Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting story/tale/myth but some things to think about. Kind of an ad but not so much. Go read the rest. You will in all likelihood learn or find something to think about.

I could not find where else to put this so its here. Should some place else be better, the powers that be shall determine if and where.

Nemo

www.readymantv.com/my-home-invasion/

My Home Invasion
Published on March 6, 2017
by
Jason Ross in Uncategorized

How Nothing Went According to Plan
7:45pm (this Saturday night)

Our family and two girlfriends of my wife sat around the dinner table eating vegetable soup and roast chicken. A complete stranger walked into our kitchen, dressed in gang-banger pants and a t-shirt, and said, “I’m not sure if I’m in the right place.â€
 We had never seen him before in our lives.

Our home is outside of the city â€" a fifteen minute drive from downtown â€" and he had driven over boulders, mud and snow to circumvent our sixty-foot iron gate to get inside our home perimeter.

I was seated at the far end of the table with three kids and three women between him and me. The closest firearm was several rooms away.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,936 Posts
Sorry, but I have to call BS. Too many things don't add up.

Sixty foot iron fence?
He decocked a 1911?
His SEAL friend triangulated?
No one called police until the next day?

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be bogus. But it is a good scenario to think about.

Nemo

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts
The story strains credibility, but... but... it could be true.
It certainly is possible.
There are many crazy people out there who do bizarre things, and not all "crime victims" react the same way. Some crime victims really do care about the safety and well-being of their fellow man, and would hold off on using deadly force or forcing a confrontation likely to end with deadly force, when another viable option is to let each party go their separate ways unharmed.

Good points to think about:

1-- Is there a physical barrier to prevent a stranger's vehicle from driving up your driveway and parking next to your home? What if it's a robbing crew and they need to have their vehicle with them in order to haul away the stuff they plan to steal from you? What if their plan is to use a ladder to climb in to your daughter's bedroom and kidnap her, and thus they need their pickup truck with the ladder in the bed nearby?

Will your driveway barrier really stop or slow down an intruder, or is easily defeated or bypassed?

2-- Do you have a warning system to alert you when a vehicle or person travels up your driveway? This is an inexpensive thing to buy and easy to install. If you're not expecting guests, it gives you a heads-up so you can see who's arriving at least several seconds before they can get to your front door.

3-- If a random stranger or intruder gets to your home undetected, and you're not in sight (suppose you're in the basemen workshop running a drill or circular saw, with ear protection on), will that stranger find your doors unlocked? What's preventing a stranger from just walking right in?

4-- In this story, the homeowner's firearms were "several rooms away." That's something to think about. Certainly that's convenient and comfortable, to "carry" a gun by leaving it on your nightstand in your bedroom. But if something goes down in or around your home, do you really want to have to make that trip to your bedroom and back before you can deal with the problem?

5-- The homeowner kept calm. He observed what was going on, oriented himself to the problem (and predicted how things might turn out in the near future), decided on a course of action, and acted to carry out the plan he just made. And as he was acting on his plan, he continued to monitor the situation (more observation and orientation), and was ready to change his plan if circumstances changed (decide, act).

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
Sorry, but I have to call BS. Too many things don't add up.

Sixty foot iron fence?
Look at the 4th and 8th pictures in the article. It's more of a roadway gate than a fence.

Plausible story.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Why decock a pistol when there is an intruder in the house? Why wait till the next day to call the police?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts