Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in the Norcross area. Willing to drive 30-60 minutes in any direction. I'm hoping there's a wildlife management area or some type of deep woods place to legally shoot outdoors. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wilson Shoals WMA has an outdoor range. It's staffed, which keeps the yahoo's down. You need a WMA stamp, cost $20 a year. Probably an hour from Norcross, 85N to 985, a few minutes north of Gainesville. The DNR operates several ranges, that's probably closest to you.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
National forest land is legal to shoot on for free. Just pick up your trash. And pick a solid backstop and be aware of your surroundings so you don't take out a hiker.

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,695 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You All for the responses.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wilson Shoals WMA has an outdoor range. It's staffed, which keeps the yahoo's down. You need a WMA stamp, cost $20 a year. Probably an hour from Norcross, 85N to 985, a few minutes north of Gainesville. The DNR operates several ranges, that's probably closest to you.
Awesome

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
National forest land is legal to shoot on for free. Just pick up your trash. And pick a solid backstop and be aware of your surroundings so you don't take out a hiker.
I'm gonna look up National Forest Land.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,519 Posts
The west side of Atlanta is like an all-you-can-shoot buffet.
Especially after 11 pm on Friday and Sattiday nights.
You can probably get 100 yards at a dozen points along the former Bankhead Hwy, and 300 yards up and down the former Stewart Ave.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Check out the DNR website on shooting ranges.

http://georgiawildlife.com/shooting-ranges

I like the Johns Mountain WMA and the Chestnut Mountain shooting range. $5 parking fee only.

http://georgiawildlife.com/chestnut-mountain-shooting-range

Upside: cheap, no DNR rangers. Downside: no supervision or range control, so you have to contend with the occasional unsafe yahoo.
I go there occasionally. Sometimes it's nice. Sometimes you have to wait up to an hour for a bench, because it's jam packed during the day on a weekday. Sometimes there are yahoos, like you mentioned. Idiots who muzzle-sweep everyone.

But if you get there when it's not crowded, it is a nice place to shoot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts