Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What gun do you have on hand that you would grab first if awoken in the middle of the night?

Right now for me I'm torn between my Sig 1911 and Glock 17 (although they both sit on the nightstand). Capacity vs a nice big bullet (and more accuracy in the Sig). I'm thinking I might get a Glock 21SF for use on the nightstand, but it's not in the budget yet (best of both worlds). I'm also thinking about leaving the AR beside the bed, but that requires 2 hands to operate so I'm thinking the gain in firepower might not be worth the hit to versatility (same logic goes for the 870).

Also, I've heard the topic of noise brought up before and I found this nifty little guide: http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_gunfirenoise.shtml

As you can see firing pretty much any gun without ear protection (even a .25ACP) is above the level for potential long term damage, and there isn't a large difference between common pistol, rifle and shotgun rounds that are usually used in a SD role.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
CZ 75B and a flashlight.

I have a Zookeeper holster for my Sigs so I keep my CZ as my go to bedroom weapon.

I keep my HD shotgun in my safe with all my other guns.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
4" Commander 1911, several mags and a Solarforce flashlight. Backed up by mean little irish girl with a Glock Fotay.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
my "nightstand" gun is a mossberg 500 with 18 barrel, loaded with 6 rounds of buckshot. bartle doo.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,108 Posts
My carry gun is my nightstand gun.
I don't leave the house with a loaded, working gun sitting unattended in the bedroom. Too easy for a burglar to get it. Maybe use it against ME or my family if we come home while the bad guy's still there.

If I need more than my carry pistol, I open the safe and get a rifle, such as the SKS with a 3"D" cell Mag-Light mounted on it. The light shines exactly where the bullets will hit.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Glock 38 (45 GAP) with Crimson Trace and two mags full of HSTs!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gunsmoker said:
I don't leave the house with a loaded, working gun sitting unattended in the bedroom. Too easy for a burglar to get it. Maybe use it against ME or my family if we come home while the bad guy's still there.
Well I think most people would put it in the the safe when they leave if it's a different gun than their carry (thats what I do anyway). By nightstand gun I just meant your go to middle of the night weapon, not necessarily one that remains on the nightstand.

Most people don't carry a full size pistol all the time, so generally you can have more choices for a primary HD gun since weight, size, conceal-ability, etc aren't issues.

·
Registered
404 Posts
dcannon1 said:
gunsmoker said:
Well I think most people would put it in the the safe when they leave if it's a different gun than their carry (thats what I do anyway). By nightstand gun I just meant your go to middle of the night weapon, not necessarily one that remains on the nightstand.

Most people don't carry a full size pistol all the time, so generally you can have more choices for a primary HD gun since weight, size, conceal-ability, etc aren't issues.
I have a hidden compartment in my nightstand. I keep my pistol there during the day and pull it out at night. However I am looking into a good safe.

Corey

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
gunsmoker said:
My carry gun is my nightstand gun.

If I need more than my carry pistol, I open the safe and get a rifle, such as the SKS with a 3"D" cell Mag-Light mounted on it. The light shines exactly where the bullets will hit.
x2 when I come home whatever gun Ive been carrying all day goes on nightstand beside all my loose change and car keys

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Yugo M70AB2 underfolder, with a Nitrolon G2 weapon light , and 4 spare mags in a small shoulder bag.

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
Mossberg 500A (5 rds 00buck). SIG P228 (carry gun). DW .357.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Usually a Glock 21sf...but it will be going back to Glock to fix an ambi mag release problem, so I guess it will be my Glock 27 carry gun for a while.

·
Registered
308 Posts
In the bedroom area: Glock 19 with TLR-1 in the nightstand, Mossberg 500 in the closet, EDC Glock 23 with my wallet, keys.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
my bedside go-to is my edc, p239 big dot night sights with a mag of 165g hst, i take it off just before i lay down and it's ALWAYS within arms reach. fortunately i live in a reasonably peaceful north forsyth and don't feel the need to keep a battle rifle that handy but can get to such firepower in a minute or so.

1 - 20 of 193 Posts