When do you break the Safety Rules

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Sine Nomen, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

We all would like to answer never, but I suspect the reality is diferent for most us us.

For me:

#1 Treat every gun as if it's loaded at all times.
    Once I have visually and physically checked the chamber and feeding devices of a firearm, I will consider it to remain unloaded for the time period that it remains in my hand. If I put it down on the table, it must be rechecked when I pick it up. I also offer visual inspection to anyone else in the area before proceeding with anything unsafe with a loaded weapon e.g. feeling the trigger pull at the gun shop.

#2 Never allow a gun to point at anything you are not prepared to put holes in.
    I'll let this one go for inanimate objects once I have verified that the guns in unloaded and it has not yet left my hand. I will not allow it to point at anything living until it has been dismantled.
    This rule also basically vanishes for me once the gun is secured in a holster that fully covers the trigger. I still find it polite to not point a loaded holster at anyone.

#3 Do not put your finger until you are ready to fire.
    I will not put my finger on the trigger until I am ready for the striker to fall. I will pull the trigger when I'm field stripping at home with the gun pointed up at the roof or down at my garage. I'm not really ready to shoot either of these places, but I could deal with it if it happened. I sometimes leave my finger on the trigger when I go to ready position to get a better look at my target at the range, and I know that I need to work on this.

#4 Always be sure of your target, and what's behind it.
    Even if it's with a BB pistol or bow and arrows, I always try to anticipate EVERYTHING a projectile could hit, even if I miss my target completely. That being said, I would take a shot at someone in my home, or possibly in public knowing the danger to others if I miss. I will accept the risk and consequences that someone might get injured by a stray shot before standing down watching someone actually getting injured by willful evil, especially if that someone is me.

2. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I think that is a good list, but I made an addition to your #1 on the list after a ND.

I was showing my cousin how to handle a firearm and had picked out a revolver to use for its simplicity. I was explaining how the firearm worked and had already gone over gun safety, discussing the things you listed. Sometime during my discussion with her of how a revolver works I must have used the speed loader to reload the weapon. It was done automatically by me and is something that bothers me to this day.

The result was that when I cycled the weapon to show her how the action worked I ended up shooting a .38 size hole in the ground.

I would like to point out that I have ran military rifle and pistol ranges. I have taught gun safety classes and even been commended during IG reviews for my stance on weapon safety. Yet, I still have experienced a ND personally.

So, at least for me, I have an addition to rule #1. Not only do I always now visually check the firearm as it enters my hand and as it exits my hand, but I also visually check it if I have had a conversation while it is in my hand before I place my finger on the trigger.

3. ber950

ber950 Active Member

They didn't come down from heaven on tablets of stone.

Cooper had a long dissertation on this years ago. The four rules are an oversimplification of reality.
    Coopers rule One All guns are loaded is of course not true. He was asked why not be more specific ? Basic answer too complicated. Cooper was big on mind set. If your mind set is all guns are loaded it makes you extra careful.

Many others have made similar comments through the years.

There is a good discussion of this on The Gun Zone.

http://www.thegunzone.com/therules.html