Where to buy surplus wool U.S. Army blankets cheap?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by latter_day_hippie, Jan 9, 2017.

1. latter_day_hippie

latter_day_hippie Well-Known Member

I am looking to buy four or six, either the WWII spec blankets that weighed about five pounds each or the Cold War-era spec blankets that weighed about four pounds each. Any suggestions on where to find them used and cheap? eBay and Amazon are pricey, and I don't have time this month to go on a tour of Army-Navy stores.

(My girlfriend has sleep challenges and some recent research suggests that "heavy" bedding can be beneficial in addressing them. There are specialty blankets that weigh 10-12 pounds that retail for -- I am not kidding -- hundreds of dollars. I figure two or three heavy old army blankets in a duvet cover are a more cost-effective way to test the potential benefit.)

Thanks!

2. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

You need one of my grandmothers quilts. They weighted about 82 pounds.

3. latter_day_hippie

4. latter_day_hippie

Perfect! Have any you want to get rid of cheap? :lol:

5. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

How much do you weigh?
    :)

6. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

Watch out for Plantar Fasciitis - from prolonged pointing the toes under heavy bedding.

7. AtlPhilip

I wish I had one... :(

8. phaed

phaed Active Member

i've had that before, and that stuff is no joke. lasted a year, was very hard to get rid of. i didn't know you could get it from that though. makes sense, good to know.

as for those army blankets, they're really course and scratchy. buyer beware.

9. AtlPhilip

This helps: Fill a 2 liter bottle with water and freeze it. Stretch an old tube sock over the bottle. Place it on the floor and roll it back and forth under your foot.

10. xls177

xls177 Member

Midway,cheaper than dirt ,ebay, Army Navy surplus stores all have them from time to time. mostly foreign made.
    Sizes and wool percentage may vary.

11. jmorriss

jmorriss Active Member

With, or without smallpox?

12. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Also strengthening exercises.

Face up a flight of stairs, stand on tip-toes on the edge of the bottom step, raise one foot and lower down the heel of the other foot over 8-10 seconds, use both feet to raise back up then switch.

TL;DR: Do heel dips using a stair. Alternate left and right feet.

13. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

Don't remember prices, but try Army-Navy Discount Center in Marietta- off Hwy 41 & Hwy 5.