What you can do.

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by legacy38, Jul 17, 2016.

1. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

A member here asked me what they could do to help in response to all of the craziness at play these days.

I offer the following:

Get a trauma kit and learn how to use it. The very basics are a tourniquet (either a CAT or Soft-T wide), a pressure bandage, and a chest seal. There are numerous places to order them online.

I strongly encourage you to buy directly from an actual medical supplier such as Tactical Medical Solutions, North American Rescue, etc. Unfortunately, counterfeiting is running rampant, and some low quality counterfeits have made their way to places like Amazon. There have been numerous reports of the counterfeits breaking when used. The actual medical suppliers get their products directly from the manufacturer.

Do not use your actual carry tourniquet for training/practice.

Typically, the line of thought is that a person carries a kit for their own personal use. Even in a team environment, if dude-A gets hit, dude-B uses dude-A's kit to treat dude-A.

Being able to quickly treat your own wounds is actually extremely helpful in such an incident as resources are easily overwhelmed, and if you have solved part of the problem, you have helped. If you aren't hit, you could help treat someone else.

As for engaging the bad guy(s), let your conscience be your guide. Getting your loved ones out of harms way is helpful.

If you decide to engage, remember, other parties might not know that you are a good guy.

2. Smilodon

Smilodon Active Member

Thank you for the tips. I need to get more trauma and medical supplies.

3. legacy38

We formed a partnership with our local trauma center, Athens Regional Medical Center, and they funded the purchase of trauma kits for each deputy as well has hundreds of more kits that will the pre-staged in the schools.

Once we get our personnel and school personnel up to speed, we are going to begin offering training and kits to county residents.

4. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Excellent ideas.

5. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Chief Deputy Weems, this information is excellent and thanks for bringing it up.

6. mark5019

mark5019 what me worry?

Could a non county pay to attend?

7. legacy38

The reason for the in-county restriction is that I can't turn away a county resident because a non-resident took a spot in a class. I had to adopt the practice after someone, a member here actually, plastered our citizen firearm schedule all over the web and other places, and we were overrun.

There are several companies that do such training. I will soon be certified to teach basic bleeding control, but there are better offerings out there than I will initially be able to provide. (By "I", I mean my training company and not the courses offered to citizens by the SO).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  8. legacy38

Two companies that I can recommend for training are Lone Star Medics and Dark Angel Medical.

LSM just taught a class in Marietta. I met the owner at a conference at which we both taught. I was in the class in Marietta.

I have not had any first hand experience with Dark Angel, but people I trust have recommended them. They have some upcoming courses in the Atlanta area.

9. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I've been kicking around the idea of offering some sort of training. I'm certified to teach all the major alphabet soup courses and would like to put something together, for y'all.

Last time I tried to gauge interest in this there was very little.

10. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

carpe diem

11. gsusnake

ImageUploadedByGeorgia Packing1468801543.092001.jpg

12. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

How could I learn to use the kit? I would need someone who could instruct me 1 on 1.

13. gsusnake

So if I put together a kit, and a class on how to use it... Say 2-4 hours, maybe about $40 (would include the kit and contents). Basic trauma. Might even be able to throw CPR in there too.

Interest?

14. gsusnake

Sorry to hijack, Deputy Legacy.

15. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

I would take your class but I am hearing impaired and might need 1 on 1 instruction. You might get frustrated if you have to repeat things if I take it in a group.

Also, I am going to have to wait to do anything until the end of August (actually, I might be able to do this next week - it might be better to have the training before I go on my trip - even venomous snake bite 1st aid would be a plus).

And, I don't think its a hijack - you are offering a valuable service to the community and it is related to the OP.

16. legacy38

What hijack? I started a thread about getting trauma care training, and you are offering trauma care training. That's not a hijack.

The best prices I have been able to find on the tourniquets alone are in the $30 range.

17. gsusnake

Might be a little more then. I'm not out to make a whole lot of money off of folks but it would require me to take a day off, so I'd want a little for my time.

I'll take a couple weeks to source kit contents (I may be able to get a bulk price) and work on prices, then either post a thread or post it in this one.

18. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Yes. How much can be imparted in 2-4 hours?

I've frequently thought I ought to get some exposure to first aid knowledge. This looks like opportunity knocking to me.

19. Ken1961

Ken1961 Dei Gratia

I'm interested.

2-4 hrs? I was part of a basic first aid class that was stretched out to 6 weeks. lol The dean of the local Tech was doing a political friend a favor.