·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,569 Posts
Now, THAT'S national health care!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Xiclotl said:
Headline from LA Times: What if Obama's healthcare law required every American to buy a gun? How'd you feel about that?
I know for an absolute fact... that the world was indeed coming to an end :shock:

·
Custom User Title
1,663 Posts
I'd be pissed that the gov was requiring people to buy something.

It's a right to keep and bear arms, not a requirement.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I'd buy stock in a few arms companies, and then move...

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
The Militia Act under G. Washington required all males 16-60 (or age arounf there) to keep a musket, 60 rounds, powder and a hatchet, in the event they were called into service of the militia.

·
Super Moderator
69,893 Posts
Aberk said:

Somebody else beat me to the punch, but you need to do a little reading on the history of the Second Amendment and the militia in early America, both colonial and the early republic.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Aberk said:

Somebody else beat me to the punch, but you need to do a little reading on the history of the Second Amendment and the militia in early America, both colonial and the early republic.
This is indeed one of the proofs that the militia is the people.
They were expected to show up with a specified amount of powder and shot.

If the militia were a military organization, wouldn't that have been provided for them?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Aberk said:

People got a lot of stuff wrong in the early days of the republic. The constitution, in my opinion, represents a perfect ideal. People are not perfect, even the ones who wrote it, and as such their implementation is flawed. I might point out that it took us about 200 years to decide that the constitution didn't specifically apply only to white people, despite there being no statement in the document to lead us to believe there was any such restriction. I believe that being a free man means that participation in public service is voluntary.

I'd love for everyone in america to own a gun, but I'm certainly not going to make them.

·
Registered
461 Posts
IMO while it would be great that our right to bear arms would be supported, it would be just another thing that the government would control. While healthcare is a good thing, it shouldn't be forced upon anyone. In Washington's day, I would assume the vast majority already had muskets anyway due to the need to hunt for their own food etc. Today that is not the case. I would love for everyone to have a firearm for protection, but it should be THEIR choice.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
JeF4y said:
I'd buy stock in a few arms companies, and then move...
I've got stock in S&W. :mrgreen: Still...I don't care what they put in Obama Care. No one should be forced to take it.

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
Voluntary participation in public service is certainly a free society’s desire, however, if there is not enough of volunteers, the society will soon be overcome by others. Life was perilous in the early years of our Republic. The colonies were in danger from foreign forces, indigenous populations and even other colonies. Militia laws were established to dictate an orderly method of defense against these perils. Most men in those times did not object quite so strenuously then as they felt a responsibility to defend their families, freedom, and their way of life. Today’s society is different. People expect for someone else to take care of them. Very few people have any responsibility for their own well being. They insist that someone else do it for them. It’s owed to them because they are a free citizen in a Democratic society. But they are still free men, at least until someone comes to take that freedom from them because they did not have the desire or responsibility to defend it.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,914 Posts
I think it is our right and responsibility to have a firearm for self-defense in your home, but I do not think everyone should be forced to go out and buy one, if you currently did not have a firearm in your home.

Hypothtically, let's say we are currently being invaded by a foreign army, and our government needs to arm the "militia" of this country to fight off the foreign invaders, and we were at war, I think it would be perfectly fine for our government to supply every able-bodied male from a certain age group with firearms for the defense of the country. Even then, I don't think it should be forced on everyone. Only those that want to fight in its defense.

I think a responsible citizen should have a firearm in their home, but forcing them to do it isn't so good.

And I do believe that every able-bodied male from 18-whatever is "the militia." America would be such a tough country to invade because of all the gun-owners out there. There would be little Red Dawn scenarios popping up all over the country. We would basically do to them, what the Taliban have been doing to our soldiers.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
A) I would buy stock in whatever gun and/or ammo companies I could.

B) I would buy as much pork as I could seeing as how the price will skyrocket. Hard to butcher something that can fly away.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Since this is hypothetical, I'll bite...

I am sure that this "plan" would come with a limited selection of firearms determined by the health care plan or your employer. They would most likely be cheap Chinese firearms as part of some trade agreement. You would of course not be able to carry these firearms since they are required by this government health care plan, they would be also be government regulated and controlled. Not everyone would qualify and somewill have to pay premiums just to qualify for a plan that is forced upon them.

Since I am military..I can speak to the effectiveness of government health plans. I know a buddy who had wrist surgery not too long ago and took a sharpie and wrote "THIS IS THE WRIST THAT NEEDS SURGERY" on his forearm with an arrow pointing at his wrist. This comes after another guy in the unit had the Doc work on the wrong appendage only to find out he screwed up and got his left and right screwed up! He woke up and the Docs told him they found nothing wrong....really...outcome as expected?

Wake up and and smell what is on the shovel...folks...guess what? IT'S [email protected]!

Flamesuit=on

:screwy:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts