Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
The WikiArms AmmoEngine app can be useful for hunting down ammo (if you use an iPhone... not sure if they have it for Android). The app has its glitches and can be slow to update, but it does winnow the retail field.

Part of the reason I like 9mm Glocks during ammo shortages is that they are very forgiving of "the cheap stuff". You can blow through 1000 cheap, steel case Russian rounds with no problem ;)

DH

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
The WikiArms AmmoEngine app can be useful for hunting down ammo (if you use an iPhone... not sure if they have it for Android). The app has its glitches and can be slow to update, but it does winnow the retail field.

Part of the reason I like 9mm Glocks during ammo shortages is that they are very forgiving of "the cheap stuff". You can blow through 1000 cheap, steel case Russian rounds with no problem ;)

DH
I agree, they will shoot anything but where can you find any of that for a reasonable price at this point in time ? I usually shoot 115 grain Winchester white box for range ammo at about 18 or 19 cents a round. But now I can't find that at any price.

I assume you are talking about TulAmmo but I usually buy bulk from Targetsports.com and they do not even have any of it.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
TulAmmo is all sold out, but *right now* I'm seeing Federal Champion Training ammo (9mm, 115gr) for $0.20/round at Cabela's and Bass Pro.

Check out the list here (it makes it easy): https://www.wikiarms.com/group/9mm

DH
Thanks for the post

The two Champions that show in stock are aluminum casings, so I will pass. the other two that show in stock on the list show out of stock when you go to the individual item.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
So.... I’m sure to draw fire for this comment but - how many of the high count ammo stockers here have set aside money for investment in mindset, tactics, skill....? knowing how to shoot a gun and how to fight with a gun are two distinct skills. All that ammo doesn’t amount to a lot without training in my opinion. Also for many - proper training (teaching you what and how to practice) would mitigate the need for thousands upon thousands upon thousands of rounds.

Just a suspicion, but I suspect many at GPDO could do well to sell a rifle or two or a box of ammo or two and pay for a training class.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
I come here for superior medical, legal, and behavior advice.
Keep it coming !

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a former USArmy and civilian LEO. I would stock a mix of ball and defense rounds for all your firearms. You can get good ball rounds in the cheap and a ball round is better than a sharp stick any day. Also don’t be afraid of bird shot for your shotgun. I use number 8 hunting loads for my first two rounds followed up by 6 rounds of steel BB in the tube of my mossy 500. I also have a side saddle holder with 6 rounds of 00 buckshot and 5 rounds of Rottweiler slugs on an m clip holder on my folding stock. That’s 17 rounds on the 500. Remember most in home shootings are 15 feet or less and birdshot offers less chance of hitting a family member if you have flyers and you hit drywall.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Also for many - proper training (teaching you what and how to practice) would mitigate the need for thousands upon thousands upon thousands of rounds.
I'm sure training is a good idea, but many people just like to shoot often in a non tactical manner and that requires having enough ammo to get through the panic buying times.

·
Registered
985 Posts
But that’s not what the OP put forth — this was ammo for a so called “SHTF scenario” - thus implying ammo for engagements of a personal protection nature - hence the training comment.

I’ve been amazed over the years the aversion to training that exists in general on GPDO. God forbid there be instructors out there who want everyone to be safe.

Dry practice matters and effectively doing it helps in the ammo consumption department when ammo times are hard.

I’ll not go back and forth but the point is — folks should when thinking about SHTF consider all the associated stuff (like training) with the ammo and not just focus on the ammo. Lots of ways to put holes in people, how many ways to plug them? Anyone have a thousand tourniquets? :)

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
Also for many - proper training (teaching you what and how to practice) would mitigate the need for thousands upon thousands upon thousands of rounds.
I have no aversion to good training but there's just something intrinsic about having a crap ton of ammo at your disposal.

"Quantity has a quality all its own." - thanks to Stalin, von Clausewitz, Brezhnev or whoever actually said it.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have no aversion to good training but there's just something intrinsic about having a crap ton of ammo at your disposal.
No argument there. I just sense too many think that's all it takes to be truly prepared.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Anything that goes "bang" beats "click"

Reactions: Bkite

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
If looters decide to come to the burbs, I am going to make punji stick booby traps in my front yard and back yard. Maybe a couple of cartridge traps and a bamboo whip. That might frighten enough to stay away from my little ones. If that doesn't deter them, I know of an aimbot app used for cheating on CoD that can be rigged to a very real air powered gun that shoots lead fishing weights ...anything that moves will be hit with a lead weight being expelled at 4000 psi. I can set it up similar to the "Death Blossom" button from The Last Starfighter ...

That's if ammo runs out - and these are just some ideas I am thinking about ...I should probably tell a few trusted neighbors about the punji stick traps .. I don't want the kiddos getting impaled ...

/sarcasm .../not sarcasm?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Ok so you have ammo to feed your weapon(s), do you have enough food to feed yourself and your family for at least a month and method(s) to filter water? A method to produce light if the power grid goes down?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Do you have enough hands with guns in them?

·
69,784 Posts
SHTF scenario will not be like the movies. It will be like Argentina, or Venezuela, or, oh, I dunno, Atlanta.

It will be accompanied by economic disruption and overreaching government and crimes that are ignored . . . but your exercise of self defense will NOT be ignored if it comes to the attention of the authorities, as we are seeing not only in Atlanta, but nationwide.

So stock up on that ammo, but expect to see a lot of grey concrete walls and steel doors if you use any of it.

Reactions: GM404
21 - 40 of 61 Posts