What kind of Optic for my S&W optics ready AR15

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by rmodel65, Oct 21, 2010.

1. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

so ive got an OR M&P15 and id like to figure out what i should do for optics? any ideas

2. 175FO

175FO Member

Re: What kind of Optic for my S&W opetics ready AR15

For close range the best thing would be an Eotech, had one on my AR while in the Ranger Battalion, best close range optic I have used. You can also put a magnifier behind it for longer range shooting. The one downfall of the Eotech is the price.

3. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

what about iron sights to accompany that?

4. 1clearshot

1clearshot Member

For me, the choice of optic depends on what I'm shooting at what distance. I tried Eotech but, didn't like the dot going fuzzy at times. I have Leupold Prismatic on my 7" upper and haven't decide what to put on my 12.5" upper. (shooting with Troy BUIS for now)....leaning toward Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 in case I take it hunting.

The prismatic would work without battery, also.

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

I went with the Troy front and rear fold down BUIS on my SW MP15 flattop. I have not decided what I want to do yet with regard to an electronic sight.

6. Tazisland

Tazisland New Member

+1 for the Eotech. Have one on my M&P15 MOE and love it, very quick acquisition. The S&W came with the Magpul BUIS which works for me just fine. In fact, I can co-witness the Eotech between the flip-up rear and front sight if needed. Another reason I like the Eotech.

7. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

8. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Currently, I'm running an EOtech on my M&P 15T, but I'll probably switch it to a 1-4 optic in the coming year.

9. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

300 yards. That's all you got. Find an optic that you like that performs well in that range. I'd suggest red dot style of sight. No magnification. No to an Eotech. Aimpoint or my preference, a Trijicon Tri-power. The tri-power will range you out to 200 yards without sacrificing the close range, super fast tactical application of room clearing of a red dot sight. If you need to reach out to 200-300 yards, you might be holding the wrong rifle.

10. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

I had an EOTech on mine. Loved it, but was only good for closer ranges IMO. I have only Magpul's BUIS on it right now, but plan to pick up a Millet DMS-1 (1-4X) at some point in the future. This scope seems to be mentioned fairly often over at ar15.com.

11. ARMT Guy

ARMT Guy Ordinary Average Guy

My preference is for Aimpoint, either one of the standard size Comp ML2s, 4s, etc, or the T1s. They're generally not as bulkly as the EoTechs and have a much longer battery life. Very durable sights.

I'm looking forward to the T1 I picked up and have waiting for me back home. Small, ( taking up very little rail space and less of an obstruction to forward vision ) with a 5 year battery life.. that cinches it for me. Throw in a 3X magnifier, and I'm good to go out to 300/400 yards or more.

12. moga

moga New Member

I'm saving for a IOR VALDADA 1-4x26 but will suffice with a CMore red dot until I get the cashola together for the premium glass. Although I like the reticle, the EOTech's footprint is a little bulky. Further, I'd prefer to put the couple hundred dollar difference in price in the fund for the IOR.

13. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

I use an Aimpoint with a 3x magnifier on Larue mounts. The 3x moves out of the way when I don't need it and quickly snaps into place when I do. I'm good out to 300yds easy. It ain't cheap but it sure works well. :righton:

[​IMG]