Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious as towards what range others zero their AR at to adjust for drop.

I zero'd my 16" AR today at -1.2 inches at 25 yards, which came to +1 inch at 100 yards.

This is the chart I based my decision on. This data is for a 16" barrel using factory 55 gr. FMJ.
Muzzle: -2.5"
25 yards: -1.2"
50 yards: -.2"
75 yards: +.6"
100 yards: +1"
125 yards: +1.1"
150 yards: +.9"
175 yards: +.3"
200 yards: -.7"

I understand the military standard is to zero at 25 meters and the far zero comes out close to 300 meters, but I can't imagine ever having to shoot past 200 meters. With that in mind, I chose this particular distance so I wouldn't have to think about compensating for drop within 200 meters when aiming for center of mass.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Corrections? Any input is appreciated!

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
25 meters is too high at 225 yards and 50 meter was too low at anything over 275.
So, I compromised at 37 meters. (Well I like to tell myself that, at least.)

(which means I zeroed low at 25)

Reactions: blind_shake

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
I zero at 50m as there is really no planned use of this rifle beyond 200m as that is the ideal limit of range with this round and rifle.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I do mine at 25 yds. and let it rip. :wink:

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I zero at 25 meters for two reasons…one because use of the metric systems helps me feel sophisticated :lol: and two because that is what I learned in the Army.

·
Ordinary Average Guy
2,934 Posts
Iron sights: 25m

RDS: 50m

ACOG: 100m

Thats's where I zero mine at.

·
68,665 Posts
Quest50 said:
I'm just curious as towards what range others zero their AR at to adjust for drop.

I zero'd my 16" AR today at -1.2 inches at 25 yards, which came to +1 inch at 100 yards.

This is the chart I based my decision on. This data is for a 16" barrel using factory 55 gr. FMJ.

I understand the military standard is to zero at 25 meters and the far zero comes out close to 300 meters, but I can't imagine ever having to shoot past 200 meters. With that in mind, I chose this particular distance so I wouldn't have to think about compensating for drop within 200 meters when aiming for center of mass.

It does not work that way. If you just went to the range and adjusted down until you were 1.2 inches low, then you are going to be a couple of inches or more low at 100 yards, and way low at 200 and even more at 300.

The chart on which you relied is for a rifle zeroed at what appears to be 200 yards.

Bullets do not rise. They fall from the moment they leave the barrel. The only reason there is an arc to the bullet is that if you zero it at 100 yards, then the barrel must be angled ever so slightly upward, so that the bullet travels up before gravity takes over and the round starts losing altitude. The further out you adjust the aim, the steeper the upward angle of the barrel.

Go out and shoot further than 25 yards. What you have done is adjust your barrel down, instead of up, so that the bullet will hit the dirt even faster.

Did you really think the bullet fell 2.5 inches the exact moment it came out of the barrel (see your chart)?

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
At a two day AR training session with FireArmz, we all zeroed at 25 yds and practiced holding low for closer shots. But, looking at the chart above, it appears sighting in at 25 yds results in 2.5" high at 50 yds, 6" high at 100 yds and 9" high at 150 yds. For those of us who choose to shoot at 200 yds or less, this chart clearly suggests a 50 yd zero.

Am I reading this chart correctly?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Malum Prohibitum said:
Quest50 said:

It does not work that way. If you just went to the range and adjusted down until you were 1.2 inches low, then you are going to be a couple of inches or more low at 100 yards, and way low at 200 and even more at 300.

The chart on which you relied is for a rifle zeroed at what appears to be 200 yards.

Bullets do not rise. They fall from the moment they leave the barrel. The only reason there is an arc to the bullet is that if you zero it at 100 yards, then the barrel must be angled ever so slightly upward, so that the bullet travels up before gravity takes over and the round starts losing altitude. The further out you adjust the aim, the steeper the upward angle of the barrel.

Go out and shoot further than 25 yards. What you have done is adjust your barrel down, instead of up, so that the bullet will hit the dirt even faster.

Did you really think the bullet fell 2.5 inches the exact moment it came out of the barrel (see your chart)?
LOL, no, i don't believe the bullet fell 2.5 inches at the muzzle... However, I do believe that my sights are sitting 2.5 inches above my barrel. :wink:

Those numbers aren't the bullet's drop. They're where the bullet is at that distance relative to where my sights are aiming at - sorry, I suppose I should have explained that a little better.

I shot at 25 yards and then fine tuned at 100 yards. My shots were about 1.2 inches below the bullseye at 25 yards and about 1 inch above the bullseye at 100 yards.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Suprman said:
do you guys use gun vises or anything like that when zeroing, or just setup some sand bags and have at it?
sand bags for me.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
jdh31313 said:
I zero at 25 meters .... and two because that is what I learned in the Army.
I sighted my last AR-like rifle as described in June of 1978 at Ft Knox.... "Battle Range"... and I seem to remember qualifying "Expert" at targets up to and including 300 meters with it. But silly me!

Quest50 said:
....but I can't imagine ever having to shoot past 200 meters.
200 meters is about the closest shot for me while hunting 8 of ten times I pull the trigger out west......

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MesaCranker said:
100 yds. Poi is never above poa for me.
Do you have any particular reason for wanting your POI to never be above your POA?

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Quest50 said:
MesaCranker said:
100 yds. Poi is never above poa for me.
Do you have any particular reason for wanting your POI to never be above your POA?
My only deviation up to 100 yds will be a max of 1.5" and it will be below poa. For my purposes, this is the most likely engaging distance and with poi never being above poa it is much less to think about and compensate for.

·
68,665 Posts
Quest50 said:
I shot at 25 yards and then fine tuned at 100 yards. My shots were about 1.2 inches below the bullseye at 25 yards and about 1 inch above the bullseye at 100 yards.
:whew:

·
A Typical Cat
1,743 Posts

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I was taught in boot camp to zero at 36yards. Thats what I have always done. Works well in the 2-300 range

·
Ordinary Average Guy
2,934 Posts
Suprman said:
do you guys use gun vises or anything like that when zeroing, or just setup some sand bags and have at it?
For close-in zeroing, ( 25m ) I'll sometimes shoot off a bipod, but normally I shoot from my Caldwell 'Lead Sled'.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts