What's it gonna take?!

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by USMC - Retired, May 19, 2006.

1. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

What's it gonna take to get enforcement of the 60 days or less license law? Will it only be addressed when a law abiding citizen is killed while unarmed in an area that no one should go unarmed on day 60+++ after submitting for his GFL because some probate judge refused to obey the law?

2. wwomack

wwomack New Member

The only way I imagine this getting fixed is to change the law such that there is a penalty for late issuance. If there is a monetary penalty, such as $x per day after 60 days paid from the probate court directly to the applicant that this would clean up really fast. The problem with the 60 day limit in the law is that there is no penalty for breaking it. A law with no penalty attached is worthless.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I agree, a penalty is needed. Unfortunatly the only way it will probably be changed is to have someone hurt or killed.

4. USMC - Retired

Here's a thought, what about a class action lawsuit on behalf of all the applicants that had to wait over 60 days. If nothing else it may get someone’s attention. Anyone know a high profile lawyer that might take the case? I figure it could be filed on the grounds that illegally delaying the process of applications puts applicants at risk and they should be compensated for endangerment.

5. USMC - Retired

PLEASE READ! VERY IMPORTANT INFO!

I just spoke with a gentleman at the NRA Legal Defense Council. THE NRA WANTS TO HELP MAKE THE PROBATE COURTS OBEY THE LAW!
    But they need information from us to make this happen. If you have been a victim of the probate courts refusal to issue within 60 days please take a few minutes to describe your situation and email it to the following address with "Attention NRA General Council - subject Georgia Concealed Carry" in the subject line. The email address is nracrdf@nrahq.org you can also fax a letter if you wish to (707)267-3985. Please take a bit of your time to make this happen, with the NRA backing our play we may be able to fix this now!

MP, Given your gift in legal matters, could you produce a letter to send to the NRA on this with excerpts from the applicable statutes?

GS1, Could you find a way to ensure as many members as possible see this, perhaps an email?

6. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

I guess you've answered your own question :D Thanks for the info! I'll get an e-mail to them because my wife is now at 102 days!

While this 60-day issue really only affects us once, you're an example of how we can start getting Georgia's bogus laws changed! TAKE ACTION!!!

Sometimes just a little leadership and guidance is all people need.

Thanks again! :righton:

7. USMC - Retired

We as group and as individuals HAVE to take action. No one will look out for your rights if you don't do it yourself! I can't count the number of times I've called my local state senator and representative in the last two weeks. That and I have emailed the Governor twice on two different second amendment issues. My point being, "the squeeky wheel gets the oil". If we can get folks from all over the state doing the same, sooner or latter it will sink in that "we the people" who vote come election time want to see some changes!