Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Online discussion with a LEO friend who is part of a large police department. This guy has been with the deparment a while.

The open carry side of the law is muddied up by location. That is where all the new changes have been involved. The laws are still changing as lawsuits and the carry law is challenged.

Keep in mind the carry laws have changed a lot in the last few months. The key thing is keeping the weapon concealed. We just got an update in our training files for concealed weapons.

·
Custom User Title
1,663 Posts
facepalm

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Have him scan the training files and send them to you.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
:banghead: #-o

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
And it continues :roll: :roll:

·
Custom User Title
1,663 Posts
CoffeeMate said:
guardguy said:
Online discussion with a LEO friend who is part of a large police department. This guy has been with the deparment a while.
Is the department here in Georgia?
Oh yeah... I didnt think to ask that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really don't want to call any department out, but yeah, he is an city/county officer for a college town near north east Georgia.

Oh and Go Dawgs!!! :wink: :wink:

CoffeeMate said:
guardguy said:

·
16,485 Posts
guardguy said:
I really don't want to call any department out, but yeah, he is an city/county officer for a college town near north east Georgia.

CoffeeMate said:
guardguy said:
I have spoken with about a half dozen or so officers of this department, and they all seemed to know the law about as well as the average GPDOer. Is your friend above SPO level?

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
guardguy said:

CoffeeMate said:
guardguy said:
There always has to be one. :banghead:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
CoffeeMate said:
If it's a department in Georgia then the Oconee County Sheriff's Office might be able to help him out with some POST certified training.
:righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
budder said:
guardguy said:

CoffeeMate said:
guardguy said:
I have spoken with about a half dozen or so officers of this department, and they all seemed to know the law about as well as the average GPDOer. Is your friend above SPO level?
He is a patrol officer, not familar with what a SPO level is. I have yet to hear back from him so I believe he might have realized he was wrong and is avoiding responding. Hopefully he will or at least he has learned the correct law.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
There is a large city/county agency near us that has the rank of SPO, which =Senior Police Officer.
In order to obtain SPO, the patrol officer must acquire X number of advanced training hours. Many of their patrol officers are training with us, taking our Senior Deputy classes and other classes we host for free for any officer that wishes to attend, SO or PD.
Most likely, if a patrol officer seeking SPO certification comes to our agency for training, he or she will attend a block of instruction on SB 308.

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
EJR914 said:
guardguy said:

CoffeeMate said:
guardguy said:
There always has to be one. :banghead:
I really don't like pointing this out to an intelligent person that probably already knew, but have you ever worked in a group of people where everyone was perfect and knew how to do their job?? Thought not!!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I had a discussion with a chief not to long ago after they returned from Chiefs School for a week. He said that they had covered the new carry laws and were told that open carry is still illegal. He was very adamant about this since he had just gone to school about it.

Yes, they were in Georgia.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
spotco2 said:
I had a discussion with a chief not to long ago after they returned from Chiefs School for a week. He said that they had covered the new carry laws and were told that open carry is still illegal. He was very adamant about this since he had just gone to school about it.

Please tell me this wasn't in Polk County?

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
spotco2 said:

If he was like most people who only listen with half an ear during conferences, his ears probably perked up at 'illegal' and glossed right over the '"unless one has a GWL, it's illegal to openly carry a firearm in Georgia"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts