Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Like a Boss
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our house is on a cul de sac at the end of our neighborhood, about ½ mile from the entrance off the main road. In other words no one's coming all the way to our house unless they're lost or mean to come here.

A few minutes ago my wife and I were at the end of our driveway playing with our two young daughters when a car pulled around the cul de sac. It had a paper temporary tag from Illinois and there were two adult men in the front seats.

When they got to us, the man in the passenger seat rolled down his window and asked me "Do you want to sell your [make of car in our driveway]?" I said no. He said something about his son wanting a [model similar to but not the same as mine] and they left.

I know they're not driving around randomly looking for a car to buy, and whatever they were up to is probably trouble, but what were they doing?

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,694 Posts
Maybe casing houses for burgulary?

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
One of my local sanitation workers has made a similar offer on my vehicle and I've a friend whose local postal worker has done similar. If you have a concern, just make a note of date/time/make/model/any interesting features should something come up in the next 2 weeks. Some people figure there is no harm in just asking. I've heard good deals can be found if "no" is the answer only 99% of the time.

·
Just a Man
6,065 Posts
I'm pretty suspicious of random cars with paper tags just driving around through residential neighborhoods. Our neighborhood has had a rash of home break ins in the middle of the day when they think everyone is at work and school. On three occasions the bad guys used stolen cars with stolen paper tags to get to the house and get away, later to be ditched somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I live on a cal de sac myself. There are two homes on the street, mine and the house behind me. The rest of the lots on the cal de sac were never built on (something about the septic tanks not perking). A couple of nights ago I went out back to let my dog in and noticed two unfamiliar vehicles parked in the street. I came back in and got my blow torch of a flashlight (Fenix TK30) which is pretty close to what a cop car spot light can put out. I went back out and lit them up and immediately heard "We're just talking, we're leaving". To which I responded "That's probably a good idea". I then see a female exit the second car and head for the other car. No telling what they were really doing. Myself and my neighbor have run more than a few people off that were parked there at night.

One night a few years ago I came home late and there was a vehicle parked directly across the street from my driveway. I pulled up into my garage, grabbed my flashlight from the glove box and headed towards the car with my hand on my concealed pistol. When I got close to the car I lit him up with my light at which point I heard "I'm with PD, I'm with PD". I talked to the guy who displayed a Gwinnett County PD badge that was hung around his neck. I explained that we get kids parking down there all the time littering and doing lord knows what. He told me that there would be another vehicle parked nearby later which would also be an unmarked police car and that they were surveilling a home nearby. A week or so later they busted a meth house a street or two over and they had been watching vehicles going to and from that house.

You never know who is doing what.

·
I watch the watchers
12,885 Posts
It's definitely in the "keep a weather eye out" category.
That said, I know two people that have seen cars while out driving (not down a cul de sac admittedly) and stopped to make offers on cars they saw. One was a '62 convertible Corvette and the other was a Lotus Europa that was covered with a tarp but the silhouette was unmistakable (I was there for that one.)

·
Like a Boss
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apparently my wife and the neighbors saw three or four different cars of a variety of makes and models drive around our cul de sac this afternoon. Slowly, but no one stopped and no one caught any tag numbers. We've heard that people have been driving around this area to case houses and there was a breakin in the neighborhood a couple months ago.

The car in the driveway would have appeal to a very specific niche of car guys if they looked closely, but the guy didn't talk the way he would have if he were an enthusiast of that specific niche. To anyone else it would be an old car with a blue book value of maybe $2k and of which there are probably dozens for sale at $2k on Craigslist in Atlanta.

I'm inclined to think that we have some folks looking around our neighborhood to "hit a sweet lick", which I heard from one of my warehouse employees is slang for finding a vulnerable and valuable target for theft. We'll keep an eye out and do better at noting tag numbers. We have cameras and a comprehensive security system, and all door jambs are reinforced. If someone tries to come in and manages to get past that...well, y'all know.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Apparently my wife and the neighbors saw three or four different cars of a variety of makes and models drive around our cul de sac this afternoon. Slowly, but no one stopped and no one caught any tag numbers. We've heard that people have been driving around this area to case houses and there was a breakin in the neighborhood a couple months ago.

The car in the driveway would have appeal to a very specific niche of car guys if they looked closely, but the guy didn't talk the way he would have if he were an enthusiast of that specific niche. To anyone else it would be an old car with a blue book value of maybe $2k and of which there are probably dozens for sale at $2k on Craigslist in Atlanta.

I'm inclined to think that we have some folks looking around our neighborhood to "hit a sweet lick", which I heard from one of my warehouse employees is slang for finding a vulnerable and valuable target for theft. We'll keep an eye out and do better at noting tag numbers. We have cameras and a comprehensive security system, and all door jambs are reinforced. If someone tries to come in and manages to get past that...well, y'all know.
off topic, but how did you reinforce the doors? we used 3" screws for the locks when we changed them,is there anything else to do?

·
Like a Boss
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
off topic, but how did you reinforce the doors? we used 3" screws for the locks when we changed them,is there anything else to do?
http://armorconcepts.com/Door-Jamb-Armor/

I have these on all my exterior doors, and we replaced all the locks and hinges when we moved in. They have videos on the site showing that even a police battering ram takes forever to get through, and the door actually fails before the jamb does. Fairly inexpensive for the peace of mind, and a pretty straightforward DIY install if you have a power drill.

·
Like a Boss
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
I put 5' long plates of 1/8" 316 stainless on my jambs with some long stainless deck screws then replaced about half the hinge screws with similar deck screws.

I've still got the CAD file of the jamb around somewhere if anybody wants it. I sent it to a waterjet place maybe a decade back and I think it ran me $100 for the pair. I countersunk the screw holes myself and touched up the edges with a file.

I have no doubt some burly men with a battering ram could eventually destroy one of my doors. It just won't be fast and it will wake all my neighbors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts