Whether the Second Amendment Secures an Individual Right

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Rugerer, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

I ran across this from 2006 while I was trying to find something else in my old emails. I couldn't find it mentioned before in here, except for a bit of discussion about John Ashcroft's "individual rights" memo, which I think this preceded.

A DOJ memo entitled
    WHETHER THE SECOND AMENDMENT SECURES AN INDIVIDUAL RIGHT
    August 24, 2004
    MEMORANDUM OPINION FOR THE ATTORNEY GENERAL

http://www.justice.gov/olc/secondamendment2.pdf

It's a little long at 107 pages, but I found it a great pithy synopsis of Second Amendment history.

Interesting to see that the Second Amendment was considered "incorporated" by a leading Constitutional commentator (William Rawle) as far back as 1829.

Sneaking in gun restrictions with handwaving about protecting hunting seems to be an old tactic too.

And the usual argument, but from 1766, that we can't just let anyone have a gun. Gosh, we could have Commotions and blood in the street.

Anybody here been drawn to Brigandage yet. :)

Lots of great historical context and background. It's always interesting to me to see just how little human nature changes over the years.

2. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

[​IMG]

That's my view on Individual Rights.

3. niadhf

niadhf New Member

:righton: +1

4. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

What the DOJ said:

I guess I should mention their conclusion.

5. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Banned

The Second Amendment means that states can prohibit law abiding citizens (no federal or state prohibitions) from carrying loaded firearms for self-defense. The exceptions are if you have a handgun carry permit, hunting, fishing, a judge, or a cop.That is what the judge ruled today in my lawsuit.

6. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

:rotfl2: where in the heck did you find that? That's hilarious, but also so true.