What to get for a HD shotgun?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by budder, Aug 20, 2007.

1. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I've been researching this for several years and pretty much got it narrowed down to an 870P or a 590 A1. But recently, I've been lusting after a coach gun, even if I have to get a bottom-end Stoeger. I know it's not really feasible for anything other than cowboy action shooting (which I'm not really interested in), but I want one.

Assuming that I will eventually have both, what do you think I should do?

2. erk

erk New Member

Marine , thankyou w. 18inch ,very nice.

3. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

Utility first, toys second.
    And third.
    And...

4. budder

The police version has the longer mag tube and is supposed to be built better. And, since Atlanta's not near the ocean and I never go to Lanier, the marine-ness wouldn't be useful.

Also,
    - Jeff Cooper's Commentaries, Vol. 2, No. 3

- Jeff Cooper, February 1990

5. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Coach guns are really, really cool. But you're looking at two shots max. That's not enough for a practical HD gun. Sure, it will work, but it's apples and oranges compared to a pump or semi.

IMHO, I think the 590 is your best bet as an HD gun. Rugged, reliable, short, stronger parts than your normal mossy 500. I think the 870 will give you more options if you want to do something else with it. The 870 is more versatile. They are both fantastic.

Personally I plan on going with something like a short barrelled Saiga 12ga.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=78678083

I'm still waiting on my first stamp in my collection. That may be the next :D

6. AeroShooter

AeroShooter New Member

Beneilli Nova Tactical... with magazine extension.

7. budder

I can't stand the Nova. It feels cheap and plasticky in a way that makes Glocks sound like a good idea.

8. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

I just might have to look into a nova. Italian made and makes Glocks sound like a good idea. A man couldn't ask for too much more! :lol:

9. Bulldawg182

10. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

You gotta love the sound of the mossy 590 pump but the mossy 930 tactical or the benelli m4 are some pretty nice shotguns. I would have to go with the 930 as I can buy one of those and an AR with the money left over (plus ammo for both).

11. budder

Well, I like the SPX more, but they retail for ~500. I was hoping for something closer to half that price.

12. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

If you want to save some cash get a 500 bantam in 12ga. It has a short stock and barrel and still has that satisfying 500 pump mechanism and the price is about $300. If you want more than that then save your money.

13. Bulldawg182

A couple months ago I was facing the same question and couldn't decide between the 870 Police Magnum (the gun that most recommend), the Mossie 930 Tactical and the 870 Marine Magnum. I couldn't help but think that just about any decent, dependable 12 ga pump could be bought inexpensively (even used) and modified to be a perfect home defense shotgun. You can buy a good used mossie for $150, have the barrel cut down to 18", change the stock to whatever you prefer for next to nothing and have a great shortie. I don't like the idea of a coach gun because of the 2 shot capacity. In the event you'd ever need it, you'd simply want more at your disposal.

I went with the 870 Marine only because it'll be around and rust free long after I'm gone and my kids can pass it to their kids. Ya don't have to live by the salt water to enjoy it's attributes. Still, I second guess my decision often and still long for that 930!!!! :roll:

14. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

HD shotgun choice: Nothing else comes to mind other than a Mossberg 500.

The new Just In Case (JIC) models are friggin cool !!! And cheap. Tacti-cool accessories for the Mossberg 500 can be found everywhere and anywhere.

The blued version is lI think ess than $300 (which includes all the accessories, survival kit, etc), and even the Marine one (with Marinecote and a leatherman-esque multi-tool + knife) is less than $400.

http://mossberg.com/products/default.as ... n=products

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Need I say more ?????????

15. budder

It doesn't have a stock.

For those of you that have the 870, how do you like the safety? That's the only real benefit I can see from the 590 to the 870. The 870's safety is retarded.

16. Bulldawg182

I agree that the Mossie JIC is cool looking, I'm not so sure it would be much fun shooting it with only the pistol grip. It doesn't take more than a few shots to realize that shotguns have stocks for a reason! :wink:

17. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

I own an 870 and have never had a problem with the safety. What about it puts you off?

18. Bulldawg182

Same here. I have owned several 870s for bird hunting over the years and now the Marine for HD and never had any problem with the safeties.

I call, "OPERATOR ERROR" on Budder! :lol: :roll:

19. budder

I've never had a problem, either, but the Mossberg's safety is located on top and is easy to manipulate (push forward). Pushing the little 870 safety would be a bit harder in a "someone's gonna get shot" situation. Of course, I could always have it with an empty chamber and safety off, but then I have to worry more about the magazine spring. Another benefit to the coach guns :p

20. Bulldawg182

I dunno, budder.....gotta disagree with you on this one. 870s with their safeties have been responsible for the deaths of millions and millions of quail, pheasants, ducks & rabbits over the years and there's no way a BG is faster or more startling than any of them. I have a Remmington O/U that I use these days for birds and it has the thumb safety on top and I find I'm no faster or slower with it than I am with the index safety.

Don't let the location of the safety be a factor in your decision, IMHO.