What kind of mattress to buy?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Verbal101, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

I've crawled down the rabbit hole of mattress shopping. I might try one of the "bed in a box" internet brands, like Hyphen, Leesa, or Loom and Leaf. Has anyone here tried those beds? As backup, I like the Serenity foam mattress at Original Mattress Factory.

Has anyone here made the leap from traditional inner spring to foam mattress? Do you like it? What brand did you use?

Thanks

2. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

I got a mattress firm house brand foam mattress a few years back. Comfortable as can be, but woke up in a puddle of sweat every morning. If you go foam, either get a brand with cool gel in the top or be prepared to spend a couple hundred bucks on a quality cool gel topper.

3. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Sleep number well worth the price when you think it will last 3-4 times as long as traditional inner spring or foam

4. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

We bought a Purple mattress when we bought the house last August.

I love that thing. I haven't woken up with back pain since we got it.

https://onpurple.com/

5. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

Purple got me started down the rabbit hole. But I kind of got turned off when I heard they have to put talcum powder in the egg crate layer to reduce noise.

Does it squeak any? Does it sleep pretty cool?

6. Archangel

If there is talcum powder in mine I can't see it or smell it.

Sleeps much cooler than memory foam mattresses I've used.

There are no squeaks whatsoever.

Honestly the most comfortable mattress I've ever owned and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I ever had to replace this one.

7. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

I have been quite happy with our Original Mattress Factory bed. I am also happy to support a company that has factories here in the states.

8. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Are you referring to this or something else?

https://onpurple.com/blog/non-toxic-plastic-powder

The mattress looks interesting. Ours is at least 8 years old, so wondering about replacing it sometime.

9. Archangel

I think that's what he was referring to. It's not a talc, like they say on the link, you can't even see it really.

All I can say is this.

Every morning for years as soon as I got up out of bed it felt like somebody stabbed me at the base of my spine with an icepick.

Since we got our Purple... Not anymore. Morning back pain? Nope, nada, nothing... It's awesome.

10. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Why purple ($1300) over sams club foam ($600)?

11. Archangel

Purple is not just foam. The way they put it together and the layer of purple material makes huge difference.

Many memory foam mattresses and toppers have the nasty side effect of reflecting your body heat and holding it. I've spent lots of nights sweating like crazy because of that. Purples sleep cool.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCuP6frAqpA[/ame]

12. Archangel

Sciencey stuff!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtD1HjGAGzY[/ame]

13. Archangel

More sciencey stuff!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BvwpjaGZCQ[/ame]

14. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

We bought the expensive Sleep Number and I sleep better than I ever have on it. Would not go back for anything.

15. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

I have a c4 model and love it. When we go to a king I think we will get the 5 or 6.

16. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

I have a King BeautyRest for sale in "other". I bought it new and it was used very little.

17. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

Yes, the powder, but the purpose I heard was different than that described in the link. Maybe I got the "squeak" part wrong.

If it isn't talc that rekindles my interest.

Archangel, have you had any dealings with Purple customer service?

Did it smell bad when you unpacked it, and how long did that last?

Did it fully "inflate" when you unpacked it? Sheets fit ok?

18. Archangel

Customer Service : Only via email and they responded quickly.

Smell : Not that we noticed and we slept on it prolly 4 hours after we placed it.

Inflating : Yes and FAST

Sheets : We use Jersey Sheets as recommended by other Purple owners, you don't want sheets that are too tight, it squishes the elastic polymer layer. Purple now sells their own sheets, but we're happy with the Jerseys.

19. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

I forgot the brand but I love my memory foam. It's the best night's sleep I've ever had. Pillow tops are nice and all, super comfy, but this thing keeps me locked in place so I don't move around so much. It's awesome. You should go lay on one in the store thought to me sure it's for you. I have a buddy that bought one and he hates it. He's been trying to sell it forever now.