What's Your EDC Bag? Bug Out Bag? Get Home Bag? Other?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by RedDawnTheMusical, Feb 12, 2018.

1. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

We had a discussion going on in another thread about an EDC pack and it diverged into a general about what kind of packs/bags people use (ok - that was my fault, but whatever). So it begs the question how others here prep for EDC or short excursions. Do you have a Bug Out Bag (BOB), GHB (Get Home Bag), or I'm Never Coming Home (INCH) Bag? Do you regularly carry the bag or otherwise keep it readily handy? How did you decide what to put into pack? Your brand of gear, your reasoning for selecting certain items over another?

I'm interested in everyone's thoughts and practices with regards to these survival kits. Hopefully others are as well...

Archangel likes this.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

A small kit that is clipped on my belt if I get downtown playing tourist or out on the not so tourist lane through the national park. But if in the park situation I would have a much larger belt kit from under the rear seat also. This carries the extras that would make life scrounging the more useful stuff more comfortable. The container is a prescription bottle of the heavy plastic with sealing lid that is about 1.5 inches diameter and 2.75 inches tall. I prefer the carried in a script bottle rather than braided in the paracord. If its all in the cord and I need the cord the contents are just jammed in a pocket.

Nemo

Contents List

Short piece of spark stick
    2 coffee filters folded up tight and sealed in the fat straws. Great things, both his straws and my filter idea.
    Single edge razor blade- taped up so stay sharp
    2 eleven inch zip ties.
    2 thin straws sealing in vaseline cotton fire tinder
    2 Wendys salt packets
    2 Sugar packs
    2 germ gel sealed in regular straws
    2 good size band aid
    Small P-38 can opener
    3 Water puification tables

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Archangel likes this.

3. RedDawnTheMusical

This is pretty interesting and brings up an important point - survival kits, EDC packs, etc. don't need to (and often shouldn't) be full backpacks loaded up like an INCH bag or the such. A knife, can opener, fire steel, water purification tablets, a little tinder, etc. can go a long way in unexpected situations. The DIY supplies in sealed straws is a great way to minimize and customize what you're carrying.

Archangel likes this.
  4. Nemo

I you are looking for one to add to your own daily driver or just a kit for needs, I found a pretty good one already made up at a decent price.

Not a bad idea to replace some items with a better quality similar item. Or print this out and use it as a baseline kit build diagram.

Not the best, not the worst but can cover a few dozen miles when you don't have other stuff.

Nemo

https://www.amazon.com/Everlit-Emer...Bracelet/dp/B0774H76P5/ref=pd_rhf_sc_p_img_12

5. RedDawnTheMusical

Not a bad way to get started, as long as the purchaser actually uses the equipment and becomes familiar with it (which should be the case for any bag/pouch). In order for these kits to be efficient, the tools have to be pretty basic - leveraging the capabilities of them comes from being able to improvise and adapt with them.

6. Glockenator

Glockenator Village idiot

I don't really have an EDC or GHB, but I do spend a lot of time in the woods, and I get into dangerous places and situations there, exploring, so I normally throw my bag over my shoulder if I am leaving sight of my vehicle. One of these, which happens to be a very good quality rig and extremely handy to have:

https://www.maxpedition.com/products/sitka-gearslinger?variant=39172810833

In addition to the gold pan and small plastic shovel always in it, I keep a flashlight, spare batteries, compass, several Bic lighters, a small Sawyer water purifier, a bandana (makes a great wrap when you cut the living sheatt out of your hand or arm while in the woods), and a small first aid kit (with cyanoacrylate - superglue, which can become instant stitches), and a few other incidentals.

And in that bag, and also in every other small bag I might ever carry in the woods, is the most important woods survival item of all - a couple of feet of toilet paper!!!

7. RedDawnTheMusical

It is going to be hard to go wrong with a Maxpedition bag and it sounds like it is well equipped. I'd add to that bug spray, life, gun, etc. but you probably have that with you as well.

8. Glockenator

Yep - a gun is always on me. And never in a bag.

I am so full of piss & vinegar that bugs rarely bother me :mrgreen:. Well, except in south GA, where even bug spray has very little effect on those voracious critters. I despise smoking, but I have found that a cigar clamped in your teeth is about the only way there is to keep black gnats and deerflies out of your face and scalp.

