When You Die

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Rammstein, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

If you have the ability to know exactly when and how you would die would you want to know?*

*(even though you know when/how you can't change that)

2. Foul

Foul New Member

Hell, why not.

It could be fun in a "Final Destination" sort of way.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I watched Stranger Than Fiction this weekend.

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I would want to know.

I think it would allow me to have a time frame for my life so that I could get everything I wanted to accomplish done before I leave this world.

5. Taler

Taler New Member

And you can't do that without knowing, Ramm?

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

You've got to do what you can. If you knew, that would take half the fun out of it.

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

No...you probably can. That is just my self-diagnosed OCD showing up.

8. DrGlock

DrGlock New Member

I would definately want to know, so that I could gain the full experience of it.

As long as it didn't involve the testicles.

I KNOW YOU WERE ALL THINKING THAT, SOMEONE HAD TO SAY IT!!! :shock:

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I would want to know. My last month or two would be a blast. All those things that look like fun, but are VERY dangerous, I would do in my last week. Base jumpin glooks like fun. Ever wanted to climb Mt Everest? Dive off of the cliffs in Rio? Run with the bulls in Pamplona <sp>? Go diving with Great Whites in Australia? Common sense says don't, you could get killed. Big **cking deal !!! If you're about to die anyway..... DO IT !!!!

10. rajl

rajl New Member

I love life too much to want to know.

While it remained far away, I'd be ok with knowing; but as the date approached, I have serious doubts if I would be one to go peacefully into that good night. Kicking and screaming perhaps. No, spare me the dread. In this case, ignorance lets me live in peace.

11. Taler

Taler New Member

But Adam5, what about knowing a date certain, at the end of a debilitating illness that precludes doing any of those things? Would you still want to know?

I know, this situation changes the paradigm, because it happens far too often in life.

But the real point is that which I implied in my post in response to Ramm... Why aren't you/we living in the way you describe anyway, with the fulfillment, fun, and so forth?

I probably owe you all an apology here, but during the recent past, I've had two people, who I really like and care about, who knew that date within a couple of months. Both had, for the most part, lived vibrant and loving lives, prior to learning when they would die. Interestingly, one retreated after learning of the time he had remaining, while the other lived (or tried to, anyway) his remaining time much the way you described, Adam5, although he had no particular interest in base, or even bungee, jumping.

Again, sorry for the diversion, but I'm still trying to whittle my way to a better understanding of what I saw, and why, and this thread has served as an additional trigger.

Taler

12. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

You all can speak for yourselves... I plan to live forever... :shock: :lol:

13. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I do live that way. (Except for the things listed above that I'm too chicken sh*t to try) Lifes too short to waste.

14. Taler

Taler New Member

After meeting you Adam5, I suspected you did.

15. Malum Prohibitum

The real answer to the question What would you do if you knew you were going to die in a year? is another question.

Why don't you go do that anyway?
    :D

Not many people answer: I would put in more time at the office. :wink:

16. Taler

Taler New Member

Good point MP.

Taler

17. Malum Prohibitum

What? I can't answer right now. I am busy at the office. :D

18. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Interesting.....who would elect to be immortal?

19. rajl

rajl New Member

I definitely would.