What?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Inconsistency?

2. Malum Prohibitum

3. Sharky

Sharky New Member

"I've held the stick on an F-16 fighter jet. That doesn't mean I think the public ought to be flying F-16 fighter jets," Romney said. "Let the Manchester Republican Party do as it likes."

Yeah sure right whatever, let elected officials do whatever they want! NOT!!!!

I wouldnt trust that man with anything!!

4. Malum Prohibitum

Is there a law prohibiting the public from flying F-16s?

5. M249

M249 New Member

I believe, as long as it's de-militarized, it's OK. There are several Americans that own Migs, and I've even seen a few sold on eBay. I seem to recall seeing an F-18 on eBay, but you had to put it together yourself.

Trying to get one could be a bit difficult, though.

ETA: Mitt Romney is a tool. I'm so tired of Republocrats and Demicans.

6. tace

tace New Member

I have seen a fighter/trainer jet for sale before while I was in the hanger for debriefing. Obviously, it was disarmed.

Just checked, you can get a used one for as low as $330K :)

7. Malum Prohibitum

He probably does not know that they are legal.

8. Sharky

Sharky New Member

sounds like he is talking out his Arse!!!

9. moga

moga New Member

Mitt is the patron's saint of inconsistency.

As a person that lived in MA under his governorship, and a firearm owner to boot, I can tell you affirmatively that he is full of sh1t, especially when the subject of conversation is related to RKBA. He is a fierce closet anti, and unless he happens to be talking to pro-gun audience, his actions/words closely reflect his stance. Romney is the type of slimeball politician that has no compunction about getting close and personal with the Brady's of the world on one day of the week, then delivering the polar opposite message to an assembled group of pro-gun individuals on the very next day, with a toothy smile to boot. Just as long as it gets him media coverage, he's happier than a pig in mud.

Once the Boston Globe caught wind of a riff between the Governor's office and GOAL, the MA counterpart to GCO. It involved legislation that he signed, supposedly a "Target-Shooting Bill," to much fanfare that was packaged so that it seemed to support Massachusetts gun owners. It was just a photo-op, basically, to shore up his fledging GOP support after he was roundly admonished for spending more time in DC than in Boston. As time would tell, his promises of friendship to the MA gun owner never came to fruition, and people like me saw not one iota of benefit from his POS legislation. This was in July 2006. Anyway, Mitt shouted to the heaven's in the MSM that he was pro-RKBA. He even invented some story about how he's been hunting all his life to back up his claims. On closer inspection, it was discovered that he only got his first ever hunting license just before this claim was staked publically.

Now, a mere year later, he is undergone a transformation and suddenly supports an AWB? Well, well.

You can't trust this guy as far as you can throw him. Judging from the discussion being held here, it doesn't seem that his stench is difficult to pick up.

ETA: I found this story while searching through the archives of a MA shooting forum for citations that support my assertions. As a FYI, It would seem that not ONE additional gun is eligible for purchase in MA as a result of Romney's highly touted precision target bill.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Romney's record on guns questioned
    Discrepancy surfaces in N.H.

By Scott Helman, Globe Staff | April 5, 2007

Part of Mitt Romney's strategy for appealing to conservative primary voters has been to portray himself as a gun-lover, a strong defender of the Second Amendment and a sportsman himself.

But the more the presidential campaign wears on, the more questionable that portrait looks.

Romney has already been forced to acknowledge, after touting his membership in the National Rifle Association, that he joined the group less than a year ago. And after saying that he had "a gun of my own," he later conceded that he didn't personally own guns, but that one of his sons did.

Now, Romney's campaign is acknowledging that, despite his assertion that he was a longtime hunter, Romney, 60, had in fact hunted one summer as a teenager and then just once when he was in his late 50s.

The most recent discrepancy surfaced during a campaign stop this week in Keene, N.H., where Romney, according to the Associated Press, told a man in an NRA hat that he had long been a hunter.

"I purchased a gun when I was a young man," the AP quoted Romney as saying. "I've been a hunter pretty much all my life."

According to his campaign, Romney spent a summer as a 15-year-old hunting rabbits in Idaho and didn't hunt again until last year, when he attended a quail hunt in Sea Island, Ga., sponsored by the Republican Governors Association. Romney spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom said Romney had also gone shooting at other times in Utah.

"Governor Romney knows how to handle a firearm, but the reason he supports the Second Amendment is because he appreciates the Constitution and the rights enshrined in it, including the right to keep and bear arms," Fehrnstrom said by e-mail.

Romney, who has been facing persistent questions from some conservatives over his recent shifts to the right on several key issues, hardened his views on gun control as he prepared to run for president. In his 1994 Senate run, Romney supported two gun-control measures strongly opposed by the NRA: the Brady Bill, which imposed a five-day waiting period on gun sales, and a ban on certain assault weapons. When Romney ran for governor in 2002, he expressed support for the state's tough laws. "We do have tough gun laws in Massachusetts; I support them," he said. "I won't chip away at them."

But as he appeals to the conservative wing of the Republican Party, Romney's tone on guns today is notably different. He has celebrated his work as governor to ease restrictions on gun owners and expressed hope that other states would do the same. Earlier this year, he led the media around one of the country's biggest gun shows in Orlando.

Gun control is an important issue to many activists and voters in the Republican Party, particularly in key primary states such as New Hampshire and Michigan.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar...tioned?mode=PF

10. fallison

fallison New Member

How can any Republican support a canidate that served as governor in MA, elected by the same people who curse the rest of us with the likes of Teddy and John.

11. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Anything in the current DOD inventory cannot be sold to or owned by civilians. I don't have a source, but you're free to look it up on your own. :wink:

12. tace

tace New Member

So, I can have my F-14 Tomcat? I know, I know, they thrashed all of those pretty planes recently.

13. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Beretta M9

Oh, so I can't own a Beretta M9 pistol? That's current-issue and in the regular inventory of our armed forces. Oh, wait. I can't own an M9, but I can own an model 92. Oh... okay. Same gun, different stamp on the frame.

Maybe then General Dynamics is free to sell me an F -A-Teen (pronounced "ef-ay-teen") that is the same as the Hornet but only has a .308 caliber semi-auto gatling gun in front (with a 1000 round magazine) and instead of hard points for heavy ordinance it will have rails from which to drop smoke marking canisters and rails from which to launch "flash-bang" rockets designed to scare wildlife from the runways (don't want a birdie sucked into the engine, ya know).

Maybe Coke will offer one of those as a prize in a contest. Pepsi offered to give away a Harrier fighter in such a promotion several years ago. They ended up being taken to court when some people pooled their resources, won the contest, and tried to claim their prize. (Pepsi won-- this "offer" was not a contractual offer that could be accepted by the plaintiffs' actions).

14. Malum Prohibitum

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Giuliani_ ... _0727.html

"What are the Republicans in this state THINKING? Are they so desparate [sic] for money or attention that they would resort to an activity that would resound with only their most extreme right fringe?" asks Jon Marion of Manchester

15. Malum Prohibitum

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx ... 8684a3ff8f
    "City Republican leaders are steering clear of a party fundraiser that invites donors to test their marksmanship with a loaded machine gun."

"Several of the city's most prominent Republicans, including many of the party's candidates for mayor and alderman, say they will not attend the Aug. 5 event at the Pelham Fish and Game firing range."

"A few raised moral objections, saying they would not support a fundraiser that packs a pro-gun message."

"'I don't think it's an appropriate way to raise money,' said Mike Garrity, one of two Republican aldermen in Manchester."

16. Malum Prohibitum

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member