Maxpedition stuff is expensive. And heavy. But it always works.

9. RedDawnTheMusical

I'll throw out my field bag for consideration here. This is a new bag I put together for day hikes as the weather gets warmer. It usually has a little extra in it (trail mix, bandana, etc.) but it will give you a good idea. The bag is from Filson and is 22oz cotton twill with bridle leather - all handcrafted. It is an item that I look forward to handing down to my son someday.
    [​IMG]

For contents, it has a medical kit (mostly store purchased w/ a few custom additions), knife (from Fletcher Knives), binoculars, 32oz. water bottle, sawyer water filter and bag, military-style compass, Olight M2R Warrior flashlight, Epic body wipe, bug repellant, fire puck tinder (good for 30 minutes of burn time), leather notebook and pan, and custom fire/survival kit.
    [​IMG]

For the custom fire/survival kit, I incorporate several ways to start a fire (Exotac liquid fuel lighter, UCO Stormproof matches in an Exotac waterproof case, Exotac fire steel, spare lighter fluid in Zippo canister, three fat rope sticks (awesome fire tinder), a fishing kit, 30ft of UST ParaTinder paracord, steel rope chain saw, etc.
    [​IMG]

10. Glockenator

^^ Now, that's a good survival kit. Impossible to think of or carry everything you might possibly need, but the foreseeable essentials are there.

The goal of mine is only to get me through the night, or back to my vehicle, if something bad happens.

11. RedDawnTheMusical

And that is really the crux of it. No bag/pouch will have everything for every situation. You have to weigh the likelihood of various situations and prep with what you think is more likely, using general gear that can adapt to multiple purposes (e.g. a knife that can not only be used for cutting paracord and the such, but also for batoning wood). On my hikes, I should never need to start a fire, but I have to acknowledge the potential for stuff to go wrong and that I might have to spend a night in the woods, hence the inclusion of gear that would help with that.

12. Nemo

I agree, HIGHLY important. I keep half to 2/3 roll of TP in another small pack. Take it off the wall rack and push the stiff cardboard tube out of the center of the roll. That will permit it to squeeze down to about 1/2 the original volume, making it fit better in smaller a smaller kit.

Nemo

13. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

What bug out bag. haven't you guys watched any post apocalyptic shows/movies. As soon as something happens, you just go take what you need from someone else, then cook their butt for dinner.

Scout706 likes this.
  14. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Mine is for more of a corporate event kind of thing and maybe for single night if I had to for some crazy reason. I figure that about the worst case scenario that I'm subject to be in would be an office shooting. Despite corporate policy I carry certain somethings that are not... let's say HR approved in my EDC. :)

Along the same thought I figured the main thing that might be usable in such a scenario is really time sensitive injuries. I keep a tourniquet device, a chest seal bandage and one heavy duty compression wrap bandage - stuff that will hopefully keep someone from bleeding out or suffocating for ten minutes until real medical help can arrive.

Daily use items in my bag:
    • Smart brand water bottle
    • bandana
    • a couple of device chargers
    • a portable hard drive with a bunch of movies & music
    • ear buds
    • chap stick
    • wall charger & USB cable
    I also have a bunch of small "survival" items that I could spend a day or two in the woods with if I just had to. It'd be uncomfortable and ugly but I could do it. Not sure why I even have some of that stuff in there because I don't actually believe I'll ever need it but it doesn't take up much space or weight so eh.. why not. heh. I'm a grown up boy scout.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018 at 9:48 AM
  15. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

OK, I'll bite. What's a smart water bottle?

16. Glockenator

17. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

18. Dan

Dan Active Member

My Bugout bag has two MREs and other high calorie energy bars, a change of clothes, fire starters, some OTC drugs, First Aid kit, water filtration/treatment, Two robust knives (Esee 4 & Cold steel SRK San Mai). I have an old milk crate with 2 gallons of water and a small tool kit.

My range bag is always with me and I almost always have a full sized 9mm with 3 extra mags for it and 3 mags for my AR15. I always have my AR15, if its in my truck it's tethered to my trunk with a thick steel cable run thru the upper/lower receiver and padlocked.

RedDawnTheMusical likes this.
  19. RedDawnTheMusical