What to do after a shooting.

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by futureusr, Jan 16, 2011.

1. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

As requested in another post... and edited based on input from the forum.

#1 scan the area and ensure there are no other immediate threats including the criminal.
    #2 re-holster your firearm.
    #3 have someone else call 911 if at all possible. If you call 911 make no statements except the location to respond even if pressed for further information.
    #4 if the criminal is not outright deceased from your defensive action and you feel it is safe depending on the circumstances at hand then attempt to render aid to the criminal who threatened your life.
    #5 follow all direction from responding authorities.
    #6 make no statements to anyone.
    #7 call your lawyer.

Feel free to modify as seen fit or disagree entirely.

2. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

3. blackbirdzach

blackbirdzach New Member

Scratch off #4 and #6. I'll be collecting witnesses and stories before the police arrive to make sure we all agree on what happened. I do the same thing when I'm involved in or witness a car accident.

From part of my post in a thread about this earlier...

Always, ALWAYS, tell dispatch who you are, what you look like, what you're wearing, and where the gun is. Make sure you tell the first officer on the scene who you are when he/she arrives. And for god sake, do NOT reach for your weapon to give it to the officer(s) on the scene. If they want it, and they will, let THEM remove it from your body.

4. D3R3K

D3R3K New Member

Good advice! You definitely don't want them arriving on the scene and mistaking you for a threat!

5. kineticmind

kineticmind يفخر الكافر

It would be very difficult to administer CPR/first aid to someone who just gave you a reason to shoot them, but I have to admit I would if I thought there was a chance it would do any good.

6. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

The reasoning for rendering first aid to the criminal that just threatened your life is two fold.

1. It is the humane and correct thing to do as the criminal is no longer a threat.
    2. It goes a long way with a jury to show you are not some hot headed, fire breathing, gun totting maniac who was just waiting for an opportunity to kill someone.

Our military provides medical and humane assistance to wounded enemy combatants as well because we are better than the enemy. It is a hot subject tho I would imagine.

A more jaded type of person may consider rendering "first aid" to the criminal with his hands around their throat or perhaps just going through the motions of rendering aid without actually doing anything. To each their own.

7. kineticmind

kineticmind يفخر الكافر

#1 would be my primary reasoning behind trying to help; if he's in need of first aid, then he's no longer posing a threat to me or anyone else. Hopefully I'll never face that situation, but if I do, I'd sleep easier knowing I saved the person's life... or at least made an attempt to.

8. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

A simple auto accident and a trial for homicide are two completely different situations. I would not want to be portrayed by the prosecution as attempting to influence witnesses immediately after I had shot someone.

I agree that providing your physical description to 911 as the victim who had to defend themselves when you are calling for emergency aid to the criminal would be a smart move.

9. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

Good man, If this site had +rep it would be coming your way.

10. seereus

seereus Active Member

Unless I'm mistaken, EMTs do not give any aid unless an officer is at the scene, when it comes to a shooting.

For the safety of the EMTs if I'm not mistaken.

I think I would still be in fear of being harmed, and have to wait on the LEOs to arrive.

11. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

That is a reasonable response IMO. I would hope you have the opportunity to articulate that reasoning at a trial.

12. seereus

seereus Active Member

I think rendering aid to a person that just tried to kill you will get you killed, or you will find yourself having your actions used against you in court.

911, shooting, need an ambulance.... aid rendered to the best of my ability. Would hate to be later accused by the thug of practicing medicine without a license, or harming him/her further by trying to help.

13. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

I think that it is far more likely the criminal and the prosecution would use your deference to render aid against you. You will not be charged by anyone with practicing medicine without a license. Emergency first aid is not the practice of medicine. Many states, including GA, have good Samaritan laws that provide a defense to such a charge in a civil case. Some states have laws that require you to assist those in need of aid if you have the ability.

Your first argument that you were still in fear for your life will go much further provided you have the opportunity to present it.

http://georgiamalpractice.com/code-goodsamlaws.htm

14. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

This! Why put yourself at risk, until LEOs are on scene? That's just stupid. You're going to holster your weapon, and then put it within reach of somebody who might not be in as bad a shape as you think they are? :screwy: Suddenly, you're overpowered by the person who attacked you in the first place, only you may lose this fight! Don't even think about it! Compound the risk with the fact that you don't know the risk of HIV and other diseases. Does everyone keep rubber gloves in their pocket?

Call me jaded, but I'm retired from health care and I'm not touching the SOB. First of all, I would have kept shooting until the threat was neutralized. To me, that's two shots center mass, and one between the eyes! "Gosh officer! I didn't realize I was such a great shot!" When I draw and aim, I'm intent on ending an assailants life. DRT!

15. Swamper

Swamper Member

Agree with CountryGun regarding the end of the post. Try to avoid drawing if possible. If you must draw, use that weapon effectively.

:oldtimer:

16. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

Statements to effect of I was intent on ending the assailants life would not be wise IMO. I was intent on ending the threat perhaps. I dunno. It will be your trial and you can do as you like. This would not be my course of action.

As I am prepared with a knife, light, firearm and cell phone it is also perhaps a good choice to carry some latex or neoprene gloves as I do. They take up less room than any of the other items in my EDC list. You never know where, when or to whom you may need to render assistance. It may not always be a criminal. Traffic accidents and old ladies falling in the street are far more likely.

I carry in a level 2 retention holster or pocket carry and I think it would be difficult for a criminal that I had just shot to overpower me and gain control of my weapon. It is a possibility tho I will grant and something I will have to consider should the situation arise.

17. seereus

seereus Active Member

Future news:

Futureusr was shot and killed today whilst rending aid to the person whom had just fire upon him.

Futureusr having been robbed at gunpoint removed his sidearm and fired once in the assailants chest.

While rendering aid to the assailant, the assailant removed a backup gun from his pocket and shot his would be savior to death.

When questioned about the incident Futureusr had no response.

His family did however point out how kind and loving he was.

18. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

That would indeed suck!

I think some are taking my opinions personally. No need, they are just opinions. They are as valid as any other opinion. I accept that you disagree. thats cool.

19. jmathis84

jmathis84 New Member

The only aid I plan on rendering is to my self and my family. If i have to pull my firearm thats rendering aid to my family.I could give 2 :cantsay: about the guy i shot.

20. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I doubt there's another member on this forum who would shoot to wound an assailant. The decision to draw on an assailant is not something anyone takes lightly, but you can bet we all train to kill anyone bent on harming us, our family, or citizens nearby. We take this seriously. You, Grasshopper, have a lot to learn. Take that, from a combat vet who knows how to kill.