What Would YOU Do? Yet Another Good Reason to Have a Dashcam

Discussion in 'Citizens Encounters' started by GM404, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

A buddy sent me this video and directed me to the Reddit forum where it came from.

Basically, a car stops at a green light and the passenger gets out and approaches the victim and appears to be chambering a round in a High Point. This *might* be on the news as both Fox 5 and 11 Alive are seeking more info. The messed up thing is that if you watch the first 3 videos (linked on the Reddit post), the guy with the Dashcam did nothing that *should* have escalated to this level. The *only* thing might have been high beams?

So, if you were in the car with the dashcam, what would you do?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MmQHti4Uh0&app=desktop[/ame]

Reddit Post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Atlanta/comments/4upqir/brandished_gun_on_howell_mill_14th_should_i/

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  2. Don27

Don27 Member

intent? It appears so
    means? Yes
    opportunity? Yes

Driver had a good back stop with that brick wall.

3. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

There was room to go around on the left. I would certainly do that if I had a passenger.

If I was alone, I would probably would have run him over.

Az

4. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the same thing. With the traffic to the left, I would have gone balls to the wall to the right and smeared his ass all along the wall stopped the imminent threat.

5. Vamesq

Vamesq New Member

Immediately exit your vehicle to the left, take cover, and loudly shout out a demand for the felon to drop his weapon. If he continues to advance, or points his weapon at you, eliminate the threat, period.....

6. phaed

phaed Active Member

i think it's important to remember i don't know what i'd do til i was really in that situation. but, if i had to guess, i'd be remembering to aim just a tad high for windshield deflection.

i don't think any words would be wise here. i don't think turning your back to him to exit the vehicle is wise...that tends to make make aggressors more aggressive and takes time in a vulnerable position. i don't think driving forward (either over him or away from him) is wise until he's already got some lead in him.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  7. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

Since it was all on video.....and he approached brandishing the firearm...

I would definitely have shot him with my vehicle.

8. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

You have vehicle mounted weapons? I'm very jealous! :minigun:

Az

9. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

They come stock on the Frontiers...HAha :woohoo:

Actually...in other words...i would have ran him over. Flat!

10. bulldog 44

bulldog 44 Member

Got to go with hard right. Coming out of the car with a weapon shows intent and gives cause for deadly force. If you couldn't do that shots would have been fired. Tough situation. The guy in the car took way to long to react.

11. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

The guy on my vehicle with his hands on the mounted 50 belt fed would have shredded him.

12. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

What I saw in the video was an entitlement attitude in action. I know some people who would have shot him for sure.

13. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

I would have steered right and floored it. Anything it took to keep him from using that firearm.

14. phaed

phaed Active Member

i think trying to run him over would force him to shoot, and you're a sitting target. if ya shoot him first he may not realize what's going on until it's too late. then you can run him over when he's not likely to dodge your car. if you miss him first with your car without having shot him, you're screwed.

15. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

Shooting at him and missing because the bullet was deflected by the windshield would force him to shoot also and you are sitting in your car while he had all sorts of room too to duck, hide and shoot. If you go for the running him over option, you will at least be moving.

16. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Am I the only one who would have exited my car and shot him from in between my door and windshield the moment he stepped out with a gun? No verbal warning. No waiting to see if he means it. The moment he produced that firearm, presumably following some sort of on the road altercation, he would have sealed his own fate. The only way to escape his fate would have been immediate dropping of the gun and surrendering or headlong flight.

17. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

I know I would have felt entitled to shoot his sorry ass. pew, pew, pew..

18. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Yes, this. Besides I just had the Suburban detailed and I'm not going to shoot out my own windshield!

19. GMan45ACP

GMan45ACP New Member

I DO NOT recommend the Kommando Dash-cam at all. The first time I needed it due to a wreck was the first and only time it failed me. As long as all you are doing is capturing driving footage it does ok, but the feature that is supposed to "lock" the footage due to a collision it just erases all of the footage from that trip. Which is sad because it has a forward and rear facing camera that can pivot 180° to capture side views also, but it's unreliability to keep footage turned me against that particular camera.