what to do with a worn out pistol?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Darklock, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Darklock

Darklock Member

I have an old cheap Charter Arms Off Duty 38 special that is in far from pristine condition. I picked this thing up quite a few years ago when I was going on a motorcycle camping trip out to New Mexico. I was going to be going into a military installation where firearms were definitely off limits, but seeing as I would be camping so close to the Mexican border, I did not want to be unarmed. My solution was to hide the pistol out in the desert at my campsite before hitting the post. I did not want to take a chance of loosing anything nice, so I picked up this pistol.

Biggest issue is the cylinder has a fair amount of play, front to back. Has gouges on the muzzle from what I assume was it being dropped at sometime in its life. Finish chipping from trigger guard. In my opinion it is not worth repairing. So the question is what to do with it.

POPATOP67 likes this.
  2. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 2

Put it on your bedside table. Throw it at someone if someone tries to break into your home. That may suffice as a deterrent if coupled with a loud enough scream.

UtiPossidetis likes this.

3. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Dont Forget wild arm flailing!

Bkite likes this.
  4. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Wait for a "buy back" might get 50-100 for it

jlw253, MSgt G and magnum1b like this.
  5. Darklock

Darklock Member

That was my first thought. But they haven't had any around here.

6. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

You can always take it to most gun shops and have them destroy it and submit the paperwork to the ATF. Or just hang on to it and hold out for a buy back.

7. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Let me check on FFL charge to get it. Then we would have a haggle to do.

Nemo

8. OldWoreOutMarine

OldWoreOutMarine Active Member

Perhaps give a Hard Left Liberal an Enema with it so that it will have lived a useful life.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Keep it as a throw down pistol in case of a bad shoot.

Wheedle, Archangel, mark5019 and 4 others like this.
  10. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

Is it reliable?
    Go BANG every time, in double action mode?

I say fill it with CCI .38 shotshells and make it your dedicated snake killing gun.

Even if you aren’t sure it’s safe to shoot with full power ammo with conventional bullets, it may still be good to shoot blanks, plastic-bullet training rounds (powered by a primer only), and shot-capsule loads.

Scout706 likes this.
  11. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Better than a BB gun......

magnum1b likes this.
  12. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

If it is functional, I'd keep it as a project gun. Learn how to disassemble it and put it back together, polish or re-blue the finish. If you're at the point of just getting rid of it, you can't really hurt it. As long as you don't do anything to make it unsafe.

13. Darklock

Darklock Member

As far as is it safe to shoot. My daughter said last time I shot it she saw "sparks" coming from he rear of the cylinder. That worries me somewhat.
    I have always had an understanding with snakes. They don't bother me , I don't bother them.

14. Nemo

See quote from above by me.

For the next few days or so, do nothing. You might have a sale negotiation to enter.

Nemo

15. Darklock

Darklock Member

what part of the state are you? I'm in barrow county.

16. Nemo

I am in Virginia. One of the FFLs here should take it straight from you to me, with you shipping machine parts via UPS or one of the similar.

I am working on that now.

Nemo

17. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I think it would be really cool to take a real revolver, load it with some wide-mouth copper-jacketed hollowpoints (the kind that really show up nicely when the cylinder is viewed from the front), with the ammo in bright nickle-plated cases (again, so everbody can easily see the gun's loaded) and ENCASE THE GUN in a block of clear acrylic.

If you're really bold, COCK IT FIRST. Hammer poised back over a live round!
    Once that acrylic sets up and hardens, it will be safe. No way that hammer will fall, and *if* the round somehow detonated, the entire cube would burst open rather than have the bullet fly out the barrel.

See this pic of a chunk of rock or metal or whatever, encased in such a cube:
    Mineral acrylic cube.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  18. Nemo

If you want to do that, pull the bullet and dump the powder and remove the primer. At least on the one under the hammer.

Nemo

19. wallacem

wallacem Member

I will tell you a story that happened to me and you can think about doing the same thing. I bought a Colt 1911 45acp several years ago from an individual. Upon shooting it I found it had a trigger that had been worked on and would fire auto, several shots sometimes. The individual would not take it back so I called Colt and sent it to them for repair. they called me after looking at it and wanted to charge me an unrealistic price to fix it so I refused and asked them to just send it back to me. they said they could not do that so they would fix it and send it to me. I was stunned, but then realized they could not return a gun in unsafe condition, so they fixed it free. Wallacem in Ga

20. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

And some have mentioned, if you have the time in the inclination, restore it and you'll learn something about Gunsmithing even if you destroy it, which probably isn't likely

POPATOP67 likes this.