What if...

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by pballfreeek, May 16, 2006.

1. pballfreeek

pballfreeek Guest

So I had a guy out to do some work on my AC today and as he was bending over the unit his shirt (polo type) road up his back. He was wearing a tee shirt under that but it was clearly tucked into one of those tuckable holsters. At the time I did not think anything of it being a gun owner myself. But later I was thinking What if that had been Sally Homemaker seeing what I saw . What would be the legalitys of carring into someone elses home as a service person? The reason I ask is I also am in the in home service industry and I would not mind being able to carry as I am approching some of the places I go into.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Sally Homemaker could ask him to leave. If he refuses, he could be charged with criminal trespass.

3. pballfreeek

pballfreeek Guest

So is that the only law that applies to that situation?

4. wwomack

wwomack New Member

It's the only one that I'm aware of. It's not trespassing if you haven't been asked to leave.

The GFL law has no requirements that you notify property owners of your carry status and also no requirement to carry concealed. Thus, you don't have to have previously informed Sally Homemaker and there is nothing illegal about your carry weapon showing.

The only concern I have would be going into places like the projects. I guess having a weapon in a low income housing project (welfare housing) would be illegal since it's a publically owned building... What's odd about that law is that this is one of the places you would imagine needing your firearm the most.

5. pballfreeek

pballfreeek Guest

Oh good ! I feel so much better knowing that no one in the projects is armed seeing how its against the law. And we all know how well the folks that live there follow the law. :lol:

6. pballfreeek

pballfreeek Guest

They are called public housing . Are they really considered a public building?

7. wwomack

wwomack New Member

I don't know what the courts would classify public housing. The gun carry laws specifically say "publically owned or operated buildings". Technically, the way I read it, public housing is a publically owned building.

This is another of the problems with Georgia's firearm laws. The public gathering law is so vague that it's almost impossible to know 100% if you are legal. Instead of exactly naming the places that are off limits we have a vague "public gathering" statute. It's horrible.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

The Clinton Administration floated some idea to ban guns in the projects and to allow warrantless searches in the projects for guns and drugs, since the buildings were tied to federal money. It did not go anywhere, but a surprising number of "conservatives" jumped on the bandwagon.

9. pballfreeek

pballfreeek Guest

Horriable is not the word. Who do I contact to find out without a doubt?