What is your favorite gun to shoot for fun?

Discussion in 'Women with Firearms' started by Maddie, Sep 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Maddie

Maddie I am surrounded by idiots

2. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

Just for fun it’s my Henry lever action 22

Maddie likes this.

3. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

4. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

5. Maddie

6. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

And a whole lot of fun to shoot....

7. Maddie

I bet. How’s the recoil on it?

8. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Not as bad as you might think. Because it is gas operated it helps reduce the recoil.

9. HJB

HJB Active Member

Right now I have to go with my new Glock 44. I bought it because my EDC is a Glock 19 and it is the same size so it feels good in my hand. I bought it so that wife and I both have a .22 to shoot when we go to the range, we can get enough ammo at a decent price so that's pretty much all we shoot at the range. Her .22 is a S&W M&P .22 compact and it shoots very good to but we don't want to share one gun. I had been thinking about a Glock 44 anyway so I just went ahead and bought it.

10. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Plastic guns. Hehehe. Try about any Colt wheelgun. Had several of the snakes before I had to sell them for scripts and stuff.

Nemo

11. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

The one I can't talk about.

12. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

Lately it’s been the g19. The thing just keeps firing those tumble lubed lead bullets that are supposed to be a no go in the stock barrel. I’m not sure what’s going on.

13. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Gunny Hartman thanks you. :lol:

14. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Moe you think I should post it or leave it alone?

15. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

Interesting question. I guess "fun" is pretty subjective!

As both a history and a gun fan, I've enjoyed black powder firearms for many years (I started building "Mississippi" style percussion rifles when I was 13 or 14... I had an uncle who was a muzzleloader and bow hunter, and he introduced me to the craft.)

Obviously, in comparison with modern guns, they're challenging to shoot. One kind of works on the gun between shots, trying to get more accuracy, like removing the barrel and filing the stock to get the barrel to seat better and so forth. If "maintenance" can bond you to your weapon, well... there's plenty of bonding to be had.

Breaking an old rifle down, sanding and reblueing the barrel, polishing the brass furniture & lockplate, staining the stock and giving it a through going over with beeswax until it glows with a rich hue, and then reassembly, all makes for a good afternoon. The barrels *definitely* rust, even stored indoors in a humidity-controlled environment, and a flintlock or musket will have you appreciating oilcloth in a way modern guns do not.

Kind of like old sports cars - yes, they smell like lawnmowers and break down all the time, but if you *really* want to understand a car, you need to experience one of those finicky bastards. Black powder guns kind of play a similar role for guns.

Specific gun in the category? Maybe model 1841 US percussion rifle, 60 grains, .530 patched ball.

DH

16. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

Lever action .444 Marlin.

But I don't shoot it often because ammo's dang hard to find in that caliber.

dhaller likes this.
  17. Smilodon

Smilodon Active Member

That's a tough question. I don't think I can pick a favorite, but if I could it would be one of my .22's.

18. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

I will if you won't! :righton:

19. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

20. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

My 9mm carbine.

Bkite likes this.