WHAT'S IN YOUR MAGAZINE?

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by 47Cowboy, Nov 1, 2007.

1. 47Cowboy

47Cowboy New Member

OK folks; check out the article in the NOV/DEC issue of AMERICAN HANDGUNNER. (at Wal-Mart for 5.37 + tax) and worth your time to read.
    One of the topics discussed and covered at Front Sight in the Combat Master Course was "muzzle flash" in the "fun house" in a dark environment and the loss of your vision in the encounter.
    To cut to the chase. . . train/target practice with whatever you want. . .but carry LOW MUZZEL FLASH rounds in your weapon.
    Was there and saw the difference :!: "What is in my wallet :)
    Federal "Personal Defense". Will not get the local DA on you about "unnecessary force". . . .whatever the hell that is :) and is baiscally a "Hydro Shock" round.
    Comments Welcome :D

2. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

After taking Ken's class at Firearmz I picked up a box of the Winchester Ranger 127g +p+ 9mm rounds that he recommended. They are way less expensive than the CorBon stuff I had been buying. (about $22/50 at AmmunitionToGo.com vs. $18-$20 for 20 of the CorBon DPX). A friend took his class recently and they did some night shooting and demonstrated the different muzzel flash. He said it was a significant difference. Basically the Winchester Ranger stuff is very similar to their old Black Talon ammo. Plus at that price you can shoot some of it for practice to get familiar and make sure it runs reliably in your rig without breaking the bank. I have that for 9mm and .357sig, they don't list it for 38 +p and .357mag. I am curious what you wheel gun guys carry.

3. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

+1 on the Winchester +p+ 127 grain 9mm. It's very effective stuff in my experience and very low flash.
    It comes in a 50 round box for the price of the other fancy 20 round boxes.

Has anybody compared the black box and red box Hornady TAP ammo?

I'm curious. The black box (civie version) in .223 doesn't have a bad muzzle flash at night.

4. moga

moga New Member

For now, Double Tap +p 124 gr low flash. $25/50 rounds. I will load up with 147gr DT +p just as soon as Midway gets some back in stock.

5. Blackadder

Blackadder Guest

Glock 33: Double Tap 115gr Gold Dot
    Glock 32: Double Tap 125gr Gold Dot
    Glock 21: Hornady TAP 200gr +p
    Glock 20: Double Tap 185gr Golden Saber
    GLock 19: CorBon DPX 115gr. +p

6. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Fast cars and beautiful women!!!

7. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

As MLK said, "I have a dream"
    As Clint Eastwoods said, "A man has to know his limitations"
    :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

8. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Ranger SXT 155gr +P in .40.

9. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

Rangers lead the way!!!!!

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I do not worry a scintilla about this.

11. 47Cowboy

47Cowboy New Member

MP, thanks for your comment and taking the time to read my post.

12. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

Either Speer Gold dots or Federal Hydro Shocks depending on the weapon or magazine.

13. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

They still make Black Talons, they just call them SXT or Rangers now and the tips are not black. Go to AmmunitionToGo.com and order you a box of Rangers in your flavor.

14. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

CorBon 135gr .40S&W

Ramm, said it best: What's in your mag is irrelevant RE the DA's case against you. You're either justified or not.

That being said, if you pack feces, or some other matter (mercury, arsenic, etc.) into the hollow points... I think you may have some issues.

15. SamTay04

SamTay04 New Member

GrimJack. You have ordered stuff from this site before?

16. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I've ordered from them. In fact, that's where I get my SXTs.

Good folks. Good service. Good shipping. Good product.

Good overall.

17. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

Yep, a couple of times. Seem to be decent, never had a problem.

18. SamTay04

SamTay04 New Member

19. GunNut

GunNut New Member

I have ordered from them a couple of times as well, never had a problem either.

I also ordered some Rangers from this site, as Ammo to Go didn't have them in .45. No problems from them either.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/

20. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P for 9mm, Gold Dot 230gr for .45

Muzzle flash can be an issue at night, but honestly I wonder about how much of a problem this is in a self-defense circumstance. For LEOs or tactical operators it makes sense to pay a lot of attention to this. For civilians, where self-defense ranges are likely to be ten yards or less, this seems of somewhat less importance.

I guess my opinion would be to pay attention to the issue, but don't choose a less effective round just because it has less flash.