Georgiapacking.org banner

121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
phantoms said:
I didn't hear, but was 291 brought to the floor as passed by the Senate or were there changes?
So far as I can tell, no changes.

Will be on pins and needles waiting to see if the Governor vetos because of the Katrina provision, though...

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
latter_day_hippie said:
phantoms said:
I didn't hear, but was 291 brought to the floor as passed by the Senate or were there changes?
So far as I can tell, no changes.

Will be on pins and needles waiting to see if the Governor vetos because of the Katrina provision, though...
If 308 passes it will be interesting to see what happens to 291. I suspect it dies and the Katrina wording is added to 308.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
AEKDB said:
If 308 passes it will be interesting to see what happens to 291. I suspect it dies and the Katrina wording is added to 308.
Why? There are no provisions in SB291 that contradict provisions on SB308. Both bills could be passed and signed into law separately.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
latter_day_hippie said:
AEKDB said:
They both have wording modifying 16-11-127 and 16-11-129. Something will have to be done if both pass. Perhaps 291 might survive only with the Katrina wording so Sonny can veto it.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,361 Posts
SB308 had Katrina provisions in it but was removed from it before Senate floor vote because objections by Purdue.

Because of this i have doubts SB 291 will escape being vetoed.

·
Registered
360 Posts
phantoms said:
SB308 had Katrina provisions in it but was removed from it before Senate floor vote because objections by Purdue.

I thought Mr Purdue was a conservative? What is it about the Katrina language that is so unpalatable to the Gov? How long might it take for him to render a decision. In short, when will we know whether or not this makes it to law? (Yeah, I know-20 questions.)

·
Registered
68 Posts
As many times as i've read 291 & it's revisions, I still can't get a clear resolution on whether or not this does away with the "first offender" GFL refusals that I and many others have encountered. In the "as passed" version that I read, it repeals 11-16-126,127& 128 - but says nothing about 11-16-129. It also only "strikes" the definition section, not the law itself. Can anyone clarify this for me?
Also - any feeling about how long it will take Purdue to sign/veto it? IF I can get my GFL back, I want to be in line at the probate court while the ink is drying.

Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
OK - my mistake. Having re - (re,re,re,re,) read the as-passed bill, I see that the whole 11-16-129 is referenced in that paragraph. ( was just off my screen the way it was sized).

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,727 Posts
mdlott said:
phantoms said:

I thought Mr Purdue was a conservative? What is it about the Katrina language that is so unpalatable to the Gov? How long might it take for him to render a decision. In short, when will we know whether or not this makes it to law? (Yeah, I know-20 questions.)
For several years, Purdue has threatened to veto any bill that limits the Gov's emergency powers.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
So what's the deal on traffic citations becoming a misdemeanor? That's the most RIDICULOUS thing I think I've ever heard. A speeding ticket causes me to lose my license? No, that's BS. I hope this is vetoed by Perdue. I can't believe they would make that change. Unbelievable.

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
IrishTiger said:
So what's the deal on traffic citations becoming a misdemeanor? That's the most RIDICULOUS thing I think I've ever heard. A speeding ticket causes me to lose my license? No, that's BS. I hope this is vetoed by Perdue. I can't believe they would make that change. Unbelievable.
Maybe I'm reading a different bill than you, but I just checked here:
http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/2009_10/search/sb291.htm and every instance of the word "misdemeanor" is preceded by "forcible" with one exception. That exception refers to what you will be changed with if you are in possession of a GFL when it has been revoked. So I don't think you have to worry about speeding tickets being a disqualifier.

Also, this bill isn't making speeding tickets misdemeanors, they are already classified as such.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,727 Posts
IrishTiger said:
What makes you think you would lose your GFL over a traffic ticket?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
latter_day_hippie said:
Speaker just pwned her by pointing out that the automatic renewal provision is just a notification. Benfield doesn't understand that a renewal requires the same checks as a new license... :eye roll:
Yes but the Bill Sponsor could not easily articulate WHY it's in the public safety interest for people to be lawfully allowed to carry to the airport (ie it's hazardous to and from the airport, with actively bad areas around the airport). I actually got an e-mail back from Rep Stuckey-Benefield where I explained it and she seemed nominally receptive to the concept.

I'm going to work on her some more. I've invited her to get a beer at the Brick Store or coffee at Java Monkey. Both areas in her district core area and we'll see if I can get her at least neutral on some of the provisions. I in fact understand where she's coming from, I think that she's mistaken BUT since I used to view things the way she does, I can at least understand the context.

I figure if I can at LEAST get her to not actively work against SB308 then hey. Given how the floor vote for SB-291 went though, I suspect, if SB 308 gets to the floor we'll be good.

Dear Ryan - Thanks for your response. I don't know if you saw the exchange
on Tuesday night, but your response is more informative than the one I got
when I questioned Rep. Dempsey in the well. The argument you make about
traveling to the airport through dangerous parts of town does make sense and
is a rationale for having firearms in the airport parking lot. I find the
argument for open carry in the waiting area less persuasive since those
areas are heavily secured and guarded.

I do agree that it makes sense for the open carry laws to be clearer so that
law abiding permit holders will know where they can legally carry firearms
and where they can't. However, some areas are deserving of special
protections, and I'm glad that the current version of SB 308 recognizes that
K-12 schools should remain gun free.

We may have some fundamental disagreements about gun laws and rights, but I
do respect your views and appreciate you taking the time to write me.

Best Regards,
Stephanie

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Adam5 said:
IrishTiger said:
Wording in the original SB291 required forfeit of GFL for 5 years after conviction of any misdemeanor (speeding, red light, failure to yield, failure to signal, etc). The version that passed the Senate (and the House) was amended to remove the wording. The misdemeanor wording was an anti's wet dream. I would like to know who put that wording in there.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
AEKDB said:
Adam5 said:
IrishTiger said:
Wording in the original SB291 required forfeit of GFL for 5 years after conviction of any misdemeanor (speeding, red light, failure to yield, failure to signal, etc). The version that passed the Senate (and the House) was amended to remove the wording. The misdemeanor wording was an anti's wet dream. I would like to know who put that wording in there.
Yeah that's where I got the idea. I just didn't know if the language had been stripped. Thank God. That's absolutely crazy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So am I understanding SB291 to say that firearms carry with a permit is ok in any place except that prohibited by federal law?

·
Registered
985 Posts
DIB said:
So am I understanding SB291 to say that firearms carry with a permit is ok in any place except that prohibited by federal law?
only within the airport, it does not change anything else

121 - 140 of 157 Posts