.

If you re read the OP carefully you will see he already has a Rossi 461.

F.Y.I. as a just in case. The Rossi brand name is owned by Taurus.

14. johnski

johnski Active Member

Different barrel lengths are available because that's how it was designed.

I like S&W but they are not the be all end all. I like Rugers too but have never bought one of their revolvers. That does not mean I dislike Ruger revolvers though. I'd like to get a GP-100 one day.

Chiappa Rhino would also be a great carry revolver and they started making 3-inch ones last year iirc. If the original poster can find one at a range or a friend that has one he should give one a try.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  15. Barry l.

Barry l. New Member

Update: Found a 4in GP100 that’s like new for $489 so I’m now the proud owner of a GP100. The Smiths are awesome but too high. I like the trigger on the GP and the sights are very easy to pick up.

16. johnski

johnski Active Member

"recently bought a brand new 686 deluxe talo edition 3" barrel and it was not centered just like your 686 only mine was canted to the right and I had to crank the windage almost all the way to the left. I would have thought a deluxe talo edition would have better quality control. I sent it to S&W 3 times and they can't mount the barrel straight and when it came back the third time it was full of tool marks and such where they fit a new barrel and just gouged the heck out of it. I sent it in the 4th time and it came back looking great with a crooked barrel. I will never buy another S&W product new or used in my lifetime and will tell everyone that asks me my opinion to buy a Ruger."

"bought a model 29–10 at a premium price planning on having something I could pass down to my kids. I grew up shooting Smith and Wesson revolver's and have always loved them. I was shocked at the quality of my model 29. The barrel was canted to the left, the finish sucked, and there was serious leading on the outside of the cylinder after firing"

"Model 640-1 so called “Professional Series” has made the trip back to S&W for repairs FOUR TIMES!! It had a canted barrel, hit 6” low at 25’, had a damaged front sight, the rear sight fell off, missing caliber etchings, other etchings mis-stamped twice, etc, etc... All issues while new in the box as shipped to me from S&W as a replacement gun for a broken Model 642. They replaced the barrel twice and finally fixed the canted barrel and point of aim issue along with the various other gripes."

"this morning a guy came in with a 581 s&w and the barrel was off. my buddy looked at it, did a slight turn but could not get it normal. told the guy to send it back."

"Purchased a new Trr8 in the fall of 2016.barrel nut, barrel shroud, and barrel backed out of their threads after only 200 fucking rounds thru it . Shame on Smith & Wesson"

"took a closer look at my recent 686 purchase because of other complaints. Yes, the barrel is "off" counterclockwise by about a millimeter or two looking from the front. It has been sent back to SW this week. If I had known this I would not have made my newest purchase...a 617."

"I would buy a damn Taurus before I spent $700 to $900 on a New S&W! I own 2 old 80s model S&W but no way on the new ones!"

"just sent back a 629 stealth hunter because the rifling was damaged from tooling and not just a little it was a lot this was a performance model"

"purchased a "new" Model 27 from them and you are correct sir. The POS stopped working after 2 months ( extractor rod), then again after another month when the locking bolt pin went flying across the range...approx 100 rounds. It's hit and miss with S&W"

"with S&W a little while ago on a 686 plus talo. It was on the cylinder though not the barrel. One of the holes wasn’t machined smooth so it wouldn’t eject the spent shell."

"two Smith revolvers. Both had massive gouges. My 686 was sent back and fixed. The 442 wasn’t worth sending back."

"purchased a "new" S & W model 27 6/12' .357. this POS had to go into service after less than 100 rounds through it ..... had to refit the bolt, lock bolt and centre pin..... but not until after the extractor rod gouged a chunk of blued metal from the gun."

"S&W family sold the company and is now owned by whomever . Isn't this why Dan Wesson wanted to start his own company ? It is no longer owned by people of S&W level of honor and integrity"

17. johnski

johnski Active Member

Gratz Barry let us know how it shoots. I need a Ruger GP100 one day soon hopefully!

18. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

What a deal! Now you have to do a range report when you get a chance to pop some caps with it.

19. Barry l.

Barry l. New Member

Range report to come tomorrow hopefully.

20. zetor

zetor Active Member

What a crock. Type in "Ruger revolvers suck" "Remington Rifles suck" "Glock sucks" and you can fill more crocks with the same meaningless nonsense.