Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Atlanta Overwatch
14,097 Posts
I'm no expert, but I'll take a shot at it. Not counting the PLR16.

The 1st has a collapable stock classifying it as a rifle.

The 2nd, being a pump action means that it's designed for two handed use, which classifies it as a rifle.

The 3rd has a foward grip which makes it get classified as a rifle. Just like if you put a foregrip on any pistol, it would be classified ar a short barrel rifle.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
14,097 Posts
Re: Forward Grip on Pistols?

gunsmoker said:
Adam, who says that if you put a forward handgrip on a pistol, to facilitate a two-hand hold, you're making it a SBR? Do you have a citation to a law or a court case or some expert saying so? Lots of people have Cobray /SWD "Mac-11" pistols, and a common accessory for them is to install a vertical foregrip, usually in a set along with a barrel extension.

The federal definition of a handgun or pistol is NOT a gun that was meant to be fired with a one-handed grip, if that's what you're getting at.
I'll have to see if I can find where I read it. I think is was on the cover of a Top Glock catalog. It showed a pic of a G17 with a vertical foregrip attached to the accesory rail and asked the question of if it was legal. The answer they gave was that putting a foregrip on it, legally made it a SBR, giving it class III status.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.