1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/ar ... r-by-a-cop

Some excerpts:
<snip>
Respect authority. If you don't, you increase the odds of a pricey ticket.
<snip>
Citizens who are generally law-abiding are likely to come into contact with the police only under two circumstances: If you're a crime victim or you get pulled over for a traffic violation.
<snip>
Police officers are not out to make your life miserable, but to make sure you're following the rules of the road and not endangering yourself or those around you.
<snip>
First rule: don't argue.
<snip>
If they try to take charge of the traffic stop, they're not going to get out of it without a ticket," she said. "We ask the questions, not them."
<snip>
"All we do is react to what people do when you pull them over," said Dennis Fanning, a homicide detective and veteran officer with the Los Angeles Police Department. "We don't instigate the stuff, but we will react to you. The situation will escalate or de-escalate depending on how that person reacts."
<snip>
Keep It Honest
<snip>
Fanning estimates that nine out of 10 people lie to him. "It's an attack on our intelligence," he said.
Moreover, the truth can set you free.
<snip>
"I'm the police and I get scared if I get pulled over," she said.
<snip>
"You know you don't have a gun in your lap, but the officer doesn't know it."
Rittorno, for one, said she assumes everyone has a gun. "I'm always on 10," she said, referring to her high level of vigilance. "I take it down depending on their demeanor or what I see."
<snip>
Stay Calm
<snip>
Many criminals hide guns in glove boxes.
<snip>
Finally, never try to buy off a cop. "In those instances where they've offered me a bribe," Fanning said. "I loved making those arrests."

Jennifer Waters is a MarketWatch reporter, based in Chicago.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Roll over and throw your rights away like a good [s:qjma7zxu]citizen[/s:qjma7zxu] subject.

Jesus, what else do they want me to do? Get out of the car, drop my pants, grease up, grab my ankles, and say "Thank you sir, may I have some more?"

:censored: that. And :censored: any cop (or anybody else, for that matter) who doesn't respect my rights.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
gsusnake said:
Roll over and throw your rights away like a good [s:eme6w4v8]citizen[/s:eme6w4v8] subject.
That was how I read it, too.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
I'm far from anti-LEO, but I must offer the following:
"We ask the questions, not them."
If I have a question, I'll ask it. I'm pretty sure there is no law against that. I'll be polite, but I will ask.

"You know you don't have a gun in your lap, but the officer doesn't know it."
True - it is on my hip, not in my lap.

Fanning estimates that nine out of 10 people lie to him. "It's an attack on our intelligence," he said.
Funny - that is the same thing I think when detectives are lying to a suspect....

"I'm always on 10," she said, referring to her high level of vigilance.
There I can't fault the LEO - no telling who they have just pulled over and what risk their facing. I have my windows down, interior lights on (if night time), and hands on the wheel.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
what not to say to a cop -

·
Registered
308 Posts
gsusnake said:
Roll over and throw your rights away like a good [s:c3zf6mtm]citizen[/s:c3zf6mtm] subject.

Jesus, what else do they want me to do? Get out of the car, drop my pants, grease up, grab my ankles, and say "Thank you sir, may I have some more?"

:censored: that. And :censored: any cop (or anybody else, for that matter) who doesn't respect my rights.
You really think so? Arguing, lying, getting angry, and bribing police WILL increase the likelihood of a ticket/arrest. It sounds like decent advice.

I may have the right to call a cop a &$#^%$, but it is good idea not to do this.

"Don't bribe a cop" advice is not throwing away your rights or analogous to getting reamed.

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, the 4 main points are certainly good guidelines... its the filler in between that the Chicago reporter used that spoils the article.

·
Registered
737 Posts
RickN said:
gsusnake said:
Roll over and throw your rights away like a good [s:1e58spxb]citizen[/s:1e58spxb] subject.

You really think so? Arguing, lying, getting angry, and bribing police WILL increase the likelihood of a ticket/arrest. It sounds like decent advice.

I may have the right to call a cop a &$#^%$, but it is good idea not to do this.

"Don't bribe a cop" advice is not throwing away your rights or analogous to getting reamed.
AMEN :righton:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
HydroAuto said:
Some excerpts:
First rule: don't argue.
Keep It Honest
Stay Calm
Finally, never try to buy off a cop.
#2 and #4 are good rules. #1 and #3 are good guidelines.

I have violated guideline #1 more than once and slightly bent guideline #3 one time that I recall. I was never cited when I did either. YMMV

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
RedDawnTheMusical said:
Funny - that is the same thing I think when detectives are lying to a suspect....
...also an attack on one's integrity when a "9 out of 10" assumption is made.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
gordon11 said:
What not to say...
"There's a body in the trunk" I can think of many others. :roll:
When asked this question I did stare blankly and say "no, I took it out and buried it". :)

The officer didn't see the humor in that. :(

But I didn't get a ticket. :D

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I do a lot of hunting, therefore I always hav e a tarp in the car, which has some blood on it, and there are some blood stains in the back of my car, all from deer and wild hogs. I'm just waiting to get hold of the wrong cop...........

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
270sniper said:
I do a lot of hunting, therefore I always hav e a tarp in the car, which has some blood on it, and there are some blood stains in the back of my car, all from deer and wild hogs. I'm just waiting to get hold of the wrong cop...........
Consider adding some hair from a woman's hair brush to the blood stains. A bloody pair of women's shoes would be a nice touch too.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
RedDawnTheMusical said:
270sniper said:
Consider adding some hair from a woman's hair brush to the blood stains. A bloody pair of women's shoes would be a nice touch too.
It would be my luck there was a murder 1 county over and they "match up" this evidence with the crime scene. I've always said they could "plant and doctor" the evidence and arrest and jail you for any crime they (the government) want to. Don't believe I want to play this game.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
mountainman444 said:
RedDawnTheMusical said:
270sniper said:
It would be my luck there was a murder 1 county over and they "match up" this evidence with the crime scene. I've always said they could "plant and doctor" the evidence and arrest and jail you for any crime they (the government) want to. Don't believe I want to play this game.
This. I never want to take that chance.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
vanguard said:
RickN said:
gsusnake said:
Roll over and throw your rights away like a good [s:1j23ttjm]citizen[/s:1j23ttjm] subject.

AMEN :righton:
"Respect authority or you increase the chance of a pricey ticket"

Um... no. :censored: authority.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts