Georgiapacking.org banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This talk of contacting our representatives motivated me to find out who mine were and think about writing a letter. I was pleased to discover Sen. Renee Unterman is reportedly a GCO member and Rep. Lee Thompson is considered receptive to GCO concerns according to posts here.

When I looked up what they are sponsors for, I discovered Sen. Unterman is sponsoring SB-291. "Firearms; laws concerning carrying of concealed weapons; revise comprehensively"

Page for status of SB 291

This seems to be some sort of exact counterpart, very similar, but not identical, to HB-615. "Firearms; carrying of concealed weapons; revise laws; provisions"

I can't find any mention of it in this forum nor on the GPDO Current Bills page. Does this bill need our consideration, or does HB-615 supercede it somehow?

·
68,114 Posts
Re: What is SB-291?

Bills do not supercede each other (unless one is passed and the other is not). This is a bill in the Senate that has some provisions similar to HB 615, but it is missing the repeal of the public gathering law. Misdemeanor marijuana convictions and first offender treatment are still lifetime prohibitors under SB 291.

It has some good provisions. for example, under Section 1, you would not be committing a crime by carrying a pocketknife concealed (with a license). Under Section 3, the requirement of a license for carrying openly is removed, so that Georgia would be like most states.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
I am worried that as currently written it changes how renewals are performed and does not say that renewals must be checked using NICS. Which means we could loose NICS exemption again.

Also, it allows the probate judge to wait until the background checks are returned instead of processing it via a timeline like the law says now. So if the GBI decides it is understaffed and will not process non-criminal background checks then you will basically not be able to renew.

I do like the enhanced Katrina law part that allows you to sue the person that confiscates a weapon as well as the person that told/ordered them to.

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Malum Prohibitum said:
Bills do not supercede each other (unless one is passed and the other is not).
What would happen if both passed? With both modifying the same laws, how are conflicts resolved?

I'm rather surprised at two separate bills in separate houses being independently raised on the same topic.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts

Rugerer said:
I'm rather surprised at two separate bills in separate houses being independently raised on the same topic.
Not very surprising at all actually.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
State Sen. Mitch Seabaugh, R-Sharpsburg, will be filing what is being called the "Common Sense Lawful Carry Bill."

A press conference on the bill will be held today at 2 p.m. at the capitol.

Seabaugh could not be reached for comment Monday.
More about politics at link nothing more about the bill. The bill's name does have a nice ring to it.

·
68,114 Posts
mountainpass said:
State Sen. Mitch Seabaugh, R-Sharpsburg, will be filing what is being called the "Common Sense Lawful Carry Bill."

More about politics at link nothing more about the bill. The bill's name does have a nice ring to it.
This will be a different bill from SB 291.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
MP said:
This will be a different bill from SB 291.
Yeah I just realized that. Do we know what number it will be assigned?

Edit: SB 281?

·
Registered
149 Posts
mountainpass said:

I think that bill adds a "sign law" :(

I come from NC, which has a sign law, and I can assure you that you do NOT want that to pass.

More: http://www.northwestgeorgia.com/statene ... 45622.html

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts

·
68,114 Posts

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This provision is inserted to address the ruling of a federal judge who declared that a Georgia legislator did not mean what he said when he wrote HB 89 in the last session
Sometimes I wonder that the legislators ought to stick language in like:

To all judges reading this, we expressly exclaim the right of our citizens to carry with the freedom of travel in this state, in all places of public transport, including but not limited to, the Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson International Airport, located south of Atlanta, any MARTA terminal, any MARTA bus, any MARTA train. Please don't make us add a reading comprehension test for judges into the GA Constitution.

Now that's a use of "including but not limited to" I could get behind. :)

·
68,114 Posts
http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atla...-BIlls-Amended-SB-291-passes-senate-committee

Surprisingly, the amended bill inserts a new three year prohibition period for anybody convicted of any misdemeanor. This would include such innocuous conduct as providing property management services without a real estate broker's license, or the offense of "smoking in public places," see O.C.G.A. 16-12-2. Smoking tobacco on Marta is another misdemeanor, see O.C.G.A. 16-12-120, as is consuming food or beverages or even possessing an open food or beverage container. All of these people, and more, would be disarmed for three years following release from all restraint or supervision.

Since any sexual intercourse outside of marriage is a misdemeanor in Georgia, see O.C.G.A. 16-6-18, one wonders just how far the General Assembly is willing to go in disarming the state's population.

·
Just a Man
6,037 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atla...-BIlls-Amended-SB-291-passes-senate-committee

Surprisingly, the amended bill inserts a new three year prohibition period for anybody convicted of any misdemeanor. This would include such innocuous conduct as providing property management services without a real estate broker's license, or the offense of "smoking in public places," see O.C.G.A. 16-12-2. Smoking tobacco on Marta is another misdemeanor, see O.C.G.A. 16-12-120, as is consuming food or beverages or even possessing an open food or beverage container. All of these people, and more, would be disarmed for three years following release from all restraint or supervision.

Since any sexual intercourse outside of marriage is a misdemeanor in Georgia, see O.C.G.A. 16-6-18, one wonders just how far the General Assembly is willing to go in disarming the state's population.
Sorry......................but that :up: is WACKO!!!!!!!

·
Like a Boss
3,034 Posts
Surprisingly, the amended bill inserts a new three year prohibition period for anybody convicted of any misdemeanor.
I think a LEO on this board once wrote that every traffic ticket in Georgia is a misdemeanor. I don't know if I'm remembering or understanding correctly (I had always thought that tickets were a level below misdemeanors), but if not, would that mean that anybody who gets a speeding ticket and pleads guilty or loses in court would be ineligible for a GFL for three years?

I couldn't support that. I'd lose my GFL for the rest of my life. :(

Why does this bill even exist, when SB308 just had a successful hearing?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'm really upset over the updated language in this bill, and even more upset that the NRA is throwing its support behind this bill.

If Katrina language is their "issue of the year" then they ought to have thrown their support behind SB342. I've written NRA-ILA about this and I suggest other NRA members do as well.

SB-291 in its current form is an anti-bill carry in disguise.

Edit: I'll give the authors of the amended language the benefit of the doubt that this change was well intentioned and not malicious, assuming it is corrected before reaching the senate for a vote. I've contacted the listed sponsors of the bill as well to express my concerns.

·
Swollen Member
11,887 Posts
So it seems HB615 and SB308 are now both dead. It there any chance of this POS SB291 getting amended so it doesn't suck ass so bad?

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,000 Posts
Mrs_Esterhouse said:
So it seems HB615 and SB308 are now both dead. It there any chance of this POS SB291 getting amended so it doesn't suck ass so bad?
None

1 - 20 of 157 Posts