Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

261 - 280 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
St. Augustine right?
NO. Centipede that has never nor will it ever be fertilized. Sun and water is all it needs. Good alluvial soil.

·
68,961 Posts
Yeah my community. It's sort of like a compound with a long drive in boarded by a swamp and creek in the rear. Not sure which tree you mean. The ones with the lavender flowers are Lipan crepe myrtle. Did the golf thing some way back. Had enough room for a 125 yard shot. I was useless at it.
Pic of creek and swamp.
View attachment 15703
Is can't get centipede to grow in years I ignore it or in years I fertilize and water . . . .

Do you spend a lot of time weeding in the ferns and other "flower bed" mulched areas? Mine get taken over with giant southern crabgrass, poison ivy, wild strawberries, and all kinds of other weeds I cannot identify. One popped up 6 feet tall in just a few days from nothing. No idea what it is, but it is as tall as I am. Wasn't there a week or two ago. Poison ivy is out of control this year. It must be the mild winter and all the rain.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Do you spend a lot of time weeding in the ferns and other "flower bed" mulched areas?
Not much. Over the years I have learned how to use roundup in tight spaces to control weeds and what not. Always carry a pair of clippers with you so if you screw up with the roundup you can cut off the part you sprayed. If the culprit is to large or tall to spray or pull up by the roots cut it off at ground level when it sprouts back out hit it with roundup. Use a coarse spray and avoid windy days. All else fails rip out the beds plow them good put down fabric matting and cut holes where your plants will go and mulch well with pine straw after planting. As in anything it takes some time to learn stuff.
Centipede loves South Georgia. I'm convinced it hates the rest of Georgia.
Best course of action for many is to forget the yard and make lots of money to retire on then when you have more time perfect that yard you've always wanted.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,491 Posts
Mine is easy. A few gallons of green paint on the concrete and all is well.

Nemo

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,491 Posts
So condo or apartment?

Nemo

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,491 Posts
I could do that myself. If my wife would permit it we would live far enough out of town to get Monday night football on Thursday morning.

Nemo

·
Registered
14,556 Posts
Mine is easy. A few gallons of green paint on the concrete and all is well.

Nemo
When the ex and I were looking for our first house in Columbus, OH many moons ago, the realtor showed us this one place that was just like that. Not a blade of grass anywhere except for the occasional weed sprout. And a really gross bright green color. :puke: We passed on it.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I can't wait till I retire so I can sit in the shade and watch my yard guy cut my grass.
I enjoyed cutting my grass, but with heat index numbers getting up to 110-115, I decided to let a couple neighborhood kids cut it for the rest of the season. Thankfully, they cost about 1/3 of the "professionals" and actually do a better job.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,819 Posts
Ugh! That reminds me I have to cut the weeds in my backyard. Fortunately, having a self-propelled mower will make that much easier now.

But yeah, when I was a kid, I cut folks' grass with meticulous care, like it was my own.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Ugh! That reminds me I have to cut the weeds in my backyard. Fortunately, having a self-propelled mower will make that much easier now.

But yeah, when I was a kid, I cut folks' grass with meticulous care, like it was my own.
The "kids" are freaking awesome. When I talked to them, they told me that they have been doing it for about 5 years and they have about 12 clients. They have very high end equipment and can accomplish in two hours what would take me at least 6. Unfortunate for me, they are going to college in August so I will be back at it. BOO!!! And flower beds? Ugh...we have 12'ish of them (I refuse to actually count) and it can take a good day and a half to weed 'em all.

I also hired another "kid" (he's actually in college, so I guess not a kid) to detail my truck. Wash/wax/interior all for $70. He spent a good 3.5 hours working on it and when he was done, it looked better than ever. I actually paid him $100 since he did such a good job. Funny to think that I used to wash cars at a condo complex behind where I lived. I only charged $5 for a wash, but rarely got a tip. Damn cheap ass East Cobb Snobbs! ;)

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I only charged $5 for a wash
Put me down for one day next week. I'll drive to you. Will be a nice trip. I tip. Not much though. F150 in case it matters.

Reactions: GM404

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,491 Posts
Hail you could easy go 20% tip for him.

Nemo

·
Registered
595 Posts
College kids!

When I was in college, during summers, my brother and I used to deliver antique furniture for antique stores and dealer around town. It's a pretty specialized delivery niche, because of the value of some of these pieces (we delivered a $700,000 15th century Italian console once) and the degree of care needed to secure and move them.

We'd rent a Ryder (or whatever) truck for the day, and we had a metric F-ton of furniture pads and straps and the like, high-end handcarts. We came up with a "uniform" (basically khakis and white polo shirts, the better to reassure mansion-dwelling clients). The antique dealers knew us, so when they had a tricky delivery, they'd give us a call, and we'd handle it. We never broke or damaged a piece that I can recall. We made mad $$$ for a "college summer job".

(If you've ever done delivery work, you can imagine the weird characters and misadventures we met. Lesbian witches, a retired French diplomat, snobbish doctors, the works).

DH

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
261 - 280 of 306 Posts