What to buy next

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Whasat, May 29, 2005.

1. Whasat

Whasat New Member

I'm rather new to owning handguns, bought first one early this year. I now have two, a G22 Glock .40 S&W full size frame and a Phoenix Arms .22 caliber pistol. I know the Phoenix is cheap, it was just bought to give my gf something to shoot as the .40 hurts her wrist after a clip or 2. Want to get something to carry, as of right now its to glock which kinda limits the ways in which i can conceal it. but it can be done. I have been thinking about maybe a mid or compact frame glock .357 sig. Anyone have any other suggestions on a good carry gun that will be eaiser to conceal than the G22

2. ber950

ber950 Active Member

G27

The simple answer is a Glock 27. You like Glocks. The 27 is the same caliber and if I remember correctly you can use the G22 mags as spares. Go to the range and rent one.

3. Whasat

Whasat New Member

.357 Glock

Thought about the smaller .40 Glocks, but don't know if I want that much recoil packed into that small of a frame. I have read that the .357 Glocks offer just as much and even better performance with some rounds that the .40 and offers less energy transer to the shooter. If anyone has had any experience with a .357 Glock I would like to hear about it.

Also where is a good place to buy Glocks at here in GA. Bought my frist from Gold Nugget here in Carrollton and thought they were a little pricey at $575, but I could be wrong. I have seen them around the internet for as little as $480 new though. Any suggestions

4. ber950

ber950 Active Member

About Right

The price sounds about right. I only recomended the Glock because of simularity and caliber. If you don't mind adding a different ca. then the possibilities are endless.

My hear the there is very little recoil difference in .40 & .357 Sig. Basic phyisics apply. Find a good range and rent several weapons till you find what you like. Better yet take some friends and try there hand guns.

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Smaller Handgun

I like the "baby Glock" in 9mm. I rented both the 9mm and .40 one day and shot them side-by-side on the range, and while both of them felt good, the 9mm felt BETTER because of the lesser recoil. I also felt more comfortable doing double-tap drills with it. It's faster to shoot. That would be one of my top choices for a major-caliber sub-compact defensive gun.

The other would be a Kahr. They're slim, and very concealable. And the triggers are just like the Glocks, which is to say much shorter and lighter than a Kel-Tec trigger.

Finally, since your girlfriend is doing some shooting, might she want to have a defensive handgun around for her protection? If so, how about getting a gun that is small enough for either one of you to carry, but with low enough recoil that she could comfortably handle it in rapid fire situations? Maybe a Bersa .380, a Walther PPK in stainless, or some variation of the Makarov pistol? Or even a .38 special, small frame, but with a 3" barrel and high-viz sights?

6. Whasat

Whasat New Member

Quality??

About the above mentioned firearms. Are the Kahr, Bersa, Makarov, and Walther PPK all good quality firearms. I don't mean to sound dumb asking, only ignorant. I do not have a very extensive background with firearms, so I don't really know a quality name when I see one. Thinking about checking out some stores tomorrow, maybe find a good used one this time instead of buying brand new. Think buying new gun might be like buying new car, may not be worth the sometimes double price you pay for new compared to slightly used????

7. Whasat

Whasat New Member

AR

:lol: AR, that would be fun.......but I think I would have a bit harder time concealing that than I would my G22. Maybe if I get and in pants leg holster and walk very stiff legged no one will notice :D

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

:shock: I don't think an AR is what the General Assembly meant when they said "concealable firearm".

Though I would probably laugh myself silly watching someone walking stiff legged and then attempting to pull out an AR from their pants leg.

9. johnpeace

johnpeace New Member

I'm not a glock man myself, but do believe in finding a platform and sticking with it. It makes training and conditioning autonomic responses much easier if you always hold the 'same' gun.

I've put a lot of rounds through the sub-compact .40 and .45ACP glocks and didn't find the recoil at all unmanageable. Even with the .45, I was dead-on accurate out to 25-30' (this was at IPSC matches...so fairly rapid fire and shooting on the move) and I'm not even that good a shot.

Go rent one and shoot the .40 and see what you think.

I guess I've just always seen .357sig as one of those excessively expensive boutique rounds that I couldn't afford to train with. Maybe you reload or are rich and this isnt' an issue for you. To be honest, I didn't perceive a recoil/accuracy difference between the .40, .45ACP and .357sig...they all shot well.

10. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

Bersa in 380

I hve a Bersa Thunder in 380 I use as a BUG. I have about 4,000 rounds through it with out even a hickup. I have shot about everything through it includking +P. With the +P it has a real snappy recoil though. As for carry I have been carrying a Ruger P95 for years. There is no problem in concealing it. In the summer I wear a light weight vest. I just swiched (yesterday) to a Baby Eagle in .45. I felt the Desert Eagle in .50AE was a bit much.

What I have found is the less you worry about concealing the easier it is to conceal. Remember you are not trying to conceal completely. Just trying to conceal from those who are unaware. The cell phones, pagers and PDA's being worn on or about ones person have made most people not notice things hanging on your belt. A shirt tail or any kind of cover will usually let you slide by 90% of the people you will encounter. The other 10% are also carrying and don't care if you are.

11. Whasat

Whasat New Member

Bersa

Well I'm glad you mentioned that you have a Bersa Thunder 380, because that is what i ended up buying. I ment to post it but I haven't had much free time lately. Since you have put quite a few rounds through yours though I'm curious. I've put maybe 100 or 150 rounds through mine so far and cleaned it about the half way point of those. But it still likes to mis-feed a round about once a clip some days. I've heard before that the Bersa's do this until you have put a few hundred through them. Did you have this problem at first.

As far as the concealing, I agree....I carry the Bersa right now, cos I'm a skinny guy, and my glock tends to be quite obvious and uncomfortable in thinner summer time clothes. The Bersa is great, got a IWB holster for it and I can hardly even tell I have it most of the time. But I really don't worry myself to death about concealing any firearm 100%, though I usually do. I just avoid places I can't take it and don't worry about the rest cos it's legal....concealing just gives the advantage of the bg not knowing your armed. I still haven't had the berries to open carry though, I just can't see the public being calm when I walk into wal-mart with a .40 on my side.

Oh and I like the 50AE you got, saw the pics of it on here. I bet that thing has an almost uncontrolable recoil though?

12. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

Never had the problem with my Bersa. Once while at the range a lady was having the same problem you have. I just told her to tighten up on the grip which seamed to solve the problem. When new the recoil spring in the Bersa is real stiff. This combined with the light weight will cause many people to allow a slight rotation of the wrist when fireing. This will keep the slide from reaching the stop before trying to load the next round. It took about 1,500 rounds before I could say mine was brokie in. That's the point it really smoothed out. I would put about 1,500 to 2,000 rounds through it before deciding you had a problem with the gun. I also put a couple of boxes of +P through mine.. Have to watch the recoil though. It is very snappy with +P. I also would not feed it a steady diet of +P. But I do carry it loaded with +P. Just remember you do have to shoot your carry ammo some.

I am beginning to open carry some. Mostly around the house (mowing the lawn, trips to the mail box or going to the street to get something out of my van). I did open carry in a BP station near me once. It wasn't on purpose though. I got out of my vehicle walked in, made my purchase and walked back out. When I get back in the car I realized I didn't put on my vest. I was carrying a stainless Ruger P90 at the time. As far as I know no one even noticed. If they did they didn't say anything where I could hear it. I'm a skinny guy too. At 6'2 and only 170 there is not much of me to conceal anything. However I have been asked by people who know I carry where it is. I usually ask them "which one?" since I mostly carry 2. The Bersa being one of them.

Thanks for the comment on the DE 50. The problems with the DE are the Muzzle Flash and the Noise. Both are as massive as the gun. The recoil is really a pussycat. It being about 5lbs and gas operated it is not as painful to shoot as you might think. It does have quit a bit of torq and after about 50 rounds or so your wrist is a little sore. Loads of fun to shoot water mellons and heads of lettuce.

13. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

The Glock 27/26 are short in the grip area which is great for concealment but sucks for shooting. The Glock 19 loaded with Winchester Ranger 127 grain +P+ provides almost the same muzzle velocities as the 357 SIG (about 40 fps less) in the mean time training with a 9MM is less expensive.

The cheaper guns like the Bersa's are so so on quality control issues but defenitely not a first choice for a defensive gun I am going to bet my life on.

The SIG 225, 228, 229, Glock 19, Glock 23, are about the smallest gun I would have as a primary fighting gun. The Kahr PM9 and 5 shot j-frames are good back up guns.

I just don't understand why people consistently recommend small hard to shoot guns as primary guns. Yes there are those that have to carry deep under cover because of where they work or what they do at work. If thats your need then yes a small gun is better than no gun at all. If your income will only allow you to purchase a less priced gun or limits the guns available to you, save your money and buy yourself a good quality gun.

Dollar for dollar you are not going to beat the Glock for reliability and simple controls.

You can surf the boards and find good used Glocks at a steal. If you are in the Atlanta area you can take it over to Glock in Smyrna and they will go thru it and make sure everything is good to go for free.

Glock 19 and 5 magazines, one box of 50 Winchester Ranger 127 +P+, 500 rounds of 9MM range ammo is a good start.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

One of the oldest resurrections to date.

15. fallison

fallison New Member

Is that a challenge?

16. Whasat

Whasat New Member

Glad I could help ya out there MP.... :lol:

17. Whasat

Whasat New Member

Oh and by the way, I bought one yesterday....only took me two years :woohoo:

18. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Details and pics please.

19. Whasat

Whasat New Member

I guess it's acceptable for me to hijack my own thread huh... :lol: