What would you change about the State's Carry Laws?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by ICP_Juggalo, Aug 23, 2006.

1. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

This is pretty much an extension from a similiar thread over at highroad.org. I though I would post it here for discussion purposes. I think everyone here pretty much agrees that the laws for carrying a weapon in Georgia need vast improvement and so I will start it off with my post from highroad.org and ideas;

I'll chime in for the ol' police state of Georgia.

Georgia laws is anti-gun to the core. Probate judges has discretionary power to issue firearms license and most do not issue within the 60 day time limit, which makes GA a "may issue" even though the law says "shall issue".

The places off-limits to carry exceeds even that of the states that are either no issue or hardly ever issue.

The places off-limits are as follows;

Public Gatherings - which are athletic or sporting events, churches or church function, political rallies or functions, publicly owned or operated buildings, and establishments were alcoholic beverages are sold for cosumption on the premises. - oh and the definition of a "public gathering" is not limited to those 5 areas. The courts have rule that any event or function that the public gathers or will gather for is a public gathering too and thus off limits. Gotta love the ambiguity there!

Oh wait there is more!

Any type of public transportation and/or transportation depots, terminals, bus stops, and airports. This even inlcudes an "area in close proximity to.." the public transportation depot/terminal/stop. It gets worse - it is a felony offense if you're caught carrying a weapon in these places. If it is a private company providing public transportation or "charters" then you must have written permission from the private company to board the bus, rail vehicle, or aircraft they own with your weapon.

Still more...

Wildlife management areas. No loaded weapons allowed in vehicles even if you're just passing through on the road that just happens to cross into a WMA. During hunting seasons you can posses a loaded weapon outside your vechicle on the WMA, but it has to a weapon that is allowed to hunt for whatever particular game is in season. The silver comet trail goes through the Paulding Forest WMA, A perfect place for predators to find un-armed victims.

State Parks are off-limits. Firearms must be unloaded. Criminals trespass charge if caught carrying.

The State Capitol is off-limits, but it is also covered under the public gathering law as well.

School property and school zones are quasi carry if you have a license, but only while picking up or dropping off a student or just passing through the zone.

Within the guard lines of jails or prisons is off limits to weapons as well. In some jails this area also includes the visitor parking area - a place where no inmate will ever be or have access too. A felony offense for just having it in your car if the parking area is within the guard line.

And lastly Stone Mountain Park, which is publicly funded, but privately owned and operated, has the power to create ordinances that prohibit the possession of firearms anywhere on park property, clearly in violation of the states pre-emption law. But otherwise law-abiding folk get carted off to the clink nonetheless for Stone Mountain's illegal law.

The things I would like see changed in GA is;

The places off-limits narrowed down to just "secured areas" of public buildings and transportation terminals. Keep the guard line law for jails and prisons, but the guard line has to be established to where inmates commonly are and will be and not in areas were there will not be any(parking lots).

Change the Georgia Firearms License to a Gerogia Concealed Weapon and Firearms License. Openly carrying of non-pistol type weapons is ok without a permit. It makes no sense that one has a license to carry openly or concealed a firearm, but prohibited from carrying a concealed knife, bludgeon, ect while licesned to carry a firearm as well.

And Lastly,

Take the issuance of firearms licenses away from probate judges and give it to another department of government that is more competent with the laws of the state and will adhere to "shall issue"

There, I am off the bitchbox for now

Georgia Packing dot ORG - Fighting the good fight!

2. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I think we can all agree on changing the "Public Gathering" to something more specific, and preferably not as limiting.

I for one would like no restrictions in National Forests, including those tracts that are in Wildlife Management Area's.

Having Rangers warn me about bears in the campground when I'm camping with my 8, 12, and 13 year old sons is what got me interested in a firearm license to begin with (I've since expanded my reasons).

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I would chage all of it.
    Assuming I have to limit myself to a system that has a license and not like Vermont...
    The big ones are
    • The problems with the probate courts taking too long and not following the laws(fines for judges/clerks)[/*:m:2hc8g7je]
    • An emergency new applicant license so you don't have to wait (to be issued when getting a restraining order... etc)[/*:m:2hc8g7je]
    • Public Gatherings gone[/*:m:2hc8g7je]
    • Make only felons or those facing those charges be the ones denied (a misdemeanor conviction for pot 25 years ago should not be a reason for denial)[/*:m:2hc8g7je]
    • remove the "good moral character" crap[/*:m:2hc8g7je]
    • Accept any valid permit issued by another state is valid in GA[/*:m:2hc8g7je]
    • remove the fingerprint check from renewals[/*:m:2hc8g7je]
    • 60 days to issue, period[/*:m:2hc8g7je]

I could go on and on but that is a good start.

4. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

"Those facing charges": I know that, in order for the GFL to qualify as an alternative to the NICS check, the GFL can't be issued to someone prohibited from buying a gun under federal law. This includes people under indictment for a felony.

But, I don't believe this is just at either the state or federal level. The government should not be taking any action against someone accused of a felony not directly and necessarily related to the criminal proceeding. I believe that depriving accused (but not convicted) felons of the right to buy or carry a firearm is a violation of the presumption of innocence.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Are we to answer with our dream laws or reality?

Dream laws - I can carry anywhere I wish, openly or concealed, unless I am actually under arrest, even into a courtroom or onto an airplane, without any interference from the goverment (or its overzealous agents).

Pragmatist answer - Colorado style law. I could definitely live with that.

For now, I would just like to get the local governments to quit violating the laws we already have (60 day issuing, temporary license on renewal, placing local parks off limits, granting themselves the power to ban the sale or transport of weapons during an "emergency")

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Yeah, I was actually thinking more of violent felonies than say an insider trading and other victimless crimes.

7. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

If the person accused of a violent felony makes bail in the first place, the judge can make, as a condition of bail, that the person not acquire a firearm or GFL. But, an accross the board federal prohibition against Martha Stewart buying a shotgun while her case was pending (before her conviction) neither makes sense nor, in my opinion, passes constitutional muster.

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Actually I forgot that Martha was convicted of lying and not for insider trading.
    I do agree that the judge makeing it part of bail is much better than just a general prohibition even for violent felony charges.

9. merlock

merlock New Member

If I couldn't do away with all of it, my top changes would be:

1. Sporting/Athletic events. My family is big on slo-pitch softball, and play in tournaments in Macon's Central City Park. Sometimes tourney's go till past midnight, and that park is not in the best part of Macon (if there even is a best part :shock: ) Even in Warner Robins, the ball parks are in some pretty unsavory places. :evil:

2. Alcohol. I can live with banning in bars. But I can't go to Outback or Cheddars, etc. A possible compromise: OK if establishment's alcohol sales are less than 51% of total.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Well, if I had to pick just one -

Public buildings.

What an insult to be forced to pay for them at the point of a gun and then disarmed when visiting them under threat of arrest at the point of a gun.

Kind of a double insult.

11. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I've noticed something odd about restaurants that serve alcohol. I seem to become really forgetful right before I begin travelling to them. The effect seems to wear off immediately after I have left the premises, though. Odd...

12. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

This is a common affliction.

We should start a support group.

13. Malum Prohibitum

A support group that can be surveilled and blackmailed? No thanks. While I do have sympathy for civil disobedience linked to asinine laws, I think one should be hesitant about confessing to it in a public forum or, worse, making it the point of a group.

That is a group that can be taken down any time the government wants.

A lot of good you will be able to do Changing The Law (the topic of this thread) with your criminal convictions (gun crimes, no less!).

"Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with."

Ayn Rand, 'Atlas Shrugged' 1957

:-k

:-$

:D

14. willy.45

willy.45 New Member

+1 .....it creates parking lots full of guns. :-k

15. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

I'd do the following:

* Do away with prohibited places, period. If it's legal federally, it should be legal in state law.

* Do away with the Public Gatherings restriction.

* Make it a misdemeanor to drink alcohol or take illegal drugs while carrying a firearm (because some things just don't mix, and this will make it easier to pass the removal of the "alcohol for consumption on the premises" restriction).

I really hate that the cobbled together carry law in GA makes every permit holder an unintentional, habitual criminal (and in some cases, felon). This has got to change! Are there any bills in the legislature right now to fix these problems? If not, why are our representatives asleep at the switch?!?

16. 1911packer

1911packer New Member

Insert the following line in every law that prohibits carry: "This law shall not apply to persons holding a current Georgia Firearms License."

OR

"Any Georgia citizen who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm may carry a handgun, concealed or open, anywhere he wishes. All laws to the contrary do not apply."

17. Malum Prohibitum

This is GCO's top priority for the 20087 legislative session.

18. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

But that's 18079 years from now! What are we supposed to do until then?

19. 1911packer

1911packer New Member

What will it matter? You're a college student, aren't you? :wink:

20. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Twiddle your thumbs?