What's wrong with me?

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by JeffSmith2208, Nov 17, 2010.

1. JeffSmith2208

JeffSmith2208 New Member

Ok, so until a few months ago I was almost against OC (not in general, just against me OCing). I never left my home without CCing, and only a few times had I OC'd. I got dirty looks, snickers behind the back, and just felt as if I had some snot running down my face, if you know what I mean. It was also summer time and OC with shorts and flip flops is less than "profesional." Lets face it, if we are going to be open about carrying a gun then we shouldn't look like bums while we do it. Bum equals unsafe! Anyhow, one day, when the weather had cooled a bit, I put on some jeans, and my Serpa holster, and haven't CC since. All I do is OC, it's like I'm addicted to it. I love the fact that I get to answer questions and say things like, "yes YOU can carry a gun, it is YOUR right." It took my wife some getting use to, she still isn't crazy about it, but I love it now.

My question is this, what happened? I used to think that OC was not "tactical" and was just for people wanting to advertise that they have a gun. I use to be uncomfortable with the cold stares, but I couldn't give a **** now. Will I ever be able to CC again? Has anyone else had this happen to them? Will the dynamic duo survive until next time?

2. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Similar situation. I argued, on this forum, for the tacticool advantage of CC, and pretty well got set straight. To each his or her own. I'll never criticize either group again. I've been strictly OC for nearly two years. In the words of "gruntpain": "Liberating isn't it?"

3. Gunfixer69

Gunfixer69 New Member

I felt the same way when I started oc'ing. Now I wouldn't have it any other way. The only thing that makes me more proud to live in America is voting. If I could oc and vote that would the bees knees.

4. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

That day's coming! Join GeorgiaCarry.org!

5. SoonerPast

SoonerPast New Member

I still don't understand the "desire" to carry openly. But it may lie in the realm that I really am an introvert.

6. higabyte

higabyte New Member

I was very nervous when I started oc'ing. Still am a tad, but I still oc everywhere. If anything is keeping me oc'ing, its the comfort factor of all things lol.

7. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

Pssst, Countrygun. Go read his website. He's already a member!

8. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

:oops: Forgive me? Why are people so shy about letting people know? (Seems I'm using the "oops" smiley a lot more than I should). :oldtimer:

9. Kingfish

Kingfish New Member

I am an introvert as well. Once you figure out that you have no obligation to talk to people that want to talk to you or if you do choose to, the conversation lasts only as long as YOU want it to. Actually just last weekend the wife and I were out eating and a guy asked me what I was carrying. I did not want to stand and talk so I just told him what it was and that was that.

10. Kingfish

Kingfish New Member

Na, it does not matter what we wear. Just OC in your normal cloths and carry on.

11. Hock25

Hock25 New Member

12. Paladin

Paladin Fattus Patrickus

For me, it was the open expression of my rights that hooked me on OC. I occasionally conceal, but it's not a concious act so much as the weapon just happens to be covered by my big top of a winter jacket!

13. Signal 69

Signal 69 Member

I have said this more than once. "Know one you know you have a weapon usless they need to". Look at the man who walked into the game store in Rockdale Co. he could have fought off his attackers or just gave them another gun had he been armed open carrying. Crime is getting worst and I feel bad guys just may shoot you and take you weapon if they see you have one.

When you come up blasting the last thing the bad guy should remember judgement day is I was robbing someone and I just heard fire crackers going off.

14. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Huh? :screwy: Signal69 impostor!

15. Kingfish

Kingfish New Member

Please do a little research. Should you find ONE example anywhere in the country of a private citizen(non LEO, non security guard) being "shot first" come back an present your argument.

16. JMJ2

JMJ2 New Member

There ain't nothing wrong with you. What your doing is fine in my book. I don't OC much but if someone else does, thats their business. Alot of people are against OC but if you are aware of your surroundings as you should be, you really aren't at a tactical disadvantage. CC may just let you walk away from a situation without responding so no one can consider you a coward for not acting in a critical situation. Just use a good holster that has good retention and carry on and educate the sheep. I see no difference in my response in certain situations whether I conceal or carry openly cause I'll probably have cleared the holster before the shooting starts anyway.

17. Paladin

Paladin Fattus Patrickus

1 - this doesn't have anything to do with the thread.

2 - It hurt my head reading it.

18. moga

moga New Member

Uh huh. And there's the case of the gang of robbers in Kennesaw from Feb this year that decided against sticking up Waffle House because a few of our own were openly carrying that night. Right from the horse's mouth.

I haven't come across one iota of anecdotal or direct data to support the assertion that bad guys gravitate armed citizens to commit robbery. Not one iota. However there is plenty of both to support the concept that bad guys look elsewhere when an armed citizen is brought to their attention.

19. moga

moga New Member

Just my personal observation but if you present yourself as a responsible, productive adult while OC then people tend not to wonder if you should be carrying a weapon and whether they should be concerned. Go about your business with the quiet confidence of knowing your legal and capable of taking care of business and so will everyone else.

20. IcarryOPEN

IcarryOPEN New Member

Here is my opinion on OC and CC,
    We all carry for diffrent reasons but one reason why we carry that most of us share is protection........what is a better deterant......He might have a gun or he DOES have a gun. what makes you look at your speedometer when you are driving........a police cruiser parked on the shoulder of the road or the unmarked one blended in with traffic........The presence of an armed citizen is all it takes sometimes to deter a violent crime. This is just my opinion and nothing more.