Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What year was the first license issued and why were they issued in the first place?
I was recently asked this question. I was unable to find the answer on here or elsewhere.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,723 Posts
iirc it was 1906 answer is in here : http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/wp-cont ... n-laws.pdf

edit its 1910
In December of 1910, a little more than 4 years after the riot, the Governor signed
a law that required a license to carry a firearm in public issued by the Ordinary
(now issued by a Probate Judge). The qualifications and method was similar to
those that disfranchised blacks two years earlier. Most importantly, there was no
requirement for the Ordinary to issue a license. In order to obtain a license,
applicants had to be:
a) at least eighteen years old or over
b) give a bond payable to the Governor of the State in the sum of one
hundred dollars,
AND c) a fee of fifty cents.68
$100 in 1910 is equivalent to over $2000 in 2007 dollars.69 In the unlikely event a
black man could post the bond, the Ordinary, who was always white since blacks
could not hold civil office, could be counted on not to issue licenses to blacks.
Not surprisingly, the first arrest under the licensing law was a black man named
Dock Carter.
(

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I knew the reason, but was way off on the year.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I was working the gun show in Gwinnett and a man came up to the table with a permit from Decalb co. in 1963 it was just green paper and listed the firearm he would be carrying. We have sure have came along way since then.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
rmodel65 said:
iirc it was 1906 answer is in here : http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/wp-cont ... n-laws.pdf

edit its 1910
In December of 1910, a little more than 4 years after the riot, the Governor signed
a law that required a license to carry a firearm in public issued by the Ordinary
(now issued by a Probate Judge). The qualifications and method was similar to
those that disfranchised blacks two years earlier. Most importantly, there was no
requirement for the Ordinary to issue a license. In order to obtain a license,
applicants had to be:
a) at least eighteen years old or over
b) give a bond payable to the Governor of the State in the sum of one
hundred dollars,
AND c) a fee of fifty cents.68
$100 in 1910 is equivalent to over $2000 in 2007 dollars.69 In the unlikely event a
black man could post the bond, the Ordinary, who was always white since blacks
could not hold civil office, could be counted on not to issue licenses to blacks.
Not surprisingly, the first arrest under the licensing law was a black man named
Dock Carter.
(
Bla, bla, bla, bla, bla.. = CONTROL. It's all about control, it always has been. Sort of a spin off of a Crowe law.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts