What rifle would you recommend for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by esti, Jun 27, 2007.

1. esti

esti New Member

My 18 yr old son says Dad's Winchester model 70 7mm is "too big," and he'd like to get a .22 of his own. This is the first time he's expressed an interest in shooting. His usual hobby is being a moderator on an auto forum. (Dad is not a hunter, his answer when I asked why he doesn't practice with his rifle or 9 mm Hi-Point: "Don't need to, I hit what I shoot." :roll: Gotta love him.)

I'm not familiar with rifles, except for the M16A1 but that was 22 yrs ago. Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

2. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

Cannot ever go wrong with a Ruger 10/22.

A Marlin lever-action 243 is one fine piece of machinery also :)

Once he gets the hang of hitting targets at decent distances, I see that Winny M70 being something he might love to shoot. Is it 7mm-08 or 7mm Mag ??

3. esti

esti New Member

It's a magnum.

4. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I got an old Remmington nylon .22 That's one tough gun. I put it through a lot of abuse as a kid (though I was always knocking the scope out of center :roll: ) but if I could do it all over again I'd go with the 10/22. Potential to do lots of fun things with that gun.

5. john

john New Member

Get an AR15 , Its cheap to shoot and if the S hits the fan He will be ready for active service.

6. Blackadder

Blackadder New Member

7. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I was thinking low key rifle. If you are going to say an AR then I'll toss in an AK as a suggestion. Bet money he would enjoy practicing if it was with one of those evil weapons! :wink:

8. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

CZ 452

A very nice, affordable .22 bolt action.

I would recommend a bolt gun over a semi for a beginner. It helps them concentrate on each shot just a bit more.

[​IMG]

9. DKing

DKing New Member

Actually this is not as bad of an idea as I would have though six months ago. The AR system allows infinite upgrades while maintaining a relatively cheap and accurate platform.

I have a Ruger 10/22 and although it is a perfect 1st gun you absolutely must repair the trigger before any child begins shooting. The factory trigger is rough and gritty and leads to jerking the trigger. So your $200 gun now runs between $265-$300

The cheapest AR parts kit costs $460 + $100 for a simple receiver. Now the new shooter can have the opportunity to not only shoot a rifle but to put it together. Invaluable experience to know one's rifle.

A dedicated .22lr upper can make it a cheap accurate beginning rifle and when they grow up they can replace it and keep right on shooting their deer with 6.8 spc, or move up to the massive 50 Beowulf. Even if they only ever shoot .223 they will know their gun in a way few ever do.

So don't discount the AR immediately it with an adjustable stock can be ideal.

10. M249

M249 New Member

I gotta second the CZ 452. Ammo is cheap, and .22's are just fun as hell to shoot. They a good, inexpensive way to work on marksmanship.

The AR is a good choice as well. Again, I'm biased because I love the AR, but I think everyone needs at least one of them.

11. DKing

DKing New Member

Can I finally say,

Get an AR, It's for the children....

(Although 18 isn't a child, or shouldn't be :eek: )

12. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Honestly, I have always thought the best starter rifle was a plain bolt action .22lr.

Got my daughter one for her 10th birthday. She's 14 now. Still loves it. Cost all of $99 at Wally World. They've got up a bit since then, though. 10 round magazine. Very accurate and dependable.

http://www.savagearms.com/markiig.htm

[​IMG]

...I've got 3 or them.

13. spam_can

spam_can New Member

+1, Asbrand;

I got a sears bolt .22 for my 11th birthday. Great, safe rifle to learn on.
    Still have it, some 46 yrs now and counting. No idea how many thousands of rounds through it.

14. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

They are definitely my favourite rifle to just plink with, and have fun. Don't need ear protection. My sunglasses serve as eye protection.

When I lived in TN, we'd sit on my Uncle's back porch and just target shoot a 500 round brick worth. Lots of fun.

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I want one now but can't afford one. :(

16. maddog

maddog New Member

+1 ... This was my first rifle many moons ago

17. esti

esti New Member

Thank you everyone for your replies. He's made up his mind on the rifle he wants to buy, a Savage Mark II.

18. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Hehehehe...excellent choice. 8)

While I prefer the wooden stock, they also have it in black plastic (which I got for my daughter).

I think he'll love it!