What LEO said about Open Carry

Discussion in 'LEO Encounters' started by guardguy, Nov 12, 2010.

1. guardguy

guardguy New Member

Online discussion with a LEO friend who is part of a large police department. This guy has been with the deparment a while.

2. Aberk

Aberk Custom User Title

3. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Have him scan the training files and send them to you.

4. guardguy

guardguy New Member

Good idea! Will post updates.

5. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

6. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Is the department here in Georgia?

7. Aberk

Aberk Custom User Title

Oh yeah... I didnt think to ask that.

8. guardguy

guardguy New Member

I really don't want to call any department out, but yeah, he is an city/county officer for a college town near north east Georgia.

Oh and Go Dawgs!!! :wink: :wink:

9. CoffeeMate

If it's a department in Georgia then the Oconee County Sheriff's Office might be able to help him out with some POST certified training.

10. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I have spoken with about a half dozen or so officers of this department, and they all seemed to know the law about as well as the average GPDOer. Is your friend above SPO level?

11. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

There always has to be one. :banghead:

12. JMan

JMan New Member

:righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton:

13. guardguy

guardguy New Member

He is a patrol officer, not familar with what a SPO level is. I have yet to hear back from him so I believe he might have realized he was wrong and is avoiding responding. Hopefully he will or at least he has learned the correct law.

14. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

There is a large city/county agency near us that has the rank of SPO, which =Senior Police Officer.
    In order to obtain SPO, the patrol officer must acquire X number of advanced training hours. Many of their patrol officers are training with us, taking our Senior Deputy classes and other classes we host for free for any officer that wishes to attend, SO or PD.
    Most likely, if a patrol officer seeking SPO certification comes to our agency for training, he or she will attend a block of instruction on SB 308.

15. MyFred

MyFred Banned

I really don't like pointing this out to an intelligent person that probably already knew, but have you ever worked in a group of people where everyone was perfect and knew how to do their job?? Thought not!!

16. CoffeeMate

Is there any possibility that block of SB308 training might be available to non-officers?

17. spotco2

spotco2 New Member

I had a discussion with a chief not to long ago after they returned from Chiefs School for a week. He said that they had covered the new carry laws and were told that open carry is still illegal. He was very adamant about this since he had just gone to school about it.

Yes, they were in Georgia.

18. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Please tell me this wasn't in Polk County?

19. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

If he was like most people who only listen with half an ear during conferences, his ears probably perked up at 'illegal' and glossed right over the '"unless one has a GWL, it's illegal to openly carry a firearm in Georgia"