What price security?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Boy Racer, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

Link to channel 11 story.

D'oh!

2. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

That's plain dumb. That isn't the price of security. That's just darwin at it's best.

3. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I think alcohol was involved in another news site. At least thats what the other news site said. If so and the person was just drunk, I have no tolerance for it.

4. Sharky

Sharky New Member

updated....

UPDATED: 5:21 p.m. July 26, 2007
    Woman crushed to death by car door at apartment gate

By KEN SUGIURA
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/26/07

Thousands of metro Atlantans return home every day by swiping a magnetic card against an electronic reader to open a gate to their apartment complex.

Early Thursday morning, that simple act led to the death of a 24-year-old woman from Gwinnett County, police said.

RELATED LINK:
    • More Gwinnett news

According to a police report, Jamie Melissa Coleman pulled up to the gated Holland Park apartment complex in the Lawrenceville area around 2 a.m. in her 2003 Volkswagen Passat. She apparently could not reach the card reader, so she opened her door and leaned out. In the process, the car budged forward, bumping against a cement post protecting the brick-encased card reader housing. The post pushed the car door back, pinning Coleman against the car. The report said she died of asphyxiation. Police believe alcohol to be a contributing factor.

"It was pretty horrible," said Gwinnett County Police spokesman Darren Moloney. "What can you say? It was an accident."

Both Moloney and Bob Dallas, director of the Governor's Office of Highway Safety, said they had never heard of such a fatality.

Another Holland Park resident pulled in after Coleman and found her slumped to the ground. Phil Gelman, 20, at first thought she was reaching for her card on the ground, but after about two minutes, Gelman got out of his car and found Coleman not moving or breathing. Gelman said he immediately called 911, put the car in reverse and pulled Coleman out of the car to perform CPR when police arrived. Coleman was declared dead at the scene.

"It's just crazy to die like that, caught in between your door, for no reason," Gelman said.

Two residents said that the posts surrounding the readers can make it difficult to pull up close enough to reach them without either getting out of the car or leaning far out of the window.

"I won't ever do that (again)," said one resident, Jessica Sweat.

5. tace

tace New Member

This is all Darwin, bet she was too drunk to put the car in Park.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Re: updated....

A friend of mine's wife was killed like that, right here in Georgia.

7. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Re: updated....

Sorry to hear that. Was it just an accident? Hopefully it wasnt alcohol related.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

No alcohol. Just an accident. While the husband was watching. Terrible stuff.

9. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I can see it happening, and sad story with your friends. Sorry. Did not mean to be insensitive, just meant to refer to a drunk person.

10. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

My "security" comment is related to the so-called "security" of apartment complexes that utilize these stupid gate systems. Our complex has two gates, one in front of the other. The original sliding iron gate was too slow, allowing 3-4 cars to get thru on one swipe, so in front of that they added a stupid plastic arm that goes up and down when you swipe the card. People just ride your bumper and pass thru behind you, occasionally allowing the arm to come down on top of their car. Other people just drive thru it and either bend or break it. Yet the management credit some of the exorbitant rent they charge every month to being in a secure complex.

These places are not secure in the least, and in this case the stupid gate provided nothing more than a death. Seriously. I understand it was operator error, but that doesn't make the girl any less dead.

11. Sharky

Sharky New Member

The only security complex I have ever seen that was secure enough for the price was one with a 24 hour gaurd. Checked every car coming in and called the resident before allowing guest in. Residents had their own card access pass through so we didnt have to wait.

They also had a channel worked out with local cable comapany so you could turn to a channel and see the front gate and person he was calling about! Real good close up of the person driving! Now thats at least a good effort for security!

I agree the metal gates and wooden arms do nothing. No deterent in my eyes as everybody knows you just follow the car in front of you in.

Until you rear end me doing so and then get an ear full, as did the young lady that did that to me in my RAM about a year or so ago!!!!